Window problem

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Window problem

We just purchased a resale and I noticed I cannot open the windows. The lip (I think it's called? That bottom part u put your fingers under to lift?) Is so small I cannot get my fingers under it to lift up. Any suggestions?? I love fresh air and hate to bother hubby everytime I need a window opened but this is driving me crazy. How do single women manage? Can something be purchased to put on bottom of window?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Use a lever. Say a small block of wood and place a screw driver under the lip and the shaft of the screw driver on top of the block of wood and push down on the handle. May work in the middle of the window but you may have to do both ends at the same time. This might be a one time problem. Once you get it open clean the tracks and maybe use some wax to lubricate.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We just purchased a resale and I noticed I cannot open the windows. The lip (I think it's called? That bottom part u put your fingers under to lift?) is so small I cannot get my fingers under it to lift up. Any suggestions?? I love fresh air and hate to bother hubby everytime I need a window opened but this is driving me crazy. How do single women manage? Can something be purchased to put on bottom of window?
To open, I push up on the top part with my thumbs.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

You could try placing the SIDES of your fingers under the lip, which also gives you more muscle in the push. Don't try to use your fingertips; you'd probably just break a nail if it suddenly released and went up easy.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Ask at Lowes, Ace, or Home Depot if they have little handles you could put on the windows that you open. I'm sure there is something out there.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Push up on the upper rail of the sash? You can't open the window at all?? Since it's a resale maybe the painters painted it shut? I've seen this happen too many times.
Steve
Old 12-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We just purchased a resale and I noticed I cannot open the windows. The lip (I think it's called? That bottom part u put your fingers under to lift?) Is so small I cannot get my fingers under it to lift up. Any suggestions?? I love fresh air and hate to bother hubby everytime I need a window opened but this is driving me crazy. How do single women manage? Can something be purchased to put on bottom of window?
You do not mention the age of the house, but our 2013 vintage has windows that are very tight opening and closing. I am still able to open and close, so I have not done anything, but you could try a SILICONE based spray lubricant once you get the windows open. I would be careful to limit over-spray, but it usually cleans up easily. I have had good luck with this type of product in several other applications.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Use a lever. Say a small block of wood and place a screw driver under the lip and the shaft of the screw driver on top of the block of wood and push down on the handle. May work in the middle of the window but you may have to do both ends at the same time. This might be a one time problem. Once you get it open clean the tracks and maybe use some wax to lubricate.
I used this method, placing the screwdriver on the lip at the bottom frame of the glass. Be careful and don’t push in as you levering it is out of the seal. Once out of the seal ( about 1/2 it should slide up with just you’re hands? I doubt it painted over, but if it is you need to break the seal with razor knife.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 12-21-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Will window companies just replace ONE WINDOW or won't they bother unless it is a whole house job? We have same problem with our bedroom window (it's really the ONLY one we regularly open and close other than to clean) and it is tough. I've tried 2 different silicone sprays (a wet one and a dry one) and it makes little difference. In fact when you close it, it always hangs up on the bottom trim molding but does (literally) snap in. It would be nice replace all windows but only that one is necessary and don't want to spend a lot of money on doing all of them. It's a late 2009 "2/2 Colony" style home if that matters. And yes, the "lift lip" is so narrow it's very difficult to grab.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Will window companies just replace ONE WINDOW or won't they bother unless it is a whole house job? We have same problem with our bedroom window (it's really the ONLY one we regularly open and close other than to clean) and it is tough. I've tried 2 different silicone sprays (a wet one and a dry one) and it makes little difference. In fact when you close it, it always hangs up on the bottom trim molding but does (literally) snap in. It would be nice replace all windows but only that one is necessary and don't want to spend a lot of money on doing all of them. It's a late 2009 "2/2 Colony" style home if that matters. And yes, the "lift lip" is so narrow it's very difficult to grab.
I imagine you can find someone to replace a single window. I mean, what would happen if the wind blew a branch against your house and it broke just one window? No one would recommend you get all of them replaced.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:48 PM

check these out, may help with your problem CSKB Self-Stick Instant Cabinet Drawer Handle Helper-Window Handle Sticker-Window Opening Stick, Drawer Opening Stick Knobs, Cabinet Door Window Handle Auxiliary Handle Sticker 4 Pieces I found them on Amazon Prime. Also you can buy a larger handle with two suction cups, one on each end, that would provide a sturdy assist.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I imagine you can find someone to replace a single window. I mean, what would happen if the wind blew a branch against your house and it broke just one window? No one would recommend you get all of them replaced.
I called 6 contractors ~2 years ago for a major construction renovation. 2 never replied, 1 never showed up and 2 of the 3 that showed up threw a "price" at me while standing in my driveway that was absurd without even doing any computation and the final guy came in with a price 1/2 the last 2 complete with drawings, proposals etc etc and got the job at $20K+. Basically my point was, these guys have enough business and really don't want to bother with "small stuff." And of the above 6, 4 of them were "major" contractors in this area. Some day things will change around here and it will become a buyers market and they will be out looking for work. If a tree broke a window it would likely be taped up for a LONG time unless insurance was paying the contractor then you know they would come running.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

The lip is so thin you just cant get a finger under it. Never saw a window like this. The home is 12 yrs old. We went to Lowes, home depot and Ace hardware. So far we havent found anything? The windows I want to open I cannot reach the top to try that way. One over kitchen sink. Other two in bathrooms
Old 12-20-2019, 08:36 PM

When you bought your home and had a house inspection they were supposed to check to make sure all windows were operable. When I had a window problem I called warranty dept in TV and they said T&D originally installed my windows and gave me their # to call. I did and they came and fixed it (not for free but they fixed one solo window).
Old 12-20-2019, 08:57 PM

The OP has a problem because the lip is very narrow and does not have the strength, that she used to have, to open the window and doesn't want to call her hubby every time to open the window.

I have the same problem. There is nothing wrong with the window except the lip is too small and hard to lift.
Closed Thread

Tags
window, bottom, fingers, lift, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.