Xfinity Modem/Router Issue

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2021, 06:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Pick up the phone

Make it easy on yourself call Xfinity and tell them you're having an issue and see if they have a solution. I dropped my Xfinity modem a while ago and purchased my own.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliedog1950 View Post
I have my Xfinity Modem/Router sitting outside my TV cabinet in my family room. I have no problem with wifi reception to the family room TV and our Chromebooks anywhere in our home or outside in the lanai. However; my lanai TV is only 4 feet from the modem/router and I constantly lose the wifi connection when watching wifi youtube TV. It happens when watching live sports, 15 times during the Packer game. The signal needs to travel only 4 feet through an insulated wall, I tried a wifi booster/extender and that did not help. Is the Xfinity combination modem/router that poor?
I had a similar issue. I purchased a thicker cable and problem solved.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlride View Post
I have Amazon Alexa's all over my house. The only place that it does not work is the Lanai. I am guessing it is the wire mesh inside the concrete. Probably the same thing you are seeing
Maybe she doesn't like the lanai.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

To check out your network, you start checking with a wired connection 1st coming out of the router. If a wired connection doesn’t perform to the speed you are buying, why would you think wifi would be any different?
If the wired connection works, then go on to testing your wifi connections. When you go out to your lanai, don’t you go thru many feet of sliders mad of glass? Unless your lanai is built like a bank safe, you have a wall of glass that is not wire meshed lined. I get over 200Mb on my lanai. I also have my smart grill outside my house and have a 2.4ghz signal out there.
Download the Ookla network speed test app or search for the website on your browser. Check your latency ms and your network speed on your lanai. I setup 1 ssid for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks so I let my device determine which network to use. If your network has a separate network ssid’s for the 2.4 and 5ghz networks, then try your network tests using each ssid to determine which 1 your tv needs to us for the best speed.
Also, if you aren’t getting a good wifi connection in a remote location, why would you think a wifi extender would help? The extender needs a good wifi connection too.
The best way to extend a network is with wired extenders/routers which I have done. I terminated every room that has a cat6 cable with an Ethernet termination and hooked up a 2nd router with a wired connection so that second router gets the max network speed then it will broadcast a stronger wifi signal to other parts of your house
Old 10-26-2021, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have my Xfinity Modem/Router sitting outside my TV cabinet in my family room. I have no problem with wifi reception to the family room TV and our Chromebooks anywhere in our home or outside in the lanai. However; my lanai TV is only 4 feet from the modem/router and I constantly lose the wifi connection when watching wifi youtube TV. It happens when watching live sports, 15 times during the Packer game. The signal needs to travel only 4 feet through an insulated wall, I tried a wifi booster/extender and that did not help. Is the Xfinity combination modem/router that poor?
while some have said that stucco wall, I'd start with the TV since most lanai TVs are cheapo crap from walmart. but first GO PACK GO!

get speedtest app on your phone. run it in different spots of your house/lanai and notice the difference in performance. If on the lanai you get no loss and typical performance it's your TV. Personally I have never had any problem inside or outside, even though all the companies supply a horrid modem/router which I usually circumvent anyway.

do the test, you'll get the answer before you put a hole in the wall
Old 10-26-2021, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Ethernet over Power Lines

Quote:
One other solution is using Ethernet over Power lines. This is where you plug your router into an adapter that plugs into a power outlet. At the TV side, there is an adapter that goes from the Ethernet on the TV that plugs into the outlet.

I use it and it works very well.

Amazon.com
Old 10-26-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I had this exact problem with my lanai TV after I installed a new TV. Found that I had accidentally connected to the 2.4 GHz frequency, not the 5.0 GHz. Switched to the 5.0 and problem solved.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:36 AM
Default Lania

I have an 82 inch Samsung in my lanai. The lanai is enclosed and air conditioned. I have a centurylink modem and router on another room in the house I have two extenders. Even with the lanai doors closed I get great reception and use Netflix and Amazon prime with no buffering. I pay for 100g speed through century link. A,e s
Old 10-26-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Step 1. Run a speedtest on another device near the tv to see if it is a bandwidth issue and see if there is difference on the other side of the wall before you begin destroying your house.

Google: speedtest.net

Type "speedtest.net" in google.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togabill View Post
Which Netgear did you decide on for an update? Mine is getting too old to keep up.
I found an article online that listed the top replacement modem/routers and separate modems & routers. I wanted a combined modem/router unit as it's simpler, fewer boxes, etc. and went with their next to the top pick, a Netgear AC1750. Street price on these is around $150 but I found an 'open box' unit for a fraction of that on Ebay and couldn't be happier. It doesn't support GB speed but supports my 600MB just fine. Their top pick was another Netgear unit that goes for $350 which was more than I wanted to spend especially if I didn't have to.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:38 AM

Try positioning the router up as high as you can in the house. Less obstructions might help
Old 10-26-2021, 10:49 AM

Personally I feel the provider (spectrum, xfinity, etc.) Wi-Fi devices are junk...and you pay a premium to use them. We have our own Wi-Fi router hooked to the provider modem and experience very few issues. Downside: you're responsible for purchase and upkeep but it is marginally less expensive. ***Be sure to look into Mesh routers if buying your own, you can place the secondary devices to meet you needs***
Old 10-26-2021, 12:04 PM
Smile Netgear Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
We recently switched from Spectrum to Xfinity and less than a month later swapped the Xfinity modem/router for a much higher rated Netgear unit. So far no issues, but we haven't set up a TV yet on the lanai so could run into the same issues as you're experiencing. On the plus side I'll quickly pay for the new router with the $14+/month savings not using their hardware.
Which Netgear unit did you purchase. I would like to switch to Xfinity and buy my own modem with built-in WiFi. Thanks
Old 10-26-2021, 12:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
We recently switched from Spectrum to Xfinity and less than a month later swapped the Xfinity modem/router for a much higher rated Netgear unit. So far no issues, but we haven't set up a TV yet on the lanai so could run into the same issues as you're experiencing. On the plus side I'll quickly pay for the new router with the $14+/month savings not using their hardware.
Had similar scenario, it's really shocking that renting a modem can be that expensive, adult son suggested we get a high end Surf Board brand, the $$ savings, plus the MUCH better performance.... absolutely amazing !
Old 10-26-2021, 12:23 PM
Default Xfinity Issues

I have had nothing but problems with Xfinity, my issues typically start in the evening. I will get buffering, freezing, and stream repeat. They have given me 4 different modem/routers and I have continued to increase my speed, now at 600 mbps. After numerous calls to their tech people (who are of course hard to understand), I emailed the retail manager in Lady Lake. They were supposed to send a crew out here early this morning to fix any line issues, but I won't know if they improved anything until I watch TV tonight. I too couldn't watch the Packer game and haven't been able to watch my hockey games at night. If I had another choice for the
internet, Xfinity would be gone!!
Closed Thread

Tags
wifi, modem/router, xfinity, feet, lanai

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.