Is the word greedy a dirty word?

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
The government does not tax to enrich itself. It taxes to provide for the people of the nation. True, much of this money is ill-spent, but that doesn't qualify as greed. If the greedy paid their fair share of taxes as they did in the 1950's, we may once again have a middle class and a much stronger economy.
How true. The money is not spent the way we would like all the time, but what can we expect when the political parties disagree on just about everything. There is certainly mismanagement at all levels of government, state, federal, and local, but mismanagement is different than greed.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Greed is difficult to define and excessive is in the eye of the beholder again its not how much but in what manner this wealth is attained

And as for the government there is never enough money. consider recently when gas prices abated we got some relieve but on both side of the political aisle members wanted to raise gas taxes.

If I could legally get away with not paying taxes I would. Let me explain. I believe all politicians are imprudent spenders of taxpayers money and before I give them one red cent I want to know what they are going to do with it.

Social security Medicare, and all such programs are mismanaged and the fraud abuse and waste just makes me want to. the carve outs for special interests to gain votes is immoral.

Yet we continue to hear it is your patriotic duty to pay taxes. Well isn't it your patriotic, even fiduciary duty to prudently spend my tax dollar?

Roads to nowhere go nowhere and deny support for people and issues that need attention.

I believe a simple tax code should be devised that provides for the efficient and effective use of our money. However if such a code were passed it wouldn't take long for politicians to graviate back to spending for their self interests.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:15 AM
TOTV Moderator

Reminder...the topic is a general question about the definition of greed.

The recent collection of posts have veered into political territory which is not permitted in the general forum.

Please return to the original topic or the thread will be closed.

You can discuss Greed and government in the political forum.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Reminder...the topic is a general question about the definition of greed.

The recent collection of posts have veered into political territory which is not permitted in the general forum.

Please return to the original topic or the thread will be closed.

You can discuss Greed and government in the political forum.

I was just thinking how respectful people were being. How much it makes me angry when people call money making by business Greed. I always sit and ponder did everyone in their family teach, or work at the post office or do things that did not in anyway support sales?

Making a profit is part of business and is not greed. We all know what greed is. And it is one of the seven deadly sins according to Dante.

We know when we feel greedy and we have been greedy. It is an ugly thing.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
IS THE WORD GREEDY A DIRTY WORD?

Greedy is perhaps one of the most used words on Talk of The Villages. Many seem to use this word as a slam against others and use it as if they have never been greedy themselves.

I had been a salesman all of my working life and I was and still am a greedy person and very proud of it. I have hired and trained many-many salespeople and would not want to hire a salesperson that is not greedy. If I were to sell my home or car or anything else I own I would want to sell it for as much as I could. Many would call that greedy and I thank you for the compliment.

I believe that the majority of the people that live in The Villages worked for profitable greedy companies that paid us well or we would not be living here. Even retired government employees worked for a greedy government that history shows has always wanted to raise taxes.

We even want our favorite sports teams to defeat their opponents by as much as possible and if they are playing their biggest rival the point spread can never be enough. Seems like greed to me. I love it when my favorite teams will.

I googled the meaning of greedy and this is what I found. onhttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/greedy.

The number 2 meaning I found interesting. The next time you go out to eat in The Villages and they give you one of those pagers as you are waiting to eat and drink just think of number 2 meaning you are greedy.

[gree-dee]
Spell Syllables
• Synonyms
• Examples
• Word Origin
adjective, greedier, greediest.
excessively or inordinately desirous of wealth, profit, etc.; avaricious:
the greedy owners of the company.
having a strong or great desire for food or drink.
keenly desirous; eager (often followed by of or for):
greedy for praise.

Indy-Guy, maybe we need to find a different word for you.

Some words carry connotation. Along with their primary definition, or denotation, certain words invoke ideas or feelings. The word greed carries a lot of negative connotation.

I am wondering if you are telling us that you are someone who works hard, who has become quite good at the "art of the deal," helps others to succeed through hard work, and enjoys the things success can bring. (And maybe even likes to quietly give some of it away.)

OR. . .

Are you saying you are like that guy in the Wall Street movies or the "Wolf of Wall Street" movie? Those guys destroyed people's lives. And it was not just about the money. It was about power over others. The kind of power that was evil stuff. Major sleaze-factor.

So anyway, Indy, I am betting you are like the first description I gave. If so, to me, that is not greed. But we need to find a better word.

You're welcome,
At-A-Loss-For Words Laurie
Old 03-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When a person makes a profit and does not break a law. The money is his.

Some may give to charity, and some may not.

Some may agree with others about the environment, and some may not as long as they are staying within the law.

Some may be like Mother Teresa and some may not. As long as that person or corporation does not break the law, they are entitled to their profit. They may build new business, they may give their CEO a buncha money. They may put it in their bank. They may profit share with their employees and they may not.

It is their money.

He who makes the gold makes the rules about how he spends the gold.

You cannot dictate or legislate morality. AND if you want to be a huge success in business and be a good person...as there are many, go for it.

Not all successful businesses are greedy JUST because they are making a lot of money.

Not all people who don't have a lot of money are virtuous and non greedy.

There is GREED....and THERE is ENVY.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Indy-Guy, maybe we need to find a different word for you.

Some words carry connotation. Along with their primary definition, or denotation, certain words invoke ideas or feelings. The word greed carries a lot of negative connotation.

I am wondering if you are telling us that you are someone who works hard, who has become quite good at the "art of the deal," helps others to succeed through hard work, and enjoys the things success can bring. (And maybe even likes to quietly give some of it away.)

OR. . .

Are you saying you are like that guy in the Wall Street movies or the "Wolf of Wall Street" movie? Those guys destroyed people's lives. And it was not just about the money. It was about power over others. The kind of power that was evil stuff. Major sleaze-factor.

So anyway, Indy, I am betting you are like the first description I gave. If so, to me, that is not greed. But we need to find a better word.

You're welcome,
At-A-Loss-For Words Laurie
You are correct I would rather be thought of as your first description rather than a Gordon Gekko type. Good movie that portrayed the bad side of greed.

Thank you for your well put thoughts.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
You are correct I would rather be thought of as your first description rather than a Gordon Gekko type. Good movie that portrayed the bad side of greed.

I kind of figured you were OK.

We really do need a different word.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:

Another movie that portrayed the bad side of greed was Seven. Tough movie to watch.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Veteran member
Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post

I agree! Big business pays the lion's share of taxes in this country. Government produces nothing that contributes to the economy. The rest of the tab is forcibly extracted from working-class taxpayers. When a business, large or small, makes a profit, despite having to pay to support the entitlement class and an irresponsibly bloated government bureaucracy, it's nothing short of a miracle. Without it, there is no incentive to produce. Labeling a business - or person - who actually does produce wealth as "greedy" is tactic, used by Marxist governments and social manipulators, to create class envy. It's how they get votes and maintain control.

When a government bleeds the citizens it is elected to serve, while taking multimillion dollar junkets, using taxpayer-funded Military vehicles and personnel as private chauffeurs, legislating itself elaborate retirement and health care benefits or golden parachutes for minimal service, THAT is greed!

If government weren't so insatiably greedy, business like Walmart, and many others, large and small, wouldn't be forced to cut employee benefits. Anyone who has ever been in business for himself understands this only too well.
Amen and Amen!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Sage

Support the needy and not the greedy!!!

Greed has a negative connotation. When it's excessive, it's not a good thing. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 PM

I think it is simpler than most of these posts. Greed is the result of a persons inability to accept when enough is enough. For me, it was when I had accumulated enough to retire in the villages with a financial cushion to last till I turn 103 years old. For so many unfortunate (in my opinion) people, they die in their 80's and 90's still chasing the almighty dollar with bank accounts larger than they can spend in 5 lifetimes.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Veteran member

I don't think the word is greed more like entitlement. There are those that feel entitled no matter what they do. Been jerks all their life.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Support the needy and not the greedy!!!

Greed has a negative connotation. When it's excessive, it's not a good thing. IMHO
I'm glad the word needy or need was mentioned. Creating wealth honestly is not greed but keeping piles of money while we see others suffering in need is a problem. Excuses are many, government will look after them, they are pretenders, if they only etc etc. Can we call it greed when in our prosperity we see another hungry and do nothing?

As is written..".but a smart man like you can rationalize every inconsistency".
Old 03-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Platinum member

I think it depends in what context it is used, and what one is willing to do to satisfy that greed. One can certainly go too far with greed, and we see it every day.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.