The winter pricing for a round of golf

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Unhappy

Cliff, I am one of those people who have said it's not that bad here compared to places in which I have previously lived, but I agree with your points. Unfortunately, I can see a time in the future when the executive courses are no longer free and with the huge demand, the championship courses all raise their prices. TV is paradise, but it's not inexpensive.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Sage

Cliff - I also think that was a well stated response. But even if you are correct it has been and always will be supply and demand. As we retire with more fixed incomes the new well heeled retires will be on our doorstep and the prices will rise accordingly but all we can do is prepare ourselves for that. Dirigo may be correct about highest and best use of the land not being a golf course any longer. Let's hope that does not come to pass. I'd rather be able to play only once a week than not at all or be forced to travel for our golf.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Veteran member
Default Nothing is free...

Is the cost for executive golf covered by the activity fee?

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Default I agree with mark

First let me say that I agree with Mark and that I find the price of the Championship courses high..On the other hand I have stayed in the Orlando area for the last 6 years and didn't even take my golf clubs because the prices were way too high.

From my perspective, as a renter for three months, with a wife who also likes to play golf I don't think I am willing to pay approx $100 or more for the two of us to play a round at one of our championship courses. That is a personal decision. She is quite willing to play the executive courses and pay $7 trail fee and then send me out to play outside courses twice a week while she takes part in the many activities the Villages has to offer.

It is certainly not economically feasible for us to take a priority membership for 3 months of golf. I am lucky that I joined a group of villagers who also find the cost too high to play here and we play at courses outside the villages twice a week for $30 or less. I have found that these courses are of high standard, well maintained and certainly above average in quality.

I have played 5 times in the last two weeks outside the villages and must say that I am very pleased with the courses that I have played and not yet had to pay more than $30. Of course you have to look for deals, find coupons, book tee times early etc but that is the price we all pay for playing golf.

In regards to travel, let me say that I disagree with anyone who says that you have to travel for long times to play courses of high standard. Four times I have played at courses near the Villages that took me less than 10 minutes and once travelled to Leesburg about 30 minutes. I would wager that most Villagers take more than 10 minutes to go by golf cart to play most Championship courses in the Villages and I know some people who travel more than 30 minutes by cart to a course.

I love the Villages and am quite content to play several times a week on high quality executive courses with my wife and also to have the opportunity to play high quality courses outside the villages for much more reasonalbe cost that the championship courses in the Villages. It is the best of both worlds but I do regret not being able to play the championship courses in the Villages due to their higher costs but once I win the powerball I will treat you all to many rounds in the Villages.
doug
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
Is the cost for executive golf covered by the activity fee?
Yes, if you walk the execs you pay nothing with a Villages ID, or $10 with a guest pass. If you take your cart you pay the trail fee. We walk them all.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.