Will snowbirds return?

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2020, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
They will be back. Nicer here than up north.
Only in the Wintertime. Much, much nicer up North in the Spring, Summer and Fall.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Our international friends may not be able if the borders are still closed.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:07 AM
Veteran member

More will stay north with Florida being the Covid-19 epicenter.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Our international friends may not be able if the borders are still closed.
Emergency medical insurance is also a huge consideration for international travelers. With Covid 19 now considered a "known event", most insurers will not cover the disease.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
RE: renters. Exactly. Most probably rented for this coming season a year or even 2 before the pandemic. My guess is you won't see any (minor) effects for another year and many will wait until the last minute to rent because future (1-2yr out) rentals might be more available. Kind of like covid deaths lag weeks behind the increases in infection so will rentals. Of course there will be (attempted) cancellations but IMO not too many.
Stay tuned ...
Old 07-31-2020, 05:44 AM

I am a Canadian snowbird. We have always traveled by car (1200 miles). Airplane travel is now allowed. But we always bring a carload of stuff. As the border is closed, driving to The Villages is impossible.

The Canadian Government has issued a ‘level 3' travel advisory. What does this mean? We always buy private medical insurance when traveling in the U.S. Our ‘free’ medical coverage is for Canada only.

The ‘level 3' advisory makes it OK for all travel medical insurance providers to NOT COVER any expenses if Covid-19 is contracted.

About 6 years ago my wife spent a total of 12 hours in the emergency dept. of the Villages Hospital. The insurance we had at that time was pay out of your own pocket and then send in the bills to the insurance company. After 6 months we got paid the $8,000 (U.S. $) we handed over to at least 15 different companies, doctors and the TV hospital.

Can you imagine what the cost of hospitalization would be if one of us were in an ICU for a month? Probably in the millions.
We can't afford that.

So ... until the travel advisory is downgraded from a ‘level 3', my wife and I WILL NOT be returning to The Villages. And we have been snowbirds for over 11 years. I hope all Canadians know this predicament we are in. The exclusion is usually buried in the insurance policy in 4 pt. font.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

If the border reopens I will definitely be back. My medical insurance company said they are going ahead with the usual coverage including Covid, so that's great. My best friend has chosen not to come back this winter. After having fought cancer, she's too scared her immune system wouldn't be able to fight Covid.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 AM
Default We will hopefully return but will be watching the news

We would normally be planning our 18th annual return in October. However, we are now in what is considered the safest state in the country and even though I hate to sit around in the freezing cold and be bored I feel staying alive is more important. When, and if, the governor and several others wake up to the fact that there is actually a problem that needs to be dealt with we will remain here until we feel it will be safe. The current 2nd or third place in covid cases each day is not necessary. If there had been some leadership in the beginning, both from the white house and from the governor's office this record-breaking condition would not have happened. Let's hope for a successful vaccine soon.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Many flew up North when covid started. Some stayed here.

One month until September when the early birds will flock back.

So whats your guess on a percentage of birds that will come back? My guess is less than 50 percent. Renters..maybe even less than that.
Agree.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:42 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages
Default Will the Snowbirds return?

We will probably skip our six-week return in October and return around January 1 instead.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
With no more risk than they have where they live they will most likely want to get back to TV lifestyle. Even with the current limitations, it beats most other places.

How far to drive and where to stay along the way will be big factors being considered.

As long as we are just guessing....I say most will come back.
What lifestyle is that? No clubs meeting. No concerts or movie theaters or plays. Limited socially distanced dinner parties. Outdoor dining in restaurants while it is 95° and humid on October. Far more virus than back home. No safe flying. Questionably safe motels on the road. Why bother before the snowflakes fall, which may be late November, unless you play outside a lot?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:47 AM

I know we'll be returning in mid-September, no concerns here.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Given the exploding COVID here in Florida and the obvious need to shelter in place here to protect yourself, they’d be nuts not to just stay up north for awhile.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Given the exploding COVID here in Florida and the obvious need to shelter in place here to protect yourself, they’d be nuts not to just stay up north for awhile.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Many flew up North when covid started. Some stayed here.

One month until September when the early birds will flock back.

So whats your guess on a percentage of birds that will come back? My guess is less than 50 percent. Renters..maybe even less than that.
This one won't come back until things cool down. Much less of an outbreak where we are now.
Closed Thread

Tags
birds, guess, back, percentage, percent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.