Yes or No re Painting the ceiling

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2018, 05:48 AM
Veteran member
Default Yes or No re Painting the ceiling

If we don’t upgrade to a bigger place and garage, we may have some interior painting done at our courtyard villa (which we love despite a few shortcomings). Do most people paint their ceilings white (as opposed to the current off-white) when having the walls painted?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,611 Times in 5,195 Posts

I think that painting the ceilings, walls, and trim all the same color is a way for the builder to save money. That is how they painted rental apartments up north. But, using a "ceiling white" paint on the ceilings will provide a brighter look to the house. But, I really think it is personal preference.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 AM

I have painted walls and ceiling all the same color, I think it makes the room look bigger and ceiling higher because of the continuity. Personal opinion. Light colors only of course.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

I never repaint ceilings......almost nobody ever looks up....in a normal household environment they do not get dirty......stains/etc for whatever reason = different story.....then ceiling white (so I know where the room ends!).
Old 07-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
If we don’t upgrade to a bigger place and garage, we may have some interior painting done at our courtyard villa (which we love despite a few shortcomings). Do most people paint their ceilings white (as opposed to the current off-white) when having the walls painted?
If you have popcorn ceilings they will have to be primed before they can be painted. That said the choice is purely yours. We removed our popcorn and painted our ceilings bright white. You also didn't say what color you were going to paint the walls, some colors look great with the "Villages White"
Old 07-19-2018, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think how the ceiling looks is relative. Probably more important to honeymooners.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-19-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My CYV ceiling is white, I thought they were all that way until I went into my neighbors home. As soon as I walked in I thought a smoker lived there, the walls and ceiling looked aged, or somewhat dirty. I found out that every other home in our villa community had white or light tan, and of course to save money they spray the ceiling the same. Little did I know we were one of the lucky ones to have a white ceiling. Definitely repaint your ceiling, if you go look at a CYV with a white ceiling, the difference is night and day. We had Investment Painters paint our walls a light blue, the home with plantation shutters and wood floors has a Key West style now. Since this photo we've changed all the appliances to stainless.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

If I’m painting one color. I loved to paint. Woodwork and Closet doors always white.

If I hire a painter the ceiling is white for sure.

CFrance might be interested in yout house if you move. Take Care.

Last edited by Nucky; 07-19-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
My CYV ceiling is white, I thought they were all that way until I went into my neighbors home. As soon as I walked in I thought a smoker lived there, the walls and ceiling looked aged, or somewhat dirty. I found out that every other home in our villa community had white or light tan, and of course to save money they spray the ceiling the same. Little did I know we were one of the lucky ones to have a white ceiling. Definitely repaint your ceiling, if you go look at a CYV with a white ceiling, the difference is night and day. We had Investment Painters paint our walls a light blue, the home with plantation shutters and wood floors has a Key West style now. Since this photo we've changed all the appliances to stainless.

The Villages Florida
Always enjoyed your taste. Continue to share pictures of your digs.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Do most people paint their ceilings white (as opposed to the current off-white) when having the walls painted?
Most people? -- No. My personal opinion for me? -- Also no because I feel I will be the only person who will notice.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 AM

I don’t know your situation but for me... The toughest part about painting is:

1) Color selection - After the tragic "Pepto Pink" incident of 2005, when I repainted my daughter's room (walls, ceiling, inside door, closet doors and trim), I have NO SAY in the colors we paint the house.

2) Moving furniture and masking – If I need to move or work over furniture and if I have to mask off areas (windows, doors, etc.), I want to paint everything in the area I can. I really dislike moving and masking…

I hope in some small way this helps you.

Last edited by Tom C; 07-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone. Just thinking ahead to October when we are back in The Villages and maybe having some painting done.
Got back to RI Sunday and all I have been doing since is weeding, cutting grass and planting flowers on my 2 acres, all stuff I use to enjoy in my younger days. At 64 it’s getting a bit much. Oh, the advantages of a courtyard villa!!!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage

Before painting, it might be worthwhile to have your A/C ducts checked or cleaned out. Just sayin........

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We once considered this for our Great Room ceiling here, but may clash with our decor'. Also wanted an estimate from the painter but never returned our calls>
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	sistine_chapel.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	75792  
Old 07-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
We once considered this for our Great Room ceiling here, but may clash with our decor'. Also wanted an estimate from the painter but never returned our calls>
I like it Dean! It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Tags
painting, people, paint, shortcomings, love

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.