Will lack of snowbirds impact the TV rental market?

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 06:10 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
There is an article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal talking about the difficulty of Canadians driving to their winter homes in Florida, Arizona and Texas. According to this article there are about one million Canadians who spend their winters in the US sunbelt. Does anyone have an opinion as to the impact this will have on the rental market in TV?
Theres no difficulty with them driving here. Canada mandates that anyone who travels out of canada MUST quarantine for 2 weeks when they get home. Thats the issue. Some dont have time for that
Old 10-16-2020, 06:14 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Theres no difficulty with them driving here. Canada mandates that anyone who travels out of canada MUST quarantine for 2 weeks when they get home. Thats the issue. Some dont have time for that
. Also, their insurance is void if they get the virus while traveling
Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Will a girl from a small mining town in Colorado win the love of a wealthy and titled Englishman?

Only a few of us who go back to radio days will know what this means. Every time I see a question on here that starts out with a "Will a " I think of this. Prize to know the name of the radio show from the forties.
I'm not that old, lol, but this looks to be from "Our Gal Sunday", originally airing in 1937.

Our Gal Sunday - The Original Old-Time Radio BBS
Old 10-16-2020, 06:30 AM

The Shadow
Old 10-16-2020, 06:34 AM

Actually some travel insurance companies will cover for Covid-19.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
No lack of snowbirds, and still too much uncertainty. We are members of a club in South Fl. which does have a high% of Canadian members. Per our pro if a Canadian comes to the US and gets sick from Covid, their insurance will not pay for Covid related medical treatment.
Lack of insurance coverage is the reason my many relatives in Canada will not be down to the US this year with our poor control of Covid
Old 10-16-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
There is an article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal talking about the difficulty of Canadians driving to their winter homes in Florida, Arizona and Texas. According to this article there are about one million Canadians who spend their winters in the US sunbelt. Does anyone have an opinion as to the impact this will have on the rental market in TV?
I manage around 40 Rentals in The Villages an the requests are considerably lower as well as a lot of people holding off committing to the Prime Season. Normally at this time I am all out of inventory for Jan-April, but currently have 7-8 properties with some time left.

I do feel there is a pent up glut of people ready rent and any positive news will get them off the fence.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:29 AM

The border is closed between Canada and US. It was set to expire10/21 but their PM days he is extending it. I would say it should have some affect
Old 10-16-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
The Shadow
That would have been my guess. Just bc that is the one and only that comes to mind.

“ Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...The Shadow knows.”

Never heard a radio show. Guess I was just born too late. But my daddy always talked about The Shadow.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Who cares !!!
Old 10-16-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Who cares? It will be a relief for traffic.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I'm not sure if this is true but I was told that the Canadians would not have medical insurance to cover any Covid related expenses outside of Canada and that is stopping a lot of them from coming down.
I'm Canadian and have to fly down instead of drive. I know a lot of friends who are opting out this winter because of Covid, so yes I believe the rental market will be affected in a negative manner. As for medical insurance, most companies are not covering for Covid, but Medipac is, up to 2 million coverage.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I usually rent my home in villages and then rent in either Hawaii or Miami Beach , I usually add another $3,000 over the rent I receive and live in great place I’m not going this year because why spend all that money and still be wearing a mask and being somewhat careful . I think the villages rental market will do well because there single family homes , spread out and you can do many things without a crowd . Both buildings I rent in Miami Beach and Hawaii are not all sold out yet, I believe people are staying away from condos , I have had 5 different couples ask about my home , I’ll miss my 3 months at waters and edge but hopefully I’ll see the water in Boston next summer
Old 10-16-2020, 09:49 AM
Default Rentals

Quote:
—————
If we had known the vast number of investment income properties in The Villages for short term rent, we would not have invested in buying our retirement home here. Each street has at least 2 short term rental properties. One never gets to know their neighbors. Face it, short term renters abuse our community and amenities, due to lack of vested interest. Sure, folks like to rent before considering to buy.. however, isn’t that what The Villages Lifestyle Program is for? We do not truly live in a Retirement Community. We do however live in a Vacation Club Community.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paporter View Post
—————
If we had known the vast number of investment income properties in The Villages for short term rent, we would not invested in buying our retirement home here. Each street has at least 2 short term rental properties. One never gets to know their neighbors. Face it, short term renters abuse our community and amenities, due to lack of vested interest. Sure, folks like to rent before considering to buy.. however, isn’t that what The Villages Lifestyle Program is for? We do not truly live in a Retirement Community, we do, however live in Vacation Club Community.
I do understand your valid complaint. The Villages still beats the pants over any other place similar I have ever encountered.

The rental issue and the general business issue all over the world points to a very dismal economic situation for all of us inhabiting the planet.

I will repeat the advice I have given to my children over and over and over. Take a deep breath and save your money.

Tags
article, canadians, market, rental, impact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.