Yearning for the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts
Default Yearning for the Villages

Well, Old Man Winter has arrived at our house up north. Although it is beautiful, winter is also why we became snow flakes (not birds). Wishing tomorrow morning we could wake up at our home in the Villages and jump in the golf cart for 18 holes and them some dinner and dancing at one of the town squares. I guess instead I will have to get up and fire up the wood stove and then go out and fire up the tractor and plow the white stuff. Getting kind of old for this! Cant wait until the holidays are over and we can head south.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Sampson12:9:17.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	73010  
Old 12-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Well, Old Man Winter has arrived at our house up north. Although it is beautiful, winter is also why we became snow flakes (not birds). Wishing tomorrow morning we could wake up at our home in the Villages and jump in the golf cart for 18 holes and them some dinner and dancing at one of the town squares. I guess instead I will have to get up and fire up the wood stove and then go out and fire up the tractor and plow the white stuff. Getting kind of old for this! Cant wait until the holidays are over and we can head south.
Your home is lovely! Looks like a winter wonderland.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
You are not alone in your wishes. It's 32 degrees here with 4 inches of snow so far.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:

As a Mainiac who left after the Blizzard of 1978, I feel your pain. The picture is beautiful - but why continue to put yourself through the pain? Sell your snowblower and get out of Dodge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Home for the holidays. Woke up to 4 inches. Love the white bright sparkle of snow in the sun. The snow brings out everyone to shovel, help each other, have conversations about the holidays. Makes the holiday displays and lights complete.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:26 AM

Beautiful home Tophcfa! consider yourself lucky too! You will be in TV in the blink of an eye. I have this and one more Michigan winter to go through before I will be there permanently. We are not getting a lot of snow in this part of lower MI but the recent change from the 50's to this blast of cold has me longing for TV too. I can take the snow (at least through the holidays LOL) but the bitter cold is not my cup of tea anymore.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I miss the snow but only the week between Christmas and New Years. We had a mile long driveway and some years plowing was a real chore. The snow was less appealing then and when spring or black fly season arrived, it was mud.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Thumbs up

I have not felt really cold weather since leaving Itasca, IL in 1994. Do not miss it but that is quite a beautiful looking home tophcfa. Also spent time in Denver, Minneapolis and near Milwaukee. Native cheesehead here.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

I feel your pain. This is the backyard scene we woke up to this morning. One more coffee before I start snow blowing my 125 foot driveway. The good news is that three weeks from today we will be in the sunshine state.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	D796A079-95B2-4E33-8589-54C0D76B9829.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	73017  
Old 12-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

Low temperatures in the 30s last night. Only thing missing was the snow. Stay where you are, clean the driveway, start a fire in the fireplace, make something warm to drink sit back and watch the football games.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Low temperatures in the 30s last night. Only thing missing was the snow. Stay where you are, clean the driveway, start a fire in the fireplace, make something warm to drink sit back and watch the football games.
It was 20 degrees here this morning. You pretty much described my day except I will also take a trip to the YMCA to swim my daily mile. Wish I was going to a heated outdoor sport pool in my golf cart. Oh well, soon enough.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I remember the white stuff. I had the only snow blower on the cul de sac, and I typically did 5 driveways. Ours was 20ft wide and 30 ft long, and always had 2 cars that had to be moved to completely clean the drive. 2 neighbors had the same size, but not the extra cars, and 2 had single wide drives. Good memories, but glad I am not doing it now. Even with a larger Sears snow blower, this was a 2 to 3 hour process. During snowmegeden (Oct 31), I actually had to go out 3 times the one day just to keep up with the snowfall.
OP, looks like you have a great house, hang in there for a couple of weeks, then welcome back to TV!
Old 12-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
As a Mainiac who left after the Blizzard of 1978, I feel your pain. The picture is beautiful - but why continue to put yourself through the pain? Sell your snowblower and get out of Dodge.
We lived in Winthrop, Mass. during the '78. Since Winthrop is accessible only by two small bridges, the whole town was shut down for a week. You could pick up fish on the streets! And we walked through the Sumner tunnel to see movies in Boston!

We moved here because I broke my ankle checking a neighbor's house in Provincetown.

When it was snowing, I usually made soup.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post

Oh boy, I'm from Boston and lived through the blizzard of 78. All the snow was the very heavy wet stuff. Plows couldn't plow. In my eyes, 78 was the king of all blizzards to hit Boston..
Old 12-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Keep your eye on the prize...........

christmas trees at the villages, florida. - Bing images

Tags
villages, fire, winter, stove, wood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.