Xfinity connectivity problems

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2021, 08:56 AM
Default Xfinity connectivity problems

Hi, I moved to new house in October & got Xfinity internet plus their "flex" plan of streaming services for $25 a month. I use my own new router, a Netgear C6250 100NAS, which Xfinity says is compatible. For any of their services the I try to use, typically the program (no matter what service) is dropped 5-6 in a half hour, any time of day, any day of the week. I get a message from them that there is a "problem on their end" and they are working on it. This has happened every day since October. My router is right next to their box and right below the TV. I also have a Chromecast device hooked up. My internet service is fine. Any ideas about how to fix this? Thanks

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 02-09-2021, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Well at $25/mo. for internet you're getting the slowest connection speed they provide and even if the say 25mb/sec you notice is also says "up to" before that so you'll likely get a lot less. Now if you have anything else using the wifi it will also use up the download speed...even if you aren't using it(phone, laptop/desktop computer, iPad, etc.)

If your wifi router isn't an expensive one that can also effect download speed(used for streaming data).
Old 02-09-2021, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

"Knowing" Xfinity they are probably trying to make it as miserable as possible for you so you eventually give up sub to their "regular" TV/Interent service. For $25/month you get $25/months worth.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Well at $25/mo. for internet you're getting the slowest connection speed they provide and even if the say 25mb/sec you notice is also says "up to" before that so you'll likely get a lot less. Now if you have anything else using the wifi it will also use up the download speed...even if you aren't using it(phone, laptop/desktop computer, iPad, etc.)

If your wifi router isn't an expensive one that can also effect download speed(used for streaming data).
Thanks!

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 02-09-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
"Knowing" Xfinity they are probably trying to make it as miserable as possible for you so you eventually give up sub to their "regular" TV/Interent service. For $25/month you get $25/months worth.
Thanks. This is what I suspected.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Thanks. This is what I suspected.

Wasn't true in our case. First year on the start 25mbit plan for $20/month. Fine. No issues.

You mentioned your router which is an AC1600 and that's a decent router.

You also mentioned "their box".

Their box is almost certainly garbage. My suggestion is to get a decent DOCSIS 3.0 or better cable modem, Netgear or Arris are both good and replace whatever $5 cable modem xfinity gave you.

Of course, they could have provided a decent cable modem, experience tells me they did not.

I have two villas, I run AC3100 routers and NETGEAR CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems. I've had zero issues. In fact, after the starter 25mbit plan ran out, I now get more than 100mbit on my 100mbit plan. Typically runs 123mbits or so.

I do networking and communications globally for a living. Some of the garbage networking gear these big providers put into homes should be illegal.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:36 AM

"
I do networking and communications globally for a living. Some of the garbage networking gear these big providers put into homes should be illegal."

Amen
Old 02-10-2021, 04:16 PM

I weirdly solved my problem last nite by ignoring Xfinity's streaming offers and downloading my own apps to my phone & using the Chromecast to send to the TV. Three hours with no buffering or drops. For right now this will work. I guess if things go bad again I can either bug them to get another cable box or buy the NETGEAR CM1000 DOCSIS. After dealing with this same company in Ohio, I am trying to avoid talking to them. Thanks, everyone!

Old 02-10-2021, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,603 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
I weirdly solved my problem last nite by ignoring Xfinity's streaming offers and downloading my own apps to my phone & using the Chromecast to send to the TV. Three hours with no buffering or drops. For right now this will work. I guess if things go bad again I can either bug them to get another cable box or buy the NETGEAR CM1000 DOCSIS. After dealing with this same company in Ohio, I am trying to avoid talking to them. Thanks, everyone!
Here are two suggestions. First, connect your router directly to the Xfinity box using an ethernet cable. Another suggestion is to take the Xfinity box to the Xfinity store in Lady Lake, near Best Buy, and get a new box. The people there are very helpful.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,023 Times in 5,324 Posts

We found it was cheaper to supply our own modem/router and bought a top of the line model.

Had a problem a few months ago and it turned out one should not leave modem on ground level but put it higher up. Our son suggested that.

Did so and solved the problem. Xfinity tech was the one who put it on the floor.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
Paula, I think that the internet and cable are extremely weird down here. I am used to calling, setting up the internet, the end. If something wasn't working right, it was usually due to the weather (I lived in the country). To have to pick a service based on number of devices, etc, just shocked me. I got the the 5 device internet, it was a special at $50 and I'm getting $10 because of paperless billing and auto-payment. I just got it this past Saturday. I bought a router at Best Buy. I had trouble setting it up but the Best Buy people helped me tremendously. Oh, I also had what I thought was slow internet and yep it was. Totally my fault, I was signing on to a hotspot instead of my own internet. You might check that too.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:24 AM

I had a connectivity problem a few yrs ago, had my own router. I decided to rent a router from Xfinity, that way, they can't say, "...looks like you've got a bad/slow router...", this way, it places the hardware responsibility on them and not me....(I know, they charge a monthly fee, totally worth it not to get the run-a-round)....just my 2 cents worth.

Clint in Freeport, ME
Old 02-11-2021, 12:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswett5234 View Post
I had a connectivity problem a few yrs ago, had my own router. I decided to rent a router from Xfinity, that way, they can't say, "...looks like you've got a bad/slow router...", this way, it places the hardware responsibility on them and not me....(I know, they charge a monthly fee, totally worth it not to get the run-a-round)....just my 2 cents worth.

Clint in Freeport, ME
I have been trying to get hubs to agree to purchase our own modem/router instead of renting equipment from Xfinity. We would start coming out ahead $14 per month in a year. I quoted Malsua re: the quality of Xfinity equipment. No luck so far. He likes the idea of them being responsible if the equipment goes bad plus he doesn't want to have to set up and configure a new device. sigh ...

kathy
Old 02-11-2021, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I just went in the other direction and rented the equipment from Xfinity. XB7 is the model number and so far when I joined it together with a Free Pod supplied by them our problems are nearly over. It is a couple more bucks but I surrendered. When I want to watch something I don't want to watch that wheel spin anymore. I increased the speed also. Today I'm Lovin them but stand by. I'm familiar with the end of the Comcast Story. LOL
Old 02-11-2021, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,603 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I have been trying to get hubs to agree to purchase our own modem/router instead of renting equipment from Xfinity. We would start coming out ahead $14 per month in a year. I quoted Malsua re: the quality of Xfinity equipment. No luck so far. He likes the idea of them being responsible if the equipment goes bad plus he doesn't want to have to set up and configure a new device. sigh ...

kathy
I rent a modem from Xfinity for the same reason. If you have an Xfinity landline phone, then you need a modem that costs about $250. So, the payoff time period is about 18 months. But, suppose your service goes out, you call Xfinity, and they say the problem is your modem. If you own the modem you have to either prove them wrong or replace your modem. In the meantime, you have no service. So, if I were to stop renting the modem, I would feel the need to have a spare modem on hand, especially during the modem warranty period, because it may take weeks to enforce the warranty.
Closed Thread

Tags
day, xfinity, router, service, services

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.