Window problem

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2019, 08:42 AM

The windows in our 2006 built house use spiral wound spring counter balances. When these fail you are trying to lift the full window weight (40 pounds?) without any handles to grab. Contact the warranty department and verify who made the windows (ROMAC?) and they can repair them.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Interesting and complex answers for a simple problem. Install these or have a handyman do it. If I wasn't out of town I would do it for you.
See the pictures in the ratings on where to install. Robot Check. Robot Check. I give up on Amazon they are called prime line products F-2766. Search for that

PERFECT SOLUTION!

Should have them Tuesday. It LOOKS like they are mounted to the face of the frame below the glass. My only concern is if it might pull out of the frame when lifting. Not sure if the frame is solid or hollow material. There are a couple other styles by same vendor. Also wonder if you need 2 per window since they are only 3" wide.

EDIT: BIG STICKER ON WINDOW SILL reads: DO NOT DRILL HOLES INTO SILL OF WINDOW Think it's safe?

Last edited by EdFNJ; 12-22-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Default Update

I just called warranty. They referred me to Romac. Called them. They cannot come till end of January. I just cannot believe they even put in windows that a woman cant open. Will keep u posted. Other women must have this type too. Literally no lip to open. No strength to open from top and do not want to constantly climb ladders
Old 12-23-2019, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Interesting and complex answers for a simple problem. Install these or have a handyman do it. If I wasn't out of town I would do it for you.
See the pictures in the ratings on where to install. Robot Check. Robot Check. I give up on Amazon they are called prime line products F-2766. Search for that
While waiting for a couple different versions of these to arrive tomorrow I noticed that putting them on the BOTTOM of the window (where one would normally lift from) won't work too well because of the vinyl piece the window sits down into. It completely covers the bottom of the window where these would be attached. Cutting that piece is possible but not really sure it's a good idea. They can be attached to the TOP part of the window though which seems to have plenty of room but might not help those who are vertically challenged like my wife who is barely 5' tall.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
I just called warranty. They referred me to Romac. Called them. They cannot come till end of January. I just cannot believe they even put in windows that a woman cant open. Will keep u posted. Other women must have this type too. Literally no lip to open. No strength to open from top and do not want to constantly climb ladders
Now now! Not ALL women can't and there are also some men who likely can't. Women always want equality with men so they can't make "lady windows" or they will be be considered sexist windows. They are a real "pane" though (pun intended);
Old 12-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Cute pun intended but seriously who in their right mind has or wants windows like these. ? Impossible to open. Just hope Romacs solution isnt spending a fortune to correct
Old 12-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Cute pun intended but seriously who in their right mind has or wants windows like these. ? Impossible to open. Just hope Romacs solution isnt spending a fortune to correct
Actually a $3-$6 window lift and 2 screws and maybe a couple beers or soft-drinks to someone to attach them if one can't themselves will solve the problem. Unfortunately there is nothing ROMAC can do other than lubricate them (which will wear off quickly and on ours makes little difference) or tighten the spiral springs which I did and it didn't help. There is a special tool for that for about $6. They certainly won't replace them. I agree though, they are a pane, I mean pain (sorry ). I have arthritis in my hands and opening them are a (sexist comment follows) b*tch. I'll let you know how the lift handles works, I should have them today. The only other option are replacement windows.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Balancers, or weights were last used 60 or 70 years ago. They are now sold as antiques. Safe to say that won't work in this case.
Balancers are still very much in use. 99% of the windows in our homes (made by CWS) use them. Each one has a stamp on them indicating the tension and model. I've replaced dozens of them for customers. These balancers break (the spring usually goes), resulting in windows being difficult to open, or windows that wont stay open. I also recommend replacing both Sash End Caps (or cams) while you're at it. The balancers are roughly 10-15 a piece (you need two) and the sash end caps are $1 each (you'll also need two).

Last edited by photo1902; 12-24-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Balancers are still very much in use. 99% of the windows in our homes (made by CWS) use them. Each one has a stamp on them indicating the tension and model. I've replaced dozens of them for customers. These balancers break (the spring usually goes), resulting in windows being difficult to open, or windows that wont stay open. I also recommend replacing both Sash End Caps (or cams) while you're at it. The balancers are roughly 10-15 a piece (you need two) and the sash end caps are $1 each (you'll also need two).

Are you referring to the spiral spring balancers that come in various tensions and hook onto the pivot lock shoes? The "balancers" the other poster was referring to I believe were the old fashioned weights that used to be inside the wood sash on chains. Yes, the spiral balancers are in 99% of the windows around here.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage

@Heartnsoul

Anyway, I solved my "hard to lift" he-man windows and turned them into lady windows for $3.18 for a pair from (of course) Amazon. Took 10 minutes (including bathroom break) and worked like a champ. Couldn't mount them on the bottom because the available sash area sits into a channel and is completely covered but my vertically challenged wife (5' 0") could reach the top with no problem. No more broken nails for her and no arthritis problems for me trying to grab the 1/8" available lifting surface on the bottom. This plus a bit of silicon spray and it is 100x improved.

Link to: Amazon Window Lift (1 pair)

Yes, it now has both screws installed.

Edit: I used the 2 of them on the one sash.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by EdFNJ; 12-24-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:09 PM

Toymeister, how can you be contacted to repair a problem window.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:31 PM

I use wd-40 and the window and go up and down nice
Old 02-14-2020, 05:12 PM

I know a fellow who every few years replaces any counter balances or “thingies” that make it hard to open the windows. He used to work for a large window company which did new construction in The Villages. He has 30 years experience. Two days ago he checked all my windows - two needed “thingies”and a couple others he will spray. I’ve used him for 14 years and he has replaced a window or two for me. He is also fixing the same problem for my next door neighbors.
Some of their windows didn’t pass the pre closing inspection. The rollers on my glass sliders are still good but he does replacements also. My house was built in 2004.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I know a fellow who every few years replaces any counter balances or “thingies” that make it hard to open the windows. He used to work for a large window company which did new construction in The Villages. He has 30 years experience. Two days ago he checked all my windows - two needed “thingies”and a couple others he will spray. I’ve used him for 14 years and he has replaced a window or two for me. He is also fixing the same problem for my next door neighbors.
Some of their windows didn’t pass the pre closing inspection. The rollers on my glass sliders are still good but he does replacements also. My house was built in 2004.

Whatta tease! Name and phone?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Replacing the Sash Balances on CWS windows is easy and definitely a DIY project. There are two shiny metal take out clips on either side of the window channel. Pull these out (fingers or a screw driver) then lift up on the window. The take out clips will keep the sash balances in place and you can then remove the window and unclip the balances (left and right side of the window). Each balance is stamped with a code. Either write down the number, or take it to the window division of Roman (Leesburg location) They carry a full selection. Also grab new rail guides (the plastic piece on each side of the window, as they are cheap. Sash balances are between $10 and $15, depending on the size.
Closed Thread

Tags
window, bottom, fingers, lift, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.