Tunnel Walkers

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Tunnel Walkers

Driving north from Lake Sumter to Spanish Springs, we entered the tunnel under 466 and were surprised to find two walkers with a dog right in front of us.

Needless to say they were wearing dark clothes and didn't have a torch, and our eyes were adjusting from the brightness of day to the gloom of the tunnel, but I digress.

If you did want to walk through a golf cart tunnel, would you choose to walk with, or facing, traffic?

Personally, I would walk with traffic, and pick up the pace, to give drivers more time to see me, but I'd be interested in hearing your view.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Veteran member

I wouldn't walk in a tunnel, if you need to get to the other side do what the chicken did
Old 03-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

The tunnels are part of the multi modal trail so walkers, runners, bikers skaters etc. are all allowed to use the trail system. While walking, running or skating I would go against traffic, if biking I would go with traffic.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM

We slow down when entering a tunnel for this very reason. You never know who else is using the multi-modal paths.
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
I wouldn't walk in a tunnel, if you need to get to the other side do what the chicken did
Crossing 466 on foot is not for the faint-hearted, either, as I doubt that anyone turning from Morse on to 466 is expecting to have to give way to a pedestrian.
Veteran member

i would prefer to just cross the street at the light.....but if I did need to use the tunnel I would walk toward the traffic... but somewhat toward the middle of the tunnel.....I always want to see what is going to hit me
Old 03-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
...if I did need to use the tunnel I would walk toward the traffic... but somewhat toward the middle of the tunnel...
that's a good call - at least if you are in the middle of the path you can choose which way to go
Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudda1955 View Post
We slow down when entering a tunnel for this very reason. You never know who else is using the multi-modal paths.

Thank you. The two things people can't seem to wrap their minds around are: 1. They are not "golf cart tunnels" 2. Slowing down.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Driving north from Lake Sumter to Spanish Springs, we entered the tunnel under 466 and were surprised to find two walkers with a dog right in front of us.

Needless to say they were wearing dark clothes and didn't have a torch, and our eyes were adjusting from the brightness of day to the gloom of the tunnel, but I digress.

If you did want to walk through a golf cart tunnel, would you choose to walk with, or facing, traffic?

Personally, I would walk with traffic, and pick up the pace, to give drivers more time to see me, but I'd be interested in hearing your view.
We learned the hard way that there is no easy way to avoid the tunnels when walking. We decided to walk to the Brownwood farmers market a few months ago. VERY BAD IDEA!!

There is no provision for walkers to avoid tunnels. The only option is to cross Buena Vista, or Morse, or 466a etc. It's a very scary, unsafe situation. There are no "crosswalks" near the tunnels to avoid them.

Never again!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Platinum member

I do not have a death wish!! I do not walk through tunnels!! I do my walking above ground to avoid being put under ground!!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Eternal Member

Last summer, Mrs. Trap was in the golf cart when a heavy downpour came up suddenly. She was hurrying home, entered a tunnel to cross Buena Vista and almost ran into a cart just sitting in the tunnel to avoid the rain. He did not have lights on and the tunel was dark. Some folks just do not have common sense.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Email Reported As Spam

If you note most if not all tunnels now have lighting. some tunnels have had thir walls painted to lighten them and hence reflect more light...this work was done for a reason. there is a solution for walkers. So please, re-route your walk to avoid tunnels because it is an accident waiting to happen
Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Sage

A torch Articfox? How would we ever guess where you are from

My mode of operation when moving about TV is always expect everyone else to be nuts (no offense, my thesaurus missing). Obviously they are not, but if you walk, drive a car, cart or bike around, you will meet a small percentage that make you shake your head and will be happy you were expecting the unexpected.

When walking in a tunnel, my awareness is at a peak, same as it would be when I used to walk around a tight corner on a country road 'back home' with no sidewalks. I know I have every right to be there, but to be safe I have to be aware of the drivers blind spot and expect them to not be paying attention...

In the tunnel I lean towards walking WITH traffic but always looking back for anything coming. With traffic with eyes in the back of my head if you will... Anywhere else I walk against traffic...

It obviously varies based on tunnel and situation...
Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
...most if not all tunnels now have lighting. some tunnels have had their walls painted to lighten them and hence reflect more light...
this will certainly aid people's safety - let us hope that they do them all
Old 03-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Still not walking in a tunnel. I have control over what i do, but not others

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.