Will Rabbit Ears Work in TV?

Will Rabbit Ears Work in TV?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
TV should be free
  #11  
Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Virginians's Avatar
Virginians Virginians is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 75
Default TV should be free

If you can golf in TV for free why would you pay big bucks for TV (television)
Of course you can't use rabbit ears, Stations are as much as 60 miles away and in all directions. When we moved to TV in Oct 2009 we had cable for one month paid by previous owner. The quality of the picture was so bad I thought we went back in time 30 years. I ordered an antenna from http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1073325.html. 2 days later we were back in business. 4 major networks plus PBS and 12 other channels all in HD.
Not only HD but most OTA are broadcast in 1080p while almost all Satellite and cable are not and even HD is extra money. For some reason I am not allowed to insert an image or file so I can't show you a picture of our antenna in TV. PM me and I will send you a picture of our house in TV with antenna.

  #12  
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM
garsha garsha is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 104
Default

It is my understanding that Comcast does have a vacation or seasonal program at a much lower rate if you are here enough to warrant that. Otherwise when my husband were only visiting the house for a week or two at a time, we set up a DVD. Not incredibly satisfying but better than total silence when you just want to kick it for an hour or two.
__________________
California and The Villages
Sponsored Links
  #13  
Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM
ricthemic ricthemic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginians View Post
If you can golf in TV for free why would you pay big bucks for TV (television)
Of course you can't use rabbit ears, Stations are as much as 60 miles away and in all directions. When we moved to TV in Oct 2009 we had cable for one month paid by previous owner. The quality of the picture was so bad I thought we went back in time 30 years. I ordered an antenna from http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1073325.html. 2 days later we were back in business. 4 major networks plus PBS and 12 other channels all in HD.
Not only HD but most OTA are broadcast in 1080p while almost all Satellite and cable are not and even HD is extra money. For some reason I am not allowed to insert an image or file so I can't show you a picture of our antenna in TV. PM me and I will send you a picture of our house in TV with antenna.
Thanks, So it it OK to use this in TV? It should be because it looks the same size as the direct tv dish that is all over my neighborhood even mounted on a pipe in backyards. Can you feed more than one TV with a spilter and still get a good picture? Thanks
  #14  
Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Virginians's Avatar
Virginians Virginians is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 75
Default

I use a splitter, one to DVR and one to television tuner. This allows me to record two shows and watch a third such as Sunday morning at 9:00 AM. Works fine. Yes the antenna is actually smaller than a dish. The law allows any antenna smaller than 3' in diameter. Dish network sells a DVR for OTA that requires no monthly fee (DTV Pal). One of the networks sends a signal to provide tv guide information. It is not as reliable as T-VO but it is free.
  #15  
Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 AM
EdV's Avatar
EdV EdV is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Stonecrest
Posts: 1,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginians View Post
....Not only HD but most OTA are broadcast in 1080p while almost all Satellite and cable are not......
Not true, and in fact, quite the opposite:

In the United States, 1080p over the air broadcasts still do not exist as of 2010; all major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. Satellite service though has many channels that utilize the 1080p/24-30 format.
  #16  
Old 02-20-2010, 08:29 AM
rabonkmontage@msn.com's Avatar
rabonkmontage@msn.com rabonkmontage@msn.com is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SCRANTON PA,VILLAGE OF CALUMET
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginians View Post
I use a splitter, one to DVR and one to television tuner. This allows me to record two shows and watch a third such as Sunday morning at 9:00 AM. Works fine. Yes the antenna is actually smaller than a dish. The law allows any antenna smaller than 3' in diameter. Dish network sells a DVR for OTA that requires no monthly fee (DTV Pal). One of the networks sends a signal to provide tv guide information. It is not as reliable as T-VO but it is free.
Do you have or need cable or dish also to receive OTA programs?
  #17  
Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Talk Host's Avatar
Talk Host Talk Host is offline
Founder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginians View Post
The law allows any antenna smaller than 3' in diameter. Dish network sells a DVR for OTA that requires no monthly fee (DTV Pal). One of the networks sends a signal to provide tv guide information. It is not as reliable as T-VO but it is free.

Can you tell us more about the 3' diameter rule. I apparently was misinformed. I understood that visible antennae of any kind are not allowed. Many many many ham radio antennas are far smaller than 3' but are not permitted. Some of the ham radio antennas are so small that people "HIDE" them inside their flag poles. If they are smaller than 3' in diameter, they won't have to hide them.
  #18  
Old 02-20-2010, 08:57 AM
rabonkmontage@msn.com's Avatar
rabonkmontage@msn.com rabonkmontage@msn.com is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SCRANTON PA,VILLAGE OF CALUMET
Posts: 64
Default

Ham radio antennas might not be allowed because their signal interferes with other signals.
  #19  
Old 02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
BogeyBoy's Avatar
BogeyBoy BogeyBoy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hemingway
Posts: 1,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
we bought a new LG flatscreen LCD and when we cycled through to set up the channels, we get quite a few over the air, maybe a dozen or more - enough for our time here so far. good luck
What kind of antenna did you use?
__________________
New York, California, Pennsylvania, Florida
  #20  
Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Virginians's Avatar
Virginians Virginians is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
Not true, and in fact, quite the opposite:

In the United States, 1080p over the air broadcasts still do not exist as of 2010; all major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. Satellite service though has many channels that utilize the 1080p/24-30 format.
I stand corrected 1080i or 720p. Still cable and satellite can only compare if you pay extra for HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Can you tell us more about the 3' diameter rule. I apparently was misinformed. I understood that visible antennae of any kind are not allowed. Many many many ham radio antennas are far smaller than 3' but are not permitted. Some of the ham radio antennas are so small that people "HIDE" them inside their flag poles. If they are smaller than 3' in diameter, they won't have to hide them.
The 3' rule (actually 1 meter) is in the FCC rule you quoted here on 02-17-2008 http://www.talkofthevillages.com/for...hlight=antenna

The rule was for video only but there have been some additions, not sure about Ham Radios.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.