Will lack of snowbirds impact the TV rental market?

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 10:55 AM

I think another big deal is insurance. We have friends from England that come every year but not now because of ins. Next door neighbors are canadian. Haven't showed up uey
Old 10-16-2020, 12:03 PM

I have a courtyard villa that I rent every season. My tenants for 2021 had to cancel because they live in Edinburgh, Scotland. I gave them back their entire security because this was not their fault. I think many owners will experience this because of Covid.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

Well I know it’s not Fibber McGee and Molly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Will a girl from a small mining town in Colorado win the love of a wealthy and titled Englishman?

Only a few of us who go back to radio days will know what this means. Every time I see a question on here that starts out with a "Will a " I think of this. Prize to know the name of the radio show from the forties.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:46 PM

Good less people and more golf !!
Old 10-16-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I'm not sure if this is true but I was told that the Canadians would not have medical insurance to cover any Covid related expenses outside of Canada and that is stopping a lot of them from coming down.
Lots of misinformation. I am Canadian. I booked a flight for the month of November. I just purchased 5 million dollars of out of country medical insurance, zero deductible for $200 including a Covid rider. Unfortunately at this time we cannot drive across the border but there are flights.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:35 PM
Gold member

The Canadian owners will just rent out their homes here in TV so there will be an even higher percentage of renters here this winter. That's my prediction.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
There is an article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal talking about the difficulty of Canadians driving to their winter homes in Florida, Arizona and Texas. According to this article there are about one million Canadians who spend their winters in the US sunbelt. Does anyone have an opinion as to the impact this will have on the rental market in TV?
There are plenty of rentals available in TV, issue as I understand it it the boarder is still closed and they can’t drive down but could fly.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Default Nothing available on rental sites

Last time we looked, there were no rentals available in the villages on home rental sites such as Airbnb. That would seem to indicate that if the Canadians are not coming, someone else is taking their place. Our renters from Michigan are enthusiastically looking forward to their winter in TV.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:35 PM
Default plenty of snowbirds

I think we'll see plenty of snowbirds because there are a lot of activities open down here despite covid, and it the warmth will still be a draw. I am more interested in the impact of the apartments like the lofts on the rental market. Will the lofts, the planned apartments at the town squares, and the Hacienda Hills facility drive down the cost of rental homes or cause more empty rental homes?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:25 AM
Sage

Best thing that could happen is NO RENTERS show up. Be much better without all those people that have no investment in the community, and landlords that pay no attention to the condition of their property.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,050 Times in 2,740 Posts

Driving around in the golf cart I have definitely seen way more signs for both homes for sale and for rent than ever before. The pandemic is definitely effecting the housing market regardless of what people want to believe. Uncertainty abounds.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default I wonder if you complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond2005 View Post
Who cares? It will be a relief for traffic.
that it’s the family’s fault when businesses shut down??
Old 10-17-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default As of today there were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcreason View Post
Last time we looked, there were no rentals available in the villages on home rental sites such as Airbnb. That would seem to indicate that if the Canadians are not coming, someone else is taking their place. Our renters from Michigan are enthusiastically looking forward to their winter in TV.
300 Airbnb on web site for villages
Old 10-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

A lot of Florida businesses depend on the winter season to get through the year, even in good times.
Unless the shortfall is made up from renters within the USA, many businesses who are already suffering due to Corona, will be gone next year.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
There is an article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal talking about the difficulty of Canadians driving to their winter homes in Florida, Arizona and Texas. According to this article there are about one million Canadians who spend their winters in the US sunbelt. Does anyone have an opinion as to the impact this will have on the rental market in TV?
Personal opinion -- Yes, there may be less Canadian renters due to international travel restrictions. HOWEVER, there may be MORE northerners renting in the Villages due to international travel restrictions. I believe people are anxious to travel and the challenges with traveling internationally may cause more domestic travel that offsets (possibly more than offsets) the Canadian impact.
Closed Thread

Tags
article, canadians, market, rental, impact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.