Termite protection

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,017 Times in 1,205 Posts
Default Termite protection

After the warranty of the initial treatment of all foundations in TV by Massey for termites, approximately 5 years, everyone needs to purchase termite protection on their homes. Massey of course will do that. I am sure other companies also do it. Anyone with any recommendations of what they have done so far as termite protection after the initial period is over. And about how much is the yearly coverage of termite protection.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM

We currently are in the same situation......warrenty has expired. Good question - hope some have the answers for us.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Gold member

When I purchased my pre-owned home I selected Dean's Pest Control.

I had noticed their lawn tags frequently in and around the area. But I was really intrigued by the termite inspector they brought in to re-certify my home. Here is a link to a picture of her. Her name is Eve, and isn’t she just a little cutie?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
When I purchased my pre-owned home I selected Dean's Pest Control.

I had noticed their lawn tags frequently in and around the area. But I was really intrigued by the termite inspector they brought in to re-certify my home. Here is a link to a picture of her. Her name is Eve, and isn’t she just a little cutie?
Same here.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Was in same situation. Checked with neighbors to see what they did. Just re-signed with Massey last week. For $499 you get either XX gallons so many feet (forget #s) a 10-yr guarantee plan or bait traps all around perimeter a life-time guarantee plan. Each year you pay either $120 for the liquid or $170 for the bait trap plan. Then comes the attic. That application costs $300 with an annual renewal of $25. We had those flying termites in NJ, so we got this coverage also. Bit the bullet and wrote a check for $799. Hated it!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Sage

I am a little confused. We purchased new homes in March and Dec '06. We have paid Massey "insurance" policy checks every year since. Are you saying that after 5 years everything has to be retreated and we start all over again?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 PM

We closed in 3/03 and have been paying the $120 each year. This year, 8 years later, I received a letter stating we needed a re-treatment as the initial treatment had expired and we would no longer be covered. The re-treatment costs $499 plus $120/yr thereafter for the 10 yr plan or $499 plus $170/yr thereafter for the lifetime plan. Was told by Massey that $499 was a good deal and if I shopped around, the best price I could expect to get would be $679.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

Does anyone know what is with Massey and their "newest" termite protection. We have the whole "enchilada" ==paying them for everything they offer----and now they have come through our neighborhood--Belvedere---offering new termite protection---spraying around the house, etc., for an extra $500.00---we now pay them 100.00 each year for some sort of termite protection. What are your thoughts---does anyone know what the extra protection is for?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Gold member

Okay, we are a smart bunch here, I don't understand how we can fall for sales pitches. Very frustrated with what I am reading here.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Gold member

Has anyone actually had termites in their home in TV? I would not be too concerned unless some of my neighbors were seeing termites.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 PM

I don't get the re-treatment, here in N.J., we had those flying termites swarm in downstairs laundryroom, had a termite guy come out that our pest guy referred us to, he was great, drilled these holes around property, filled with some termite killer stuff and we now only pay a yearly rate of $99 for an annual inspection. Guess if they come back, we would pay more? I dunno, been quite a few years, none of those pesky critters have come back.

Seems a bit of a rip off to me from my experience here is all I'm saying. Now, if they are only coming and spraying property yearly, o.k, a little more each year, but the huge amount and then yearly? I don't get it.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 PM

Now that I think about it, I get it that all homes were new to begin with, and from OP, you HAVE to have termite protection, must be a rule. I also get that no one wants to have termites, so if they have it mandatory to have each owner have it, it's all good then that TV will never have termite issues.

That said, I still think it is way too high from what I have read on having it. Would really love to know why it is so. Anyone know?

I'm a newbie, just bought a lot in Tamarind Grove. I think it is on Carriage Way by the water. At any rate, I am pleased as all get out to actually be on my way to building and then moving to TV!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.