Cause For Concern - Rentals in TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2014, 05:38 AM
Sage
Default Cause For Concern - Rentals in TV

I have seen ads for weekly rentals in TV. Now I notice an inquiry about purchase by multiple families, and purchase by a LLC. I believe that if we don't get a grip on these issues, we will have properties occupied by people that don't have a vested interest in our community, don't stay long enough to learn the local "rules", and won't make any attempt to educate themselves prior to signing a lease. I don't know if sales can be somehow restricted, and the duration of rentals regulated, but IMHO, the time has come to find out. I don't believe sales to any entity other than a real person should be allowed (not trusts, or corporations), and rentals should be at least 90 days (the longer the better). I do not mean to cast aspersions in all renters, but as we all have seen, 1 rotten apple can create a barrel full.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

There will always be people that don't stay long enough to learn the rules. Heck, a lot of year round residents don't know the rules or don't care. We don't have any control as far as this issue goes. It is what it is.......part of living here. I've accepted it because this is where I want to live.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Actually, two couples purchasing one home is not that uncommon here. It's been done several times. So far as I know, these couples are very much vested in maintaining their property and following the rules. They're also less likely to rent out their property since one couple or the other is frequently in residence.

As to corporations, trusts, etc. purchasing a property, I can't see the issues unless purchasing specifically for rental properties with the intent to do as little maintenance as possible. Of course, individuals purchasing with the same intent would be just as big of an issue. Many people set up trusts for tax and liability issues. These folks are just as likely to properly maintain their property as you or your next door neighbor.

So, should lifestyle visits be banned? Really see no difference between someone renting for a week to visit family here or someone taking a mini vacation and calling it a lifestyle visit. Most of these renters are excellent short-term renters. They're thrilled to be here, happy to visit their friends and families, more than willing to respect the rules here. While we're at it, guess we should shut down The Waterfront since people staying there are visiting for even shorter periods.

Like it or not, TV is going to have renters. Some long-term, some not. Some will maintain their rental as if it is their home, whether staying three days, three months or three years. Others will never maintain their property, whether owning, renting or living with family here.

Tis a very large brush with which you are tarring short-term renters and individuals purchasing their homes in ways in which you do not approve.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 10-14-2014 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 10-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Sage

I have rented several times in The Villages since 2011, each time in a different village to get a taste of what living in that part of The Villages is like as I would like make The Villages my home at some point in the future. My rentals have all been in the "slower" season for a week or two at a time, because I still work full-time. I would love to rent in TV for 3 months at a time, but I don't get that much vacation time. I don't know too many people who work full time who do get three months of vacation time, except perhaps teachers if they are not teaching summer school or working on a graduate degree in the summer.

All of the landlords I have rented from in TV (with the exception of one), were frogs who owned the rental home as investment income. The owners of the home I rented this past July are Canadians, so they only occupy their home in TV for 6 months of the year, and they try to find renters for their home in the "slower" season.

During the times I have rented in TV I have never driven while intoxicated, gotten intoxicated at a restaurant, bar or at one of the squares, bought or sold illegal drugs, destroyed anyone's property, gotten into a car or golf cart accident, thrown a wild party, or committed any crime. During the day/early evening I enjoy the beauty and activities of The Villages, and then I come back to the rental home at night, have a glass of wine, watch a little television, then go to bed. Gosh, I am one wild woman!

Just two cents from a wannabee who hopes to rent again in TV next summer, but it will be for a week or two unless I win the lottery. Maybe someday I will be your full-time neighbor in TV.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 10-14-2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Platinum member

Yes, there are some senior communities (I can give you one specific example) that regulate rentals - must be a minimum of 6 months or more. I don't know the logistics of their rental control process.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Sage

Can I sell half my house to my brother and his spouse and have 4 names on my deed?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Sage

I don't believe you will really see many investors coming into TV to buy rental property.
Because of the cost of property, the maintenance fees involved, and the seasonal nature of TV just doesn't make sense. Most rentals I am familiar with are seasonal residents or folks that have purchased a home with the intent of occupying themselves when they retire.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Gold member

When i first came to tv multiple ownership was not allowed - now many people own many home and rent them -- now tv has lost it friendliest town appeal -- be careful multiple ownership does nothing but create a slumlord environment---- few if any multiple owners do anything to add to the value of there rentals except the minimum maintenance until the next rental - their are exceptions but few. yes this is america and everyone has a right to make money --- that how slums are created --be careful --
Old 10-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Can I sell half my house to my brother and his spouse and have 4 names on my deed?
Yes, you can. Be sure it is all done through a real estate attorney and recorded. Depending on circumstances, it may mess up a homestead ecemption - but the real estate attorney could advise on that aspect.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

Don't lump all "non-individually named" owners together.

Our home is owned by our family trust as an estate planning matter but we have every intention of maintaining it as it is "our" home.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213
Default Renters

Yes, you can actually "sell" half your house to your brother and have 4 people on the deed and receive (4) green cards.

You can actually "sell" to just your brother for the deed and his wife will also get a "green card" because they are married. That is how it worked for a friend of mine- here in The Villages for a new construction home that was purchased.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
When i first came to tv multiple ownership was not allowed - now many people own many home and rent them -- now tv has lost it friendliest town appeal -- be careful multiple ownership does nothing but create a slumlord environment---- few if any multiple owners do anything to add to the value of there rentals except the minimum maintenance until the next rental - their are exceptions but few. yes this is america and everyone has a right to make money --- that how slums are created --be careful --

I am very skeptical about this. You said you have friends who rent to chapter 8 and you have friends who rent as a time share?

I haven't run into any folks doing this here. Have any of the other posters???

I will now go to our old friend and the person who sold us two homes, Jim McLaughlin who is a sales agent for Villages and ask him if this is possible here.

I will be back.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 AM

A week long rental by a corporation, sounds like a lifestyle review I went on in Aug.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

I haven't head of anyone renting to Section 8, but I am not sure why it would not be possible. I was in Real Estate in Virginia, not once was the "location" of a home a concern for a approved home for Section 8. The conditions were set by the local Section 8 department, it was based on the condition of the home and inspections of the property.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

there are thousands of renters each year in TV without incident. There may be one in 10,000 homes with more than the usual ownership.

I do not think this is an issue for concern at any level what so ever.

Relax and enjoy the view!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.