Will The Real Caller Please Stand Up.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 AM
Original Topic
refeik refeik is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 163
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Will The Real Caller Please Stand Up.

Every day we receive at least ten calls on our house phone. I have phones with the ID feature. These particular calls come up on the ID box as people I know, businesses in the Villages, friends and even relatives. Most of the times when answering the calls, there is no caller there and I suspect it is a robo call. On the other hand, when I do answer quickly, the actual caller is a business that is wanting to sell me something. If you try calling back the number, you will not get an answer.
  #2  
Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Brenda.ball's Avatar
Brenda.ball Brenda.ball is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Murfreesboro, TN and The Village of Fenney
Posts: 123
Thanks: 16
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo is a free service for your land line to block robo calls. There is a monthly charge for mobile phones of $1.99/month.
__________________
"...achieving a dream is about more than just what you accomplish. Its about who you become in the process." ~John C. Maxwell
  #3  
Old 03-27-2018, 09:33 AM
fw102807
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Yup, it is called spoofing. We do not answer unless we know who it is, the rest we let go to voicemail. We also signed up for Nomorobo and that has decreased the robo calls substantially.
  #4  
Old 03-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Chatbrat Chatbrat is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 307 Times in 162 Posts
Default

we only use cell phones--our phones are out of North Carolina-if we see any calls coming in with an area code we don't recognize or if they are from NC--we don't answer it
  #5  
Old 03-27-2018, 10:46 AM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 1,571
Thanks: 55
Thanked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Just this morning between 8:30AM and 11AM I got 2 spam calls and my wife got 2 spam calls on our 6mi round trip walk from our house to LSL. We get on avg 3-4 a day on some days 6 or 7 each. Unfortunately NOMOROBO does nothing for us because most all calls we get are spoofed calls with legit numbers and don't get blocked. I'm sure it may stop some but none of the kind we get. If I could find a way to block a specific area code or exchange that would eliminate probably 75% but the 1 or 2 apps that do that are no good for other reasons. I canceled NOMOROBO because FOR US it was useless.
  #6  
Old 03-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is online now
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,448
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 625 Times in 373 Posts
Default

For your cell phone from The Playstore download Mr. Number. It gets smarter as you use it and you teach it the numbers you don't want. It has worked well for over a year. I got it from TOTV'S so it has to be good. A bad number get through here and there but very few after a while.
  #7  
Old 03-27-2018, 10:59 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,104
Thanks: 54
Thanked 200 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Just this morning between 8:30AM and 11AM I got 2 spam calls and my wife got 2 spam calls on our 6mi round trip walk from our house to LSL. We get on avg 3-4 a day on some days 6 or 7 each. Unfortunately NOMOROBO does nothing for us because most all calls we get are spoofed calls with legit numbers and don't get blocked. I'm sure it may stop some but none of the kind we get. If I could find a way to block a specific area code or exchange that would eliminate probably 75% but the 1 or 2 apps that do that are no good for other reasons. I canceled NOMOROBO because FOR US it was useless.
I wonder what you mean by a legit number. Do you mean it comes through ID as someone you know and whose number you wouldn't want to block?

Otherwise... I was getting robo calls from Michigan (My cell has MI area code) every day, many times a day. My friend told me about the app "hiya" for cell phones. I installed the app. When a call comes that is ID'd by hiya as robo (or even if it isn't but I want to block the number), the app gives me the option to block.

What I found is that the robo callers simply changed telephone numbers once they were blocked. But I kept blocking and blocking, and the calls have all stopped.

You don't have to be with the cell phone to block a phone number. You can open the hiya app at any time, and it will list the calls you have received. Then you can block any of them that you want.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
  #8  
Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 AM
VillageIdiots VillageIdiots is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Default

When "spoofing" really started getting rampant, I just had my land line disconnected. I really only kept it because it cost almost nothing when bundled with my internet service. I used it for business calls now and then but now most of that is done over Skype or Webex anyway. In addition to the constant spoof calls, the local dept of health somehow had my number in their fax machine and I would get bombed with auto-fax calls over and over at least once a month even after contacting them several times to fix their side. Now, we get the spoof calls on our cell phones. Rarely, but on occasion, the incoming number will match one of my contacts making it look like someone I know is calling. I'm on every do not call list I can find. Now, when I answer my phone, if there is any hesitation or electronic noises on the other end before anyone says anything, I just hang up. They almost never call right back. One clue I have found is that when a number matches one of my contacts, my iPhone somehow knows something is up and puts "maybe" in front of the contact's name. If you are using a smart phone and not a land line, you can at least block the number from calling back successfully again. But you probably don't want to do that if the number belongs to someone you know and the spoofers usually don't call from the same number every time.
  #9  
Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM
valuemkt valuemkt is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Posts: 351
Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I have a kept a landline phone for weeding out nuisance calls .. Any form I fill out has this number .. I get about 10-12 nuisance calls a day, which go to the digital voicemail. Once a week I electronically check to see if there is anything important left there .. Rarely is there .. I saw the NOMOROBO post a few weeks ago, and did the free registration for the landline .. It has MAYBE taken 1 or at max 2 calls per day away .. I would go crazy if all of these calls went to my cell ,, Bottom line, the ten bucks a month it costs for landline as a media package is worth it to me .. I wouldn't pay a dime for NOMOROBO
  #10  
Old 03-27-2018, 12:32 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,222
Thanks: 61
Thanked 490 Times in 270 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Every day we receive at least ten calls on our house phone. I have phones with the ID feature. These particular calls come up on the ID box as people I know, businesses in the Villages, friends and even relatives. Most of the times when answering the calls, there is no caller there and I suspect it is a robo call. On the other hand, when I do answer quickly, the actual caller is a business that is wanting to sell me something. If you try calling back the number, you will not get an answer.
It is not a good idea to call back a number that you do not know. You could be making an overseas call that that will cost you a lot of money. The charge will show up on your phone bill and your phone provider will not remove the charge because you made the call and they have to pay the overseas provider.
  #11  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM
refeik refeik is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 163
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I wonder what you mean by a legit number. Do you mean it comes through ID as someone you know and whose number you wouldn't want to block?

Otherwise... I was getting robo calls from Michigan (My cell has MI area code) every day, many times a day. My friend told me about the app "hiya" for cell phones. I installed the app. When a call comes that is ID'd by hiya as robo (or even if it isn't but I want to block the number), the app gives me the option to block.

What I found is that the robo callers simply changed telephone numbers once they were blocked. But I kept blocking and blocking, and the calls have all stopped.

You don't have to be with the cell phone to block a phone number. You can open the hiya app at any time, and it will list the calls you have received. Then you can block any of them that you want.
Yes that is exactly what I mean. Most of the bogus calls come up on my ID box as being our local Villages number prefixes and a name such as Dick Smith. A recent one was from "The Villages"....
  #12  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:03 PM
refeik refeik is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 163
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is not a good idea to call back a number that you do not know. You could be making an overseas call that that will cost you a lot of money. The charge will show up on your phone bill and your phone provider will not remove the charge because you made the call and they have to pay the overseas provider.
Great Information , Thanks.
  #13  
Old 03-27-2018, 03:17 PM
sunny70 sunny70 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

We got rid of our Landline phone about five years ago. Since then we use my cell phone as our home number (hubby has his own number ). We rarely get a Robo call. During campaign season, no calls! Works for us!
  #14  
Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 1,571
Thanks: 55
Thanked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I wonder what you mean by a legit number. Do you mean it comes through ID as someone you know and whose number you wouldn't want to block?

Otherwise... I was getting robo calls from Michigan (My cell has MI area code) every day, many times a day. My friend told me about the app "hiya" for cell phones. I installed the app. When a call comes that is ID'd by hiya as robo (or even if it isn't but I want to block the number), the app gives me the option to block.

What I found is that the robo callers simply changed telephone numbers once they were blocked. But I kept blocking and blocking, and the calls have all stopped.

You don't have to be with the cell phone to block a phone number. You can open the hiya app at any time, and it will list the calls you have received. Then you can block any of them that you want.
Virtually All the calls I get are from actual peoples numbers randomly chosen (spoofed) by whoever the spammer is so it will never get "flagged" by any APP. I have even received calls from MYSELF.

My cell starts with 908-377-xxxx and my wife 908-451-xxxx. 95% of the calls come from those exchanges (happens to all be Verizon Mobile numbers). My wife got about 15 calls 2 weeks ago from people who were called by HER angry at her.

There is ZERO way to stop those calls since they are all "real" "legit" numbers.

As for blocking ... any phone service allows blocking. On an iPhone just tag it as blocked in recent calls, no app needed. But it still makes no difference as rarely does the same number call twice. We both have about 500 blocked numbers in each of our phones over the years but rarely does the same number call.

The apps like NOMOROBO are good for spam calls that always use the same number for multiple calls, for our circumstance they are useless. Blocking them (although we do) is a waste of time for the reasons above for us. YMMV.
  #15  
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 AM
malbe malbe is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pennsylvania & The Villages
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We purchased an AT&T home phone that contains "smart call blocker" from Sam's Club. The caller has to state their name and you can decide if you want to pick up or not. All of these type of unwanted calls have been eliminated and our phone never rings. If I remember correctly, it was about $50.
Closed Thread

Tags
calls, caller, answer, hand, actual

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.