Will lack of snowbirds impact the TV rental market?

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Default Will lack of snowbirds impact the TV rental market?

There is an article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal talking about the difficulty of Canadians driving to their winter homes in Florida, Arizona and Texas. According to this article there are about one million Canadians who spend their winters in the US sunbelt. Does anyone have an opinion as to the impact this will have on the rental market in TV?
Old 10-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Lack of snow birds?
Old 10-15-2020, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Why are you renting your home ???
Old 10-15-2020, 11:19 AM

Don't speak for all northerners (Wisconsin), but for us, COVID-19 makes it almost more likely we will winter in TV. Worst case scenario, everything is shut down. Even so, we can still walk, bike, and kayak. Highly likely golf will be open, likely pickleball will still be an option. Anyway, I think the demand will still be there.

The difficulty is the uncertainty, and Canadians have the international complication. You're not 100% certain the U.S. will let you in at the time you want to come down. Will flights be available. Will you have to quarantine 14 days in TV, then 14 days when you return to Canada. That's a month of no fun. You have to predict the future, but most homeowners want rental payments up front. Are you going to plunk down $12K in advance? Some will, some may decide to skip a year.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,854 Times in 893 Posts

currently, yes, the entire economic disruption is effecting the rental market, mostly because the rates are too high with the economic conditions, to get the usual snow birds to foot the same bill this year, with less certainty of income, as well as the canadians. However, the long term canadians, ie the 3-4 month renters shouldn't have a problem, just inconvenience, but the one monthers will be few and far between.

Note this is an opinion / prediction which the accuracy will not be known for a few more months. So its not wrong, but then neither is your opinion or prediction yet.

sportsguy
Old 10-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Will Covid-19 impact the economy this winter? Probably.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
There is an article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal talking about the difficulty of Canadians driving to their winter homes in Florida, Arizona and Texas. According to this article there are about one million Canadians who spend their winters in the US sunbelt. Does anyone have an opinion as to the impact this will have on the rental market in TV?
I hope so
Old 10-15-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Will a girl from a small mining town in Colorado win the love of a wealthy and titled Englishman?

Only a few of us who go back to radio days will know what this means. Every time I see a question on here that starts out with a "Will a " I think of this. Prize to know the name of the radio show from the forties.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Platinum member

No lack of snowbirds, and still too much uncertainty. We are members of a club in South Fl. which does have a high% of Canadian members. Per our pro if a Canadian comes to the US and gets sick from Covid, their insurance will not pay for Covid related medical treatment.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:35 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,427 Posts

I'm not sure if this is true but I was told that the Canadians would not have medical insurance to cover any Covid related expenses outside of Canada and that is stopping a lot of them from coming down.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Canadians can fly or even take a train here and have their car & stuff transported commercially. Only "personal" driving (or walking ) across the border is not allowed. Can't see that as being a terrible inconvenience other than some more expense but if they have a second home here I'm sure it won't bankrupt them (there are also quite a few here already down in Broward county where a friend lives in a condo). While it may stop some I'm guessing it won't be that many.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
The impact is that there will be more rentals available and prices will drop.

I know two Canadian couples who were planning on coming to TV this year and can't because they drive, bringing their bikes, dog(not huge but too big to fly), clubs, etc. Too much to ship. If the border opens, which at this point is unlikely until at least January, this situation may stimulate a flurry of rentals at the last minute.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:47 PM
John41

There will be concern that if they need an expensive medical procedure they won’t get back into Canada during a lockdown or if they need to quarantine 2 weeks.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:08 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

If the winter wave of Covid 19 comes, it could have an effect on Canadians coming to Florida. That is one uncertainty. Secondly, don’t have even an educated guess as to how many Canadians winter here in TV. We have good friends that winter every year in TV and just talked to them yesterday and they are definitely still planning to be here on January 1, 2021. Our friends are from Illinois. Most rentals require a significant deposit and most Snowbirds would not like to lose that deposit without enjoying the amenities of The Villages. There will be significant visitors this winter. In numbers of last year? Too early to know IMHO.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:33 AM
Location: Strongsville, OH and occasionally the Village of Buttonwood

Yes, it has impacted us. We had three separate couples wanting to rent our house and their children did want them to come to Florida.
Closed Thread

Tags
article, canadians, market, rental, impact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.