Woman hit by car in CR466 Publix parking lot.

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2018, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We always use pull-thru sites whenever we can. When we go to Publix, we always pull thru, which means we are pointed the wrong way when we leave.

No problem. At least we can see where we are going when we leave.
You are absolutely in the minority I believe but are absolutely correct. A clear view on the way out of your parking spot. Perfect.

After over 3 Million Miles of safe operation of various Motor Vehicles, I backed our Brand New Car with only 800 miles into the wall of the garage. The door was open I thought it was in park but it was in reverse. I started reading the mail and whammo I pinned the door up against the house. Thankfully only a little damage to property and my feelings. I take this as a lesson and am going to one of the driving classes that are offered locally. Maybe something that was a simple mistake will save me and others from a Whopper Mistake.

I'm sorry for the injured woman. Mistakes happen in the blink of an eye. I hope she heals quickly.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:35 PM

Parking lots/pedestrians are definitely the perfect storm for accidents. I have had numerous close calls and one "back up" incident which was disputable...but according to the law, my fault. I went to traffic school and learned a LOT about how to drive safely in The Villages. I wish there were safety classes for pedestrians. If pedestrians were cited for daydreaming or cellphone distraction maybe they would start paying attention to what's going on around them.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Car dangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This just happened within the hour or so.

They had a lot of emergency vehicles there.
Yes, again, no controls, no safety enforcement. The Gear Heads like to drive at 40 mph in the parking lots, they love to zoom around. Whey do we not have any safety enforcement here? OH, I know, it does not bring in any money so there fore it is not meaningful to anyone?/

Old 11-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnwy123 View Post
Yes, again, no controls, no safety enforcement. The Gear Heads like to drive at 40 mph in the parking lots, they love to zoom around. Whey do we not have any safety enforcement here? OH, I know, it does not bring in any money so there fore it is not meaningful to anyone?/

Well this to defend our law enforcement, and I always will;

Last week,they caught the bad guys who were stealing golf carts. One of hundreds of good things they do here.

Thank you, any reading this who are former law enforcement. Thank you so much for your service. My family is grateful and respectful to all who serve.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Just adding....Colony's parking lot isn't a picnic neither.....or the one up by Best Buy or Sam's. I'd venture to say that people need to get a gripe and quit driving like they did in their former locations, up north. People bring their bad habits here with them! Add to that age, medical issues, attitude and more. If anyone has an update re: the accident...let us know. So sad to happen anytime....but right before a holiday makes it all the more awful.
I agree colony one of the worse.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We always use pull-thru sites whenever we can. When we go to Publix, we always pull thru, which means we are pointed the wrong way when we leave.

No problem. At least we can see where we are going when we leave.
I only pull through on straight lines parking lots, I think it illegal to pull through on slanted parking lots?
Old 11-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well this to defend our law enforcement, and I always will;

Last week,they caught the bad guys who were stealing golf carts. One of hundreds of good things they do here.

Thank you, any reading this who are former law enforcement. Thank you so much for your service. My family is grateful and respectful to all who serve.
Thank you Gracie, we appreciate it.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-25-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I only pull through on straight lines parking lots, I think it illegal to pull through on slanted parking lots?
?? on private property? That's a stretch. Please show a link to that assertion.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Who defines what is legal or illegal in a private parking lot? Who would enforce? i.e. would a law enforcement officer actually ticket someone who ran a private parking lot stop sign or drove faster than parking lot speed signs suggest?
Old 11-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Who defines what is legal or illegal in a private parking lot? Who would enforce? i.e. would a law enforcement officer actually ticket someone who ran a private parking lot stop sign or drove faster than parking lot speed signs suggest?
Advisory Legal Opinion - Enforcing of traffic laws on private property

Quote:

This office has, in a number of prior opinions, stated that the provisions of Ch. 316, F.S., are enforceable on private property only when the public has a right to travel by motor vehicle on such property. This conclusion was based on the language of s. 316.640, F.S., which provides, in part, that municipalities shall enforce state traffic laws on all municipal streets and highways "wherever the public has the right to travel by motor vehicle."[1] It is the availability of the area or place for travel and the right of general and common use which makes certain private property subject to public control pursuant to Ch. 316, F.S.[2] Thus, this office has determined that municipalities have enforcement authority with respect to traffic violations and accidents occurring on "private property" where the public has the right to travel by motor vehicle such as shopping centers and parking lots.
Closed Thread

Tags
lot, hour, vehicles, emergency, happened

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.