Will snowbirds return?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob3302 View Post
Why would we come back to the epicenter???? In this county in Wisconsin we have had 1 death and average 6 new cases a day. Pretty scary looking at the counties in around the Villages.

BTW we have great access to great medical facilities like Mayo.
There are not many cases in TV - it is mostly Orlando and Miami area. I have a LOT of friends and relatives who have had it in Wisconsin(where I live now). Now you have to wear a mask here. I WISH I could go to Florida (oops, I am for 2 weeks on the 9th YEAH!). Can't wait.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartianchick View Post
My husband and I became snowbirds when he retired 5 years ago. I was an independent contractor and could work from anywhere. We own our condo and tended to spend at least 2 months each winter in it. Last year, we were unable to spend any time there due to caring for my mom. This year we only spent a couple of days for the same reason and the added fact that I decided to go back to work. This upcoming winter, I could probably carve out a couple of weeks to visit our condo. (We really miss it!) However, the threat of COVID-19 makes us unwilling to travel to Florida now. Florida's unwillingness to take strong measures to combat the virus make us unwilling to risk our lives. We know that we could shelter in place in FL, as we have in NY. However, we don't really see the advantage to doing so. If there is snow shoveling to be done, we can either do it ourselves of hire someone else to take care of it. Our area of NY gets a lot of it!

In NY, people seem to take the precautions more seriously and it shows in our current COVID #s. My county is below 1% for new cases. Don't get me wrong...we aren't perfect but we don't see the same level of resistance to masking as we hear about in the south. We won't be coming back to Florida until the state gets a handle on controlling the virus. We personally know of people who have gotten the virus in NY and died. We know of two who have had extremely rough bouts with COVID. One had lesions in her throat due to being intubated. She is in her mid-50s with no underlying health conditions.She now has serious scarring of the lungs, too.The other is a man in his early 50s who likely had the virus (thought it was flu) earlier than was believed possible. He tested positive for the antibodies and is still having issues with walking and digestion. He's lost nearly 40 pounds and he really didn't have any weight to lose.

There is no reason to believe that herd immunity is even possible at this point because most people's antibodies to COVID drop within a few months after contracting the disease. In other words, they can become infected a second time and have different organs attacked by the virus. We also know that the experiences of New Yorkers and those from other states that were hit early in the Covid-crisis are the reason that the number of deaths in Florida and other late-blooming states are not higher. Doctors have learned about the virus by studying the situation in NY and Washington State. That information is helping to inform new treatments and keep folks alive in Florida today.

Coincidentally, my husband and I were planning to buy a house in Canada to serve as our main summer residence. That plan has been placed on hold because we cannot cross the border due to COVID. However, most Canadians that we've spoken to are absolutely appalled by the way that the disease is running through the American population. They don't want the border to open anytime soon and many are re-thinking their winter homes. There are many other warm places that would welcome Canadians and their dollars during the winter months. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this triggered some shift in winter in migrations from Canada...and also from the UK. The entire world is watching the US and they are giving us a failing grade.

Personally, we aren't planning to sell or rent our Florida condo. We can afford to wait out the coronavirus. We bought before the prices fully recovered from the 2008 crash. However, we can't afford the long-term health effects that COVID can cause. For that reason, we won't return until things are reasonably safe again.
Not sure where you get your information about antibodies. Probably the same "experts" who said 2.1 million would die in the US from this. I just looked at the wecams for NYC and they tell a different story - along with the APPLE mobility index being up there also - I don't see a lot of masks, and there are a lot of people out. Looks sort of like the Orlando and Miami webcams.

This virus seems to take the same route when it gets a hold in an area - look at the NY case curve and the florida case curve will look the same in 2 months. They all do.. and before you criticize Florida 32,401 have died in NY. 7083 in Florida. Florida has about 3 million more people. 32 total Covid deaths in Sumter county with the oldest average age in the USA says to me they have done a much better job than NY. Those are the facts.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAnn View Post
New York has done a phenomenal Job. My son is in graduate school in Rochester and refuses to come home to Indiana for a visit because of the almost fanatical resistance to masks and social distancing. As a result, Indiana daily positive numbers have started to dramatically increase. New York was willing to do the hard work and is now reaping the rewards. Everyone can learn from that.
That "phenomenal job" resulted in over 6,000 deaths in New York nursing homes.

Fact is there are increases happening now around the world including in countries that have been held up as paragons of virtue in how they handled the initial outbreak. Unless and until the younger generation wises up about the virus, the spikes will continue.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

The latest curves---- soon this discussion will be mute - Florida is over the hump, but of course with a MUCH lower death rate... I tend to believe it is less about the government and more about the doctors figuring out how to deal with the treatment.

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	85610   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.GIF
Views:	324
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	85611  
Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
That "phenomenal job" resulted in over 6,000 deaths in New York nursing homes.

Fact is there are increases happening now around the world including in countries that have been held up as paragons of virtue in how they handled the initial outbreak. Unless and until the younger generation wises up about the virus, the spikes will continue.

Posting this specifically to look back at in 3 years. I agree with your first statement. Your second I don't. This thing seems to burn itself out after hitting a certain amount of the population..... It will burn itself out, if it comes back it will be at a much lower level. Very little difference between locked down and not locked down - look at my post above. NY, NJ were completely locked down. Florida and AZ not. Curves look pretty similar.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Posting this specifically to look back at in 3 years. I agree with your first statement. Your second I don't. This thing seems to burn itself out after hitting a certain amount of the population..... It will burn itself out, if it comes back it will be at a much lower level. Very little difference between locked down and not locked down - look at my post above. NY, NJ were completely locked down. Florida and AZ not. Curves look pretty similar.
I don't disagree with you and that was my point about other countries, some of which locked down totally and some that didn't, now seeing the same younger generation
case spike. My guess is they will see the same pattern as here, a sharp rise in cases with no sharp rise in deaths, followed by a decline in both.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
There are not many cases in TV - it is mostly Orlando and Miami area. I have a LOT of friends and relatives who have had it in Wisconsin(where I live now). Now you have to wear a mask here. I WISH I could go to Florida (oops, I am for 2 weeks on the 9th YEAH!). Can't wait.
40 deaths in Sumter County versus 1 death in Lacrosse. I am staying here to snowmobile and ice fish etc. Seems more fun than going to the squares with no music...just sayin.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Comparing the the density of New York especially the urban areas of NYCity with Florida is a non starter , before they even knew much about virus they were in deep trouble but fought back with a lot of discipline, unlike here where there is no plan . In regards to snow birds , I just got my place rented for the 3 winter months with a non returnable deposit , I’m off to Thailand for those 3 months, I’ve followed all the health rules and I’ll be 82 in December and hopefully the adventures will start again
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

We have some that decided not to leave as they usually do.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAnn View Post
New York has done a phenomenal Job. My son is in graduate school in Rochester and refuses to come home to Indiana for a visit because of the almost fanatical resistance to masks and social distancing. As a result, Indiana daily positive numbers have started to dramatically increase. New York was willing to do the hard work and is now reaping the rewards. Everyone can learn from that.
I will agree with you about the job New York has done. My employer has a production facility 23 miles from Rochester which I am in daily contact with. From my colleagues in that plant, they report very few cases of COVID-19 in the area around Rochester.

As of yesterday, New York's 7 day rolling average positivity rate is 1%. Illinois (where I live) positivity rate is now 4.2% and that rate has been on the rise for the past few weeks. . Indiana's governor enacted a mask mandate a couple of weeks ago, but he has received some pushback. Indiana's 7 day positivity rate from 7/27/2020 to 8/2/2020 was 7.5%.

Tags
birds, guess, back, percentage, percent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.