Would you continue living here after your spouse passes ?

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2020, 05:41 PM

My wife passed away 16 months ago and was quite lll for many years prior, early on I decided to stay and did just that. There is no better place to be with all the fabulous friends one makes here. The kids back North all have jobs and the grandkids are having fun growing up. Everyone needs companionship, someone to eat with, play (golf, cards,pickleball etc).At our age it is amazing how honest and open we are with each other and no subjects (except religion and politics) is forbidden to discuss. In my case I have no interest in getting married again or having someone move in with me or vice versa. I was married to the most wonderful woman for 53 years and still think of her daily. That being said however, life goes on and I have started a new chapter in my life with a new lady friend who thinks exactly how I do. Obviously each has to do what is best for them.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:10 PM

Almost eight years ago when my husband and I were touring The Villages and deciding about moving here, one of the things he said was when the time came that one of us was alone, he thought The Villages would be a great place to find peace and heal for the one left behind. He passed almost three years ago, and he was so very, very right. If it wasn't for the wonderful people we met here, who have become dear friends, I'm not sure what shape I would be in. I thank the Lord he led us to this amazing community.

Last edited by firebiker; 11-02-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

It's unlikely that either of us would ever remain in TV for long if the other spouse passed.

Too much of a game changer to remain in a huge house so far away from the rest of our family...

life is for the living...that would be the time to move on to the next life chapter
Old 10-27-2020, 07:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I can’t say what we would do but I know several who have stayed and have rich full lives here. Each person is different.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Gold member

Husband and I have discussed......of course one never knows until they are in the situation. But, as of now whomever is alone would definitely consider moving into one of the new apartments The Villages is building.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyoughtsix View Post
My wife passed away 16 months ago and was quite lll for many years prior, early on I decided to stay and did just that. There is no better place to be with all the fabulous friends one makes here. The kids back North all have jobs and the grandkids are having fun growing up. Everyone needs companionship, someone to eat with, play (golf, cards,pickleball etc).At our age it is amazing how honest and open we are with each other and no subjects (except religion and politics) is forbidden to discuss. In my case I have no interest in getting married again or having someone move in with me or vice versa. I was married to the most wonderful woman for 53 years and still think of her daily. That being said however, life goes on and I have started a new chapter in my life with a new lady friend who thinks exactly how I do. Obviously each has to do what is best for them.
Good for you
Old 10-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Gold member

I've been a widower for over three years. Different situation than most. No kids, no family at all, just me. Here, I have friends, acquaintances, hobbies and activities. Even if I wanted a change of scenery, geography, or climate, I'd be alone and have to start over. There are lots of sights to see by land and air travel, but The Villages will remain my home base.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyoughtsix View Post
Thank You for your honesty and God Bless...
Old 10-28-2020, 04:50 AM

My wife passed away in Nov of 2016. I soon entered the single life here and found that there were many clubs and functions just for singles. During my single life I met my current wife and true soul mate. During normal times this is the best place to be a single person
Old 10-28-2020, 04:58 AM

As a widower I moved here. The social activites and friendly atmoshere attracted me. I have family north and a little here. Covid and lock down has changed my outlook some as the people here have been nasty compared to a year ago, Lack of interaction is a problem if you are by yourself. I also do not see the rioting and extreme issues as in NY , Portland , Philly ,,,,,while I consider moving back I have not ....I hope as covid and the election passes things become more like they were....
Old 10-28-2020, 05:00 AM

My husband passed away seven years ago. We had so many wonderful friends and neighbors I couldn’t imagine leaving. My children are spread all over the country with none living in my home town. I stayed and I am so happy I did. Five years ago I met a wonderful man and I couldn’t be happier.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:06 AM
Thumbs up

We've discussed this...

If I survive, I'll get a smaller villa (now in designer).

If husband survives, he'll get cable.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:31 AM
Email Reported As Spam

when U stay in a motel U dont talk to anyone, staying in a campground U talk to everyone.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypress View Post
Nope. She like likes it here and I could care less about this place.
Copy that - I didn’t want to be here in the first place, but she really likes it so it was worth moving here just to make her happy. I got a F/T job outside of TV so I’d only really have to be here 2 days per week!
Old 10-28-2020, 06:03 AM

I lost my husband in February. Although it’s been incredibly hard during the pandemic, my friends have been so great at visiting and lifting my spirits. I’m a people person and had to put myself out there. There are good people here. Yes it’s lonely at times, but I think it would be worse somewhere else. I can’t imagine being anywhere other than the Villages I feel safe and know my friends are there for me. I hope to stay here until the end.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, living, spouse, life, recent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.