Winn-Dixie Parent Company Preparing For Bankruptcy

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Default Winn-Dixie Parent Company Preparing For Bankruptcy

Didn't see this in a quick search here.

Winn-Dixie and Tops Owners Are Said to Prepare for Bankruptcy
Old 02-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Can't say this is a huge shock. Lately, the store on Pinellas has had many empty shelves. It has seemed like they have a small staff and shelves don't get restocked. This is especially true of their advertised specials. One of the items last week was gone when we tried to buy on Sunday and on Tuesday, they were still missing. Even though shopping there has been frustrating, they carried some items that other stores did not. It would be a shame to see them close. Hope they can recover.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

If they do file, they will come back stronger but at the expense of their creditors. It's the small vendors that supply them who will get hurt the most from a bankruptcy. They'll come back, can't just have Publix, Walmart, and Aldi in town, need a couple more in the right places.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The one and only reason I will shop at Winn Dixie is they have the only real salad bar at any of the supermarkets south of 466A. Friday at lunch time I stopped to make a salad and the bar was empty, nothing, no food. I walked over to the deli and asked, why no salad bar. They replied the staff was short-handed and no one was available to make it. I know it's a good deal for them, I always see people making salads/ It seems management either can't staff or has misplaced their priorities.

The Villages Florida

Since I'm writing a gripe about WD, here's my biggest one. Ever notice everything is priced for buying in multiples, such as 10 packs for $10. Publix does the same, but if you buy one or two, you pay the appropriate pro-rated price. Winn Dixie would charge you full price, you could buy 8 and they would charge you $1.79 apiece or whatever the regular price was. Besides, I hate having to show your little store card to the cashier when you check out, it's just another way of not having to give the sale price to the occasional shopper who doesn't have a store card. No wonder they aren't doing good.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:20 AM

the checkout lines are longer than Publix, at Bichara Blvd, near SS.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I like our Winn-Dixie near Lake Sumter Landing.

Close and great baked goods.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe Sweetbay will come back, wouldn't that be nice.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Since I'm writing a gripe about WD, here's my biggest one. Ever notice everything is priced for buying in multiples, such as 10 packs for $10. Publix does the same, but if you buy one or two, you pay the appropriate pro-rated price. Winn Dixie would charge you full price, you could buy 8 and they would charge you $1.79 apiece or whatever the regular price was. Besides, I hate having to show your little store card to the cashier when you check out, it's just another way of not having to give the sale price to the occasional shopper who doesn't have a store card. No wonder they aren't doing good.
I don't see a problem with giving a discount for buying multiple items. I also don't see a problem for rewarding customer loyalty. Showing the card is not required. And, an occasional shopper can get a free card and enjoy the same savings as a frequent shopper.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Can't say this is a huge shock. Lately, the store on Pinellas has had many empty shelves. It has seemed like they have a small staff and shelves don't get restocked. This is especially true of their advertised specials. One of the items last week was gone when we tried to buy on Sunday and on Tuesday, they were still missing. Even though shopping there has been frustrating, they carried some items that other stores did not. It would be a shame to see them close. Hope they can recover.
As long as we stubbornly order from Amazon, more and more shops will go bankrupt.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Next generations won't know the concept of going to a store to buy something. And, as long as we continue to complain about pricing at our local stores their margins will continue to degrade. We are the reasons most stores close, we want it cheap and we want it now and we want it our way. We tend to blame managements or employees but the blame really belongs with us.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Next generations won't know the concept of going to a store to buy something. And, as long as we continue to complain about pricing at our local stores their margins will continue to degrade. We are the reasons most stores close, we want it cheap and we want it now and we want it our way. We tend to blame managements or employees but the blame really belongs with us.
I agree. I don't remember the last time I actually went to a super market. Boxed, Amazon, Marley spoon, hello fresh, even Wal-Mart is getting on board with home meal delivery! Nice to know we have options!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Platinum member

I really liked WD in Pinellas. IMO everything changed when they switched from their own card (with gas points) to that stupid Plenti points, which they hyped as an upgrade. I see Macy’s have dropped Plenti. IMO it’s nothing but an annoying advertising gimmick and I refuse to click on their emails.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. It seems like everyday a dang box from Amazon or Zulily or somewhere from BFE is showing up on the front door (and it's not me doing the ordering).
Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I really liked WD in Pinellas. IMO everything changed when they switched from their own card (with gas points) to that stupid Plenti points, which they hyped as an upgrade. I see Macy’s have dropped Plenti. IMO it’s nothing but an annoying advertising gimmick and I refuse to click on their emails.
Makes my point...thanks

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-18-2018, 05:28 AM
Sage

We didn't use Winn-Dixie, very often but appreciated the points card--but with their plenti card which we didn't even sign up for- we only go to Winn-Dixie if we need a particular item-went to the store for some Fontina cheese didn't have it, when the Winn-Dixie in Pinellas when they first opened foe white clam sauce--didn't have it

The store doesn't seem clean and their produce IMHO is tired and second rate
Closed Thread

Tags
quick, search, company, parent, preparing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.