Woodworking club and simple project.

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 10:04 AM
Default Woodworking club and simple project.

I am in the process of hanging sliding barn doors in my home.
I need 1/2” cut from the top of each door and then a 1/4” wide by 13/16” deep router cut or groove cut in the bottom of each door for a floor guide.
On Friday I visited the Villages Woodworkers Club off Rolling Acres Drive. The fellow at the counter told me to bring them in Monday between 10 & 2 and they will take care of it.
So I load the two doors in my car, drive down there and I was rather rudely told that they don’t help people this way. I explained that I was told on Friday. “No, we don’t do that!” I tried to explain that this was very simple and I would pay someone, but the two men there wanted to hear nothing of what I was saying.
I had thought about joining the club once I get moved down here full time, but if the people out front represent the rest of the members, I don’t think that I am interested. They cannot even converse.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have a router and power saw, I may be able to help you, send me a PM with your phone number so we can get together.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:08 PM

Bravo Villagetinker you are the most helpful person on this forum. It is a pity there are not more like you.
On the subject of the Woodworking club on Rolling Acres I once went there to ask about a small project and met the same unfriendly people at the front desk. I was amazed at looking around there were small groups of people talking and no one working. I have never seen such a spotless workshop with not the siltiest sign of dust or wood shavings.
There were plenty of machines but they looked as though they are never used.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

I’m on the waiting list too, and I know what you mean. I think some people’s expectation are different than what this workshop is designed to do. (There is only one Villagetinker in TV…. ) From my very short introduction to the wood workshop I understood that volunteers introduce you to the machines after a mandatory safety program. People work on their own projects, such as making wooden toys, carved canes for vets etc so personal hobbies. Not home building or cabinet making or furniture designing. Although I don’t know if any one does that. I plan to make picture frames for my oil paintings myself. It does not seem to be a commercial workplace where you would bring something large in to fix.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:08 PM
Default Woodshop

The shop is clean because we keep it that way to be safe. People stand around and talk? Oh my. Maybe they were planning a project or helping someone out. The shop does special projects, makes thousands of toys to give away, and there are some extraordinarily talented people there who design and build furniture, make picture frames, etc. special projects includes helping non members with repairs, etc. It is not a custom shop providing free labor or materials “just because”. I would go back to the shop and speak to someone again, and get approval and an appointment to have your project evaluated again. Such projects have been on hold due to COVID, and I can’t speak to if and when they will start up again but try a little patience. And non members, take it easy with the bashing. The woodworkers club is a great resource with a lot of talented people perfectly willing to give their time to mentor and help others.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:34 PM

I am pleased to hear that my first impressions may have been wrong. In fact I went there to offer an antique UK dining table which needed some work and which the club could sell and make some money out of it. The reception I received at the front desk could have been more friendly even if my free offer has not suitable.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:18 AM

I also visited the woodworking club a couple times looking for advice. Less than helpful members greeted me with attitudes I perceived as "don't bug me". Seems like an awesome asset if it could be of more use to all homeowners...
Old 09-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Default woodshop club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt57 View Post
The shop is clean because we keep it that way to be safe. People stand around and talk? Oh my. Maybe they were planning a project or helping someone out. The shop does special projects, makes thousands of toys to give away, and there are some extraordinarily talented people there who design and build furniture, make picture frames, etc. special projects includes helping non members with repairs, etc. It is not a custom shop providing free labor or materials “just because”. I would go back to the shop and speak to someone again, and get approval and an appointment to have your project evaluated again. Such projects have been on hold due to COVID, and I can’t speak to if and when they will start up again but try a little patience. And non members, take it easy with the bashing. The woodworkers club is a great resource with a lot of talented people perfectly willing to give their time to mentor and help others.
I have not joined the endless list to join the club because they seem to have the reputation of being elitist, snobish and not the type of club TV is known for.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:48 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Great bunch of people at the shop, they are daily volunteers at the front counter and like anyplace their personality varies.

NOT elitist, snobish

Been a member since 2013

Just had a tour of the new shop at Brownwood it's really nice.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:59 AM

I am sorry you had this experience. I have been a member of the woodshop for 10 years. This is not the norm, sometimes the person at the desk does not know what projects we can do at this time. If that person told you something I am sure they believed it to be true.

When you returned a more experienced person was at the desk and told you that it could not be done.

Our bylaws say that if you can hire someone to do the work we cannot do it. WE would be taking work away from a local carpenter.

We have hundreds of members please don't judge a club by one or two people
sitting out front.

Your best bet is to have a friend who is a member do this for you. Or hire a contractor who will do it.

WE are a volunteer organization and have many responsibilities related to that club. Each one of us who are members all contribute time and money. Like any place there are a few bad apples, but my experience is that those working at the front office are very pleasant.

I hope you move down and join, because I won't live anywhere else because I will not give up my membership to the woodshop. There are more tools in there than you can dream about and folks with woodworking skills that are off the charts. Alway eager to help if you just ask. We offer classes and someone with no skills can learn to be a decent carpenter. I can make just about anything I need and I started with zero skills. If I can do it , anyone can.

Nancy Jordan Blackmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-2-56 View Post
I am in the process of hanging sliding barn doors in my home.
I need 1/2” cut from the top of each door and then a 1/4” wide by 13/16” deep router cut or groove cut in the bottom of each door for a floor guide.
On Friday I visited the Villages Woodworkers Club off Rolling Acres Drive. The fellow at the counter told me to bring them in Monday between 10 & 2 and they will take care of it.
So I load the two doors in my car, drive down there and I was rather rudely told that they don’t help people this way. I explained that I was told on Friday. “No, we don’t do that!” I tried to explain that this was very simple and I would pay someone, but the two men there wanted to hear nothing of what I was saying.
I had thought about joining the club once I get moved down here full time, but if the people out front represent the rest of the members, I don’t think that I am interested. They cannot even converse.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:00 AM

You are very misinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb9v View Post
I have not joined the endless list to join the club because they seem to have the reputation of being elitist, snobish and not the type of club TV is known for.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

My impression is some people seem to think that this workshop is their personal tool shop with members serving as free help. Good luck finding that anywhere.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt57 View Post
We only get one side to any story in this format. The original post claims they wanted to join the woodworking club. A straight edge guide a portable circular saw with a quality sharp blade-job is done.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:20 AM

I recently got into the club and have had nothing but positive experiences there. It's a place where there is a wide varied of skill....some people are lifelong master woodworkers, some people are at the peak of the dunning kruger effect...if you know what I mean... Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia

There is a ton of expensive commercial grade equipment in the shop and most of it has the ability to remove fingers and hands with ease. Because of the wide variety of skill levels and potentially dangerous equipment, there are a lot of rules and strict guidelines. I can see how it could come off as brusque or even rude but it's in the name of safety. Some people can happily exist in such and environment, some people can't.

As far as the antique table, I don't think I've ever seen anybody working on an antique in the shop. I mean...I've seen plenty of things that will be antiques someday....but I'm not sure fixing up antiques is a thing in the woodworking shop. Not sure though. The shop is nonprofit so you can't sell things you make there so that could have been an issue too.

Joe
Old 09-21-2021, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I’m on the waiting list too, and I know what you mean. I think some people’s expectation are different than what this workshop is designed to do. (There is only one Villagetinker in TV…. ) From my very short introduction to the wood workshop I understood that volunteers introduce you to the machines after a mandatory safety program. People work on their own projects, such as making wooden toys, carved canes for vets etc so personal hobbies. Not home building or cabinet making or furniture designing. Although I don’t know if any one does that. I plan to make picture frames for my oil paintings myself. It does not seem to be a commercial workplace where you would bring something large in to fix.
Frames, as much of an art as painting. So many options. You can buy refinished moldings and cut them on a miter saw. You can buy wood and make your own moldings. You can create hand carved frames. You can learn to do gold leaf.

Like most things there is a vast difference between a hobby and a commercial operation. A hand carved gold leaf frame. No one would pay you what it is worth. What is costs in hours of labor. Real gold leaf, since it is so thin is, of course more expensive than it was when gold was $35 an oz but it is not as expensive as most would think.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, cut, told, don’t, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.