Will The Real Caller Please Stand Up.

Will The Real Caller Please Stand Up.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I wonder what you mean by a legit number. Do you mean it comes through ID as someone you know and whose number you wouldn't want to block?

Otherwise... I was getting robo calls from Michigan (My cell has MI area code) every day, many times a day. My friend told me about the app "hiya" for cell phones. I installed the app. When a call comes that is ID'd by hiya as robo (or even if it isn't but I want to block the number), the app gives me the option to block.

What I found is that the robo callers simply changed telephone numbers once they were blocked. But I kept blocking and blocking, and the calls have all stopped.

You don't have to be with the cell phone to block a phone number. You can open the hiya app at any time, and it will list the calls you have received. Then you can block any of them that you want.
Yes that is exactly what I mean. Most of the bogus calls come up on my ID box as being our local Villages number prefixes and a name such as Dick Smith. A recent one was from "The Villages"....

Old 03-27-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is not a good idea to call back a number that you do not know. You could be making an overseas call that that will cost you a lot of money. The charge will show up on your phone bill and your phone provider will not remove the charge because you made the call and they have to pay the overseas provider.
Great Information , Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2018, 03:17 PM

We got rid of our Landline phone about five years ago. Since then we use my cell phone as our home number (hubby has his own number ). We rarely get a Robo call. During campaign season, no calls! Works for us!
Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I wonder what you mean by a legit number. Do you mean it comes through ID as someone you know and whose number you wouldn't want to block?

Otherwise... I was getting robo calls from Michigan (My cell has MI area code) every day, many times a day. My friend told me about the app "hiya" for cell phones. I installed the app. When a call comes that is ID'd by hiya as robo (or even if it isn't but I want to block the number), the app gives me the option to block.

What I found is that the robo callers simply changed telephone numbers once they were blocked. But I kept blocking and blocking, and the calls have all stopped.

You don't have to be with the cell phone to block a phone number. You can open the hiya app at any time, and it will list the calls you have received. Then you can block any of them that you want.
Virtually All the calls I get are from actual peoples numbers randomly chosen (spoofed) by whoever the spammer is so it will never get "flagged" by any APP. I have even received calls from MYSELF.

My cell starts with 908-377-xxxx and my wife 908-451-xxxx. 95% of the calls come from those exchanges (happens to all be Verizon Mobile numbers). My wife got about 15 calls 2 weeks ago from people who were called by HER angry at her.

There is ZERO way to stop those calls since they are all "real" "legit" numbers.

As for blocking ... any phone service allows blocking. On an iPhone just tag it as blocked in recent calls, no app needed. But it still makes no difference as rarely does the same number call twice. We both have about 500 blocked numbers in each of our phones over the years but rarely does the same number call.

The apps like NOMOROBO are good for spam calls that always use the same number for multiple calls, for our circumstance they are useless. Blocking them (although we do) is a waste of time for the reasons above for us. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 AM

We purchased an AT&T home phone that contains "smart call blocker" from Sam's Club. The caller has to state their name and you can decide if you want to pick up or not. All of these type of unwanted calls have been eliminated and our phone never rings. If I remember correctly, it was about $50.
Closed Thread

Tags
calls, caller, answer, hand, actual