Retired couple from Bel Air Maryland considering relocating to The Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Default Retired couple from Bel Air Maryland considering relocating to The Villages.

[glow=red,2,300]Retired couple from Bel Air Maryland considering relocating to The Villages.

We have been warned that there are alligators, snakes and lots of bugs in the area during the summer months. Please advise!
???
Old 07-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Default Re: Retired couple from Bel Air Maryland considering relocating to The Villages.

Yes there are snakes, bugs, and alligators in the Villages.....they are virtually the same snakes you have in Maryland. My lot backs up to 220 acres and I have seen one black snake in two years and I am an avid gardener. Snakes are not an issue!!! Alligators, yep I've seen them several places. I moved from a rural area in South Georgia and we had ALLIGATORS!!!! Alligators do not like people and will avoid them. Now if a small dog is running around the edge of a pond might be considered prey to one but they are very benign if left alone. I've jet skied and water skied in a lake with alligators. As to the bugs....far fewer than I thought there would be. Yes we have the love bugs for two months a year but there is almost a constant breeze here so the bugs are not obvious. I've rarely been bitten by a mosquito or annoyed by a black fly. There are none of the things in the creepy crawly specter that would be an issue. The only issue is a good tee time in the winter LOL. The villages is a 10+, Come on down!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Default Re: Retired couple from Bel Air Maryland considering relocating to The Villages.

My husband and I are als considering moving to the villages from South Carolina so I was very interested to read both the question and reply. It answered a question I had, particularly about alligators. I was also pleased to note the the love bugs aren't too much of a problem. We have a house to sell and are also planning to visit the villages to spend a few days there and get a better feel for life there. From all I've read it sounds wonderful. And so far I have seen nothing written that causes me think there are too many problems. Sounds like the place for us!
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

We come from Fredericksburg, VA. Yes, there are alligators and bugs, etc. but I have only seen gators from a distance or on television. Yuk, saw a snake about a year ago and it terrified me but it was out on Highway 441.

I a sure there are snakes around the property but you can do things to keep them away. Keep the grass cut; don't plan shade bushes; hire a pest control person for the bug prevention. Just be diligent and you'll be ok. I was scared when we made the move but I saw more snakes in Fredericksburg than I have seen here.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Hello Fran. See you in the morning at 8a.m. :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Firecracker!!!! Yup. Will see you at 8 a.m. at our lovely adult pool for morning walking exercise!!! Gosh, I LOVE this place!!!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.