Yearning for the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Oh boy, I'm from Boston and lived through the blizzard of 78. All the snow was the very heavy wet stuff. Plows couldn't plow. In my eyes, 78 was the king of all blizzards to hit Boston..
Yes, remember it well. Our suburban town (20 mns from Boston) was literally shut down. I had a friend working at the Sheraton on 93 in Andover who could not get home for a week. The kids had a great time!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It was 20 degrees here this morning. You pretty much described my day except I will also take a trip to the YMCA to swim my daily mile. Wish I was going to a heated outdoor sport pool in my golf cart. Oh well, soon enough.
tophcfa I feel your pain. You reminded me of the daily ache we had and the new question every day I put those who lived here before us through. All that thinking, planning, longing makes it all the more sweeter once you get here and get settled in. I'm a Poolaholic and trust me unless you are a Polar Bear there will be no pool in The Villages today. We can't wait to have you here full time, be careful in that terrible snow.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:28 PM

Snow is a bad four letter word in my book. So is cold.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

When we sold our place on Maui and moved here, it was because I was NOT going to go through another Michigan winter after being in warmth and sunshine for 17 years. I remember the Great Snow of January 1967 (26 inches), the April Surprise on April Fools Day ( 11 1/2 inches), the Blizzard of '78 ( 24 inches) and just the general little Alberta Poopers that would drop a couple inches of partly cloudy and then move on. By the end of a week of that you'd have a foot of snow piled up on the sides of your driveway. As a Chicago ex pat and now Las Vegas resident friend said to me "A dog shouldn't live in that weather".
Old 12-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Currently, where I am now it is a little too warm for my taste, 80 degrees, due to a Santa Ana condition; fortunately the fires are not affecting me.

Back in the early '70's I moved to Rochester, NY from the D.C. area. I did not even know what a snow blower was or looked like. Was I in for a surprise! Rochester received 144" of snow rather than the usual 72". Although the short summers were incredibly beautiful and enjoyable and I loved the finger lakes I tell people "It was the longest twenty years I ever spent in thirty months!" - the length of my stay.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Home for the holidays. Woke up to 4 inches. Love the white bright sparkle of snow in the sun. The snow brings out everyone to shovel, help each other, have conversations about the holidays. Makes the holiday displays and lights complete.
Add to this sittings by the fireplace, doing genealogy on computer, playing games, reading, sewing, knitting, trying out new recipes, taking a class in CPR, catching up on necessary medical procedures, etc. There is so much to do during the winter when you don't want to go outside. We are not outdoor people anyway.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Oh boy, I'm from Boston and lived through the blizzard of 78. All the snow was the very heavy wet stuff. Plows couldn't plow. In my eyes, 78 was the king of all blizzards to hit Boston..
During that 1978 blizzard, the town grocery store hired a sleigh and a couple of horses to deliver groceries to homes. (Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA).
Old 12-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Currently, where I am now it is a little too warm for my taste, 80 degrees, due to a Santa Ana condition; fortunately the fires are not affecting me.

Back in the early '70's I moved to Rochester, NY from the D.C. area. I did not even know what a snow blower was or looked like. Was I in for a surprise! Rochester received 144" of snow rather than the usual 72". Although the short summers were incredibly beautiful and enjoyable and I loved the finger lakes I tell people "It was the longest twenty years I ever spent in thirty months!" - the length of my stay.
manaboutown, I know its off the subject but could you post that black & white Del Webb story about the beginning of the whole planned 55+ Retirement Community? It would be best under the thread that is running currently called RETIREMENT. I remember it was in two parts and it told a beautiful story and I think it may help some people struggling with the thought of retiring. It was excellent and I'm certain you did it about 2 years ago. Thany You Sir.

Back on the subject, just came in from helping to put up the Christmas Lights and am more thrilled than ever that we are here and not in the Northeast. The family is a little hurt that we didn't plan to go back in the cold for the holidays so we invited them here and got several takers at this point. They just have to get ready for the new normal. We're here for the winter, visiting in summer time up north.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Gold member

Don't miss it...
Kobelco SK235SR Excavator to pile snow In Sault Ste. Marie Michigan - YouTube
Old 12-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
manaboutown, I know its off the subject but could you post that black & white Del Webb story about the beginning of the whole planned 55+ Retirement Community? It would be best under the thread that is running currently called RETIREMENT. I remember it was in two parts and it told a beautiful story and I think it may help some people struggling with the thought of retiring. It was excellent and I'm certain you did it about 2 years ago. Thany You Sir.

Back on the subject, just came in from helping to put up the Christmas Lights and am more thrilled than ever that we are here and not in the Northeast. The family is a little hurt that we didn't plan to go back in the cold for the holidays so we invited them here and got several takers at this point. They just have to get ready for the new normal. We're here for the winter, visiting in summer time up north.
Done! Those old videos nailed it. I hope it helps the OP.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

Back on the subject, just came in from helping to put up the Christmas Lights and am more thrilled than ever that we are here and not in the Northeast. The family is a little hurt that we didn't plan to go back in the cold for the holidays so we invited them here and got several takers at this point.The y just have to get ready for the new normal. We're here for the winter, visiting in summer time up north.
I like this thought, Nucky. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, fire, winter, stove, wood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.