Woodworking club and simple project.

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2021, 08:36 AM
Default Woodshop Staff

I've been a member of the woodshop for 6+ years. Everyone who "works" at the woodshop is a volunteer there are no paid individuals. Every time a member uses a piece of equipment they are required to clean the floor and equipment after they are done with it. Safety is a primary objective. I've built a large number of pieces of furniture at the woodshop using the equipment at the woodshop.

Your project may be simple; however, there is more to it than you have indicated. In addition to the cuts you'd like to have made, everything will need to be sanded. Cutting groves with a router can result in splintering at the ends of the wood if it is not done correctly. The finish needs to be properly matched or the result will not look as it should. You've said that you just wanted the cuts made, again if it's not done properly you'll end up getting large splinters at the edges of the door.

The woodshop has over a thousand members and many of them know how to do this type of work and are happy to show you the correct way so that your project ends up being what you want it to be. The woodshop offers many classes that are taught by members for members. There are members that have started at the woodshop that have never done any woodworking as well as members that have significant experience. There are always 2 monitors on the floor of the woodshop to help ensure that equipment is used safely and will help members when they need help. The monitors are also volunteers. The people that maintain the equipment, the maintenance team members, are also volunteers. This is the only shop of it's kind where with annual membership dues of $75, you can have access to all the equipment and spend as many hours there as you want.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:55 AM

I have a table saw, circular saw and a router/router table. I could perhaps help you. PM me if interested. (I am not a member of the club).
Old 09-21-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have a router and power saw, I may be able to help you, send me a PM with your phone number so we can get together.
That is indeed extremely kind and generous of you. I may take you up on the offer, though I am going to approach this issue from a different angle before I bother someone with it.
Thank you.!
Old 09-21-2021, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-2-56 View Post
That is indeed extremely kind and generous of you. I may take you up on the offer, though I am going to approach this issue from a different angle before I bother someone with it.
Thank you.!
OK.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:14 AM

I assume the new Brownwood workshop will be in addition to, vs replacing, that one? If so, how does that work with the current waiting list? Is there a separate membership list? Does anyone know? Thanks.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:27 PM
Default Thank you Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt57 View Post
The shop is clean because we keep it that way to be safe. People stand around and talk? Oh my. Maybe they were planning a project or helping someone out. The shop does special projects, makes thousands of toys to give away, and there are some extraordinarily talented people there who design and build furniture, make picture frames, etc. special projects includes helping non members with repairs, etc. It is not a custom shop providing free labor or materials “just because”. I would go back to the shop and speak to someone again, and get approval and an appointment to have your project evaluated again. Such projects have been on hold due to COVID, and I can’t speak to if and when they will start up again but try a little patience. And non members, take it easy with the bashing. The woodworkers club is a great resource with a lot of talented people perfectly willing to give their time to mentor and help others.
Thank you, Tony,
I too am a member of the woodworking club and resent the implication this person has made about our entire membership. I am one of the persons that greet people at the front desk. (however, was NOT one of the people that did/did not help this person). I cannot tell you how many times I have been hung-up-on after only getting, "I am so sorry but. . . . " and "click" without having an opportunity to explain about the "covid-19 problem. Or greeting someone at the front door, (during the Covid pandemic) and trying to explain the position of SAFETY for ALL, only to have that person turn around in a huff and walking away without even trying to understand, let alone, listen to the rest of my explanation and the accompanying apology for not being able to help with their situation. And those of you that think it must have been my fault, or my attitude. I was in the service industry for a major manufacture for 37 years and yes, I know how to help and assist others, not to mention. . . . . Well enough of my venting. Hopefully, those of you that may read this entire string will understand that we must live within the SAFETY rules that our club holds in the highest regard, and those rules are in place to keep not just our members danger-free, but the general public as well. AND the vast majority of our members are just like everyone else when it comes to dealing with difficult customers. (everyone has a tipping point after being treated like trash by a potential customer)
Old 09-21-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine48 View Post
Bravo Villagetinker you are the most helpful person on this forum. It is a pity there are not more like you.
On the subject of the Woodworking club on Rolling Acres I once went there to ask about a small project and met the same unfriendly people at the front desk. I was amazed at looking around there were small groups of people talking and no one working. I have never seen such a spotless workshop with not the siltiest sign of dust or wood shavings.
There were plenty of machines but they looked as though they are never used.
I agree - Villagetinker is the man!! Always helpful.

Regarding Rolling Acres - I too feel that the club gives the vibe of being elitist. Not friendly at the desk or on the phone. I'd think that if the "club" had such a long waiting list, that maybe they would think about extending the hours of the facility, to allow more usage of the often idle equipment, and real estate.

Someone noted that "volunteers" may be the snobby types, whereas the real club members are all nice. If I was in the club, I'd request the officers to have the real (nice) club members volunteer to provide information to us outsiders requesting help on projects, or how to join the club.

Maybe the Brownwood location will provide a friendlier reception.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

All members are required to volunteer a certain number of hours. Woodworking as elitist? Give me a break! But it is a beautiful hobby. All people who join have to volunteer their time a certain number of hours but that does not mean they are all great at service staff behavior. Some are just more friendlier than others. On the questionnaire to join it doesn’t ask, “So, how friendly are you?”
Old 09-21-2021, 01:56 PM

There is no excuse for the rudeness. There is a nice way to say "no" and a rude way to say "no". Always convey the nice way and live up to the moniker of "Friendliest Hometown". There are a lot more nice people here than rude people in my experience.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:03 PM

There is no excuse for the rudeness. There is a nice way to say "no" and a rude way to say "no". Always convey the nice way and live up to the moniker of "Friendliest Hometown". There are a lot more nice people here than rude people in my experience.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Yes, there are nice ways to say no, but some people consider you rude if you do not agree with them, or do what they tell you to. Now service/sales people get training how to deal with such people.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have a router and power saw, I may be able to help you, send me a PM with your phone number so we can get together.
You are the best! Always willing to help👏
Old 09-21-2021, 07:22 PM

It’s a shame you got that impression. It’s also a shame that some other commenters think that members “work” there. Folks in the club are fellow Villagers who are dues paying members of The Villagers Woodworking Club. Most of what they accomplish in that Woodshop is not necessarily “work.” They create masterpieces for themselves and mentor other members to learn woodworking skills. Their “special projects team” is a group of member VOLUNTEERS to help anyone with a woodworking need. As volunteers, their time may be limited and their space to store is DEFINITELY limited. But helping restore broken wood pieces is not all the volunteering that goes on at that shop. Members VOLUNTEER to make toys for children, thousands of them each and every year.
Oh, and the folks at the front desk? They are also members who are volunteering their time to help the shop run smoothly. They are trained to help both visitors and club members. I’m sorry to hear that some of you may have had experienced some issues re: your special project requests, but please keep in mind that the special projects team had been on hiatus during COVID. Of course, thanks to COVID, some confusion is inevitable.
So... if you have a woodworking issue, come by the shop, cross your fingers that someone from the special projects team is in the shop, and maybe join the club yourself, while you’re there! But please know that everyone I have ever met in the shop is very friendly, willing to share expertise, and is a fellow Villager. Oh, and a smile can’t hurt...
Old 09-24-2021, 07:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,074 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
I assume the new Brownwood workshop will be in addition to, vs replacing, that one? If so, how does that work with the current waiting list? Is there a separate membership list? Does anyone know? Thanks.
The new shop in Brownwood will be a second location, not a replacement of the Rolling Acres shop. There is one wait list for membership in the club...it is not a list for each location. With the opening of the Brownwood shop fast approaching, the wait list times are getting shorter. I got on the wait list last year in December, and was able to join the club in June this year. But, my wife applied for membership this summer, and her wait was only 2 months.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,074 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-2-56 View Post
I am in the process of hanging sliding barn doors in my home.
I need 1/2” cut from the top of each door and then a 1/4” wide by 13/16” deep router cut or groove cut in the bottom of each door for a floor guide.
On Friday I visited the Villages Woodworkers Club off Rolling Acres Drive. The fellow at the counter told me to bring them in Monday between 10 & 2 and they will take care of it.
So I load the two doors in my car, drive down there and I was rather rudely told that they don’t help people this way. I explained that I was told on Friday. “No, we don’t do that!” I tried to explain that this was very simple and I would pay someone, but the two men there wanted to hear nothing of what I was saying.
I had thought about joining the club once I get moved down here full time, but if the people out front represent the rest of the members, I don’t think that I am interested. They cannot even converse.
I'm sorry to hear you report a bad experience at the shop. But, then again, we are only hearing one side of the story.

As a member of the Woodworking Club, my experience has been that the members are EXTREMELY generous with their time, and willingness to help others. Members pay annual dues to belong, and must volunteer their time several times a year to ensure the shops run smoothly and SAFELY. And yes, there is that little elephant in the room known as COVID that has had a significant impact on daily operations.

So...before you go about bashing the entire membership, think about trying a new approach. You might ask if a member of the Special Projects team can call you, and possibly discuss what you would like to have done. While I cannot tell you that your request can be accommodated, it may be worth a try. And please don't paint all of us with an overly broad brush.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, cut, told, don’t, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.