Window problem

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2019, 11:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmacowen View Post
The OP has a problem because the lip is very narrow and does not have the strength, that she used to have, to open the window and doesn't want to call her hubby every time to open the window.

I have the same problem. There is nothing wrong with the window except the lip is too small and hard to lift.
Well she could get those handle things that were mentioned previously. Suction cup handles that would go on the glass, not the lip. I have to use a step-stool to open the windows in the kitchen because they're behind the sink,which has around 8 inches of counter space behind it, and I'm too short to reach back that far!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:01 AM

You should definitely call Villages Warranty. I needed 3 window screens replaced. Warranty gave me the the name of the company. When I called, the window company knew the correct sizes from my description of which window in which room; they ordered the screens, came out to install them and only charged $10 a screen. They fit better than new. Great, great service.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Yes exactly. you nailed it. I imagine this whole village has these type windows but the women I asked do not open windows. I'm looking for solutions. thank u
Old 12-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Several replies have mentioned to push on the top rail of the bottom sash. That gives you more purchase and better angle for more leverage. Also most of our windows are vinyl so they don't get painted. Make sure both window locks are unlocked. Most windows are tilt in for cleaning but they have to be opened a little before you can tilt them in. If you can get them opened and tilted in that is a good time to clean and lightly lubricate the edges of the sash and the channel they ride in . Invite some of your new neighbors over for coffee and I'm sure one of them will help you since they probably have the same windows.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Default re: Windows

Good morning,
About your window problem...funny you should mention this? The windows for the most part installed in homes of The Villages are basically poorly constructed. I contacted the window manufacturer of my windows who, may I add, is out of business. In the AM if the weather changes overnight, I see lots of moisture on the inside of the window proving that the window seals are a joke. About the opening and closing....the spring adjustments on either sides of the window perimeter are another joke. Very cheaply made to say the least!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Interesting and complex answers for a simple problem. Install these or have a handyman do it. If I wasn't out of town I would do it for you.
See the pictures in the ratings on where to install. Robot Check. Robot Check. I give up on Amazon they are called prime line products F-2766. Search for that

Last edited by Toymeister; 12-21-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We just purchased a resale and I noticed I cannot open the windows. The lip (I think it's called? That bottom part u put your fingers under to lift?) Is so small I cannot get my fingers under it to lift up. Any suggestions?? I love fresh air and hate to bother hubby everytime I need a window opened but this is driving me crazy. How do single women manage? Can something be purchased to put on bottom of window?
I have thought about your problem, and possible solutions. Send me a PM, I will share my email address and maybe you can send a photo of the window. I think I could fabricate an adapter to give you a wider lip to lift the window, but I need more info. VT
Old 12-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Use a vise grip. Place soft thin layer of cloth or tape between the teeth of vice grip so you don't mar the window finish or replace the windows.
Good luck!
Old 12-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Default Window opening

I am a clean window person and do mine often. I wouldn’t pry on the bottom, it could damage the window or the frame. The silicone spay is a good thing once you get it open . I have used the following method successfully. I take a little soapy water and spray mixture on the outside of the window sill along the bottom from the outside of the house, through the screen. Spray bottle or squirt gun. The water soap mixture will eventually work its way inside the bottom sill. It may take a few applications and a few days persistence. It still may need two people on the inside to lift up. As with anything mechanical in a home it should be exercised occasionally to ensure ease of operation. Another example is the push on pull off water shut offs. They also should be exercised occasionally.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:34 AM

I would not even think about replacing your windows. As others have suggested, open the window using the TOP rail to push up on. Once that window is open CLEAN the tracks, then spray silicone lubricant on the tracks, be careful not to use too much. Let me know if you need a hand, N/C.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:22 AM

You probably need new balancers installed on those windows.
Call home warranty for recommendations.
Or call Romac Windows.
They should work easily.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:30 AM

I’ve had that problem with a few windows. If you can’t open via the bottom lip nor the upper part, I’ve used a piece of a 2x4 and used that like a crow bar in the middle of the lower lip part. Works for me.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl3bh View Post
You probably need new balancers installed on those windows.
Call home warranty for recommendations.
Or call Romac Windows.
They should work easily.
Balancers, or weights were last used 60 or 70 years ago. They are now sold as antiques. Safe to say that won't work in this case.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:38 AM

Yes I find these windows difficult to open as well! I just leave my bedroom open once we got it up! But, how do you get the screens out of these windows??? Would like to replace. 2004 Amarillo. Have black tabs but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2019, 06:10 PM

Try pushing the window open by placing your fingers at the top of the glass pane and where the frame meet. Once window is open wipe the track clean and spray both sides with silicone.
Closed Thread

Tags
window, bottom, fingers, lift, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.