Words and expressions from "back home".

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Platinum member

Skeeve : To totally dislike something, to be disgusted. From the Italian "mi fa schifo" meaning "it makes me sick" and/or "schifoso", meaning "disgusting".

"I skeeve Sushi" or "I'm skeeved by him".
Old 12-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hook you up: To give to someone a good deal or take care of them.

"Come by the bar tonight and I'll hook you up." or "Let me know when you are ready to buy, I'll hook you up".
Told by my partner before I put handcuffs on a prisoner,
"Hook em up"

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I could never buy a house without seeing it.

(Yeah Yeah. I know. I know. Do not come after me. I know it happens all the time in TV real estate. Works out fine, mostly, I guess.)

I could never (again) buy a car without driving it. Even when I have had a car sent to a dealer from another dealer, it is with the understanding that I will have to drive it before I buy it. (Many years ago, my first new car buy, I got the color I wanted sent in, but it came with an annoying squeak that could never be located. Never happened since.)

I just won’t take a chance on buying “a pig in a poke.”

Last edited by Boomer; 12-02-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly View Post
What if it were wearing lipstick?

All things weigh differently, many have no scale.
Nope. Never ever. (But hey, you almost had me with your use of the subjunctive.)

Last edited by Boomer; 12-02-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Platinum member

Wall-eyed hissy fit; fixin to; that dog don't hunt; don'tcha know; hang it over your nose and snap at it; gunna do; cuter'n a speckled pup; I reckon; down/up/over yonder; bust your britches; set a spell; howdy; and then some; too pooped to pop; boy howdy; raisin' cane; jack up hell and put a chuk under it; hotter'n Hades; stinks to high heaven; nervous as a whore in church; nervous as a long-tail tomcat in a room full of rocking' chairs; frog strangler; cattywompus; dumber than dirt; nail-biter, dunno. Lots more where these come from.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-03-2018, 12:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Wall-eyed hissy fit; fixin to; that dog don't hunt; don'tcha know; hang it over your nose and snap at it; gunna do; cuter'n a speckled pup; I reckon; down/up/over yonder; bust your britches; set a spell; howdy; and then some; too pooped to pop; boy howdy; raisin' cane; jack up hell and put a chuk under it; hotter'n Hades; stinks to high heaven; nervous as a whore in church; nervous as a long-tail tomcat in a room full of rocking' chairs; frog strangler; cattywompus; dumber than dirt; nail-biter, dunno. Lots more where these come from.
Where the heck is all that from?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

He/she knows where the pies are hidden. (about a larger person)
Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. (amazed)
If it's full of gas, ice cold, and has bubbles, it aint beer.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:20 AM

When my aunt in Georgia was really tired, she'd say she "wasn't worth killing". My dad called all his girls "sugar lambs".
Old 12-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

not really an 'expression', but many folk used to/still end a statement with "you know". Or "like". Or "no problem".

But recently I've noticed - mainly Millenials - begin a sentence with "So...". It has become the latest "filler word".

More worrisome...I hear that I do that as well... So, that's my input. So, have a good day on ToTV.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

I picked up the "I'm like" and "So he goes" and "y'know?" stuff from the kids I worked with. It's a bad habit but I don't think it's a local thing. So, y'know, I'm like thinking it might be like some kid thing, cause they go "oh yeah y'know so he's like I'm sure!" all the time, no matter where I am. So like, y'know?
Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I understand all this clear as a bell, and I'm not even from TEXAS. I like the way you talk, girl.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Yuhs guys'
ga' 'head and smile. Noo Yawk dialect.

I sawr it, the sofer in the living room is green and FDR...we have nothing to feee-uh but fe-ah itself.

Hey, yoo tawwkin' ta may'...well, fuggedaboutit!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
In New England wicked = extremely good or bad, usually good. And many words that end with er we usually substitute the er with an a. Lobster, we say lobsta. Gloucester we just say Glousta.
More specifically, "wicked" means "extremely". such as, "It is wicked good." or "It is wicked bad". "It is wicked cold outside."

The dropping of the R is a very common Boston/New England trait of the regional accent. It's not only words that end in er. In pretty much every case where an R is used after a vowel, it is replaced with an H. Pahk the cah. In Gloucester, the u is also dropped so it becomes Glostah. Worcester is Woostah. I grew up in the city of Reveah. See if you can figure that one out.

When I was growing up in the Boston area soda, was called tonic. I lived in a city heavily populated with Italian Americans. All pasta was referred to as macaroni. "What kind of macaroni are we having today Ma?" "Spaghetti"
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 12-03-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Platinum member

Papaw used to threaten to slap me naked and hide my clothes.
Pert near.
"Nary"....I still let that one slip out sometimes to say "none" or "not any".
Old 12-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Where the heck is all that from?
Texas! My daddy used to always say when we got a scrape or some other minor injury, "Ah, I've had worse places than that on my eyeball". We got to "cuttin' up (misbehaving)" too much, Mother or Granny would threaten with "I'm gonna stomp a mudhole in ya if you don't straighten up". We always referred to soft drinks, no matter what they were, as Cokes (Teen slang, "Momma, can I go get a coke with xxx?). Clobber was another word for punching someone or something. Then there's "WFCOL (well for crying out loud) when something is totally unbelievable. "Fine" = good looking. I still carry a "purse", not a pocketbook, too.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

Tags
words, fun, huh, pardon, friends

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.