Yet another accident....

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 PM
Sage

The pedestrian's friends play pickle ball with my wife-the victim is in an induced coma @ Shands

If the golf cart didn't have specific cart insurance, does her home owners policy cover this kind of accident-either way she is in a world of hurt, legally, financially & emotion
Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The pedestrian's friends play pickle ball with my wife-the victim is in an induced coma @ Shands

If the golf cart didn't have specific cart insurance, does her home owners policy cover this kind of accident-either way she is in a world of hurt, legally, financially & emotion
Well at least your wife did not lose a pickle ball partner...sorry poor humor, just could not help myself.

Really terrible what happened, really, and to both women.

You sure about Shands, I thought the paper said she was airlifted to Ocala Regional??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
This happened on 466 by Wal Mart.
You were driving your golf cart on 466?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Carts don’t have the right away. You have to drive assuming the car is your enemy. Drive defensively and arrive safely. By the way don’t believe the car’s turn signal.
Also, don't believe the golf cart's turn signal.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You were driving your golf cart on 466?

Also, don't believe the golf cart's turn signal.

Absolutely the truth!! They should require extra loud turn signals on carts along with 100 watt flashing LEDs to match!

I modified my carts turn signal so it will be loud enough to wake up the dead when flashing. It can be heard on top of my radio even with the 150 watt subwoofer blasting XM 70's channel and windows closed. [emoji3][emoji3]

---------
My user name should be EdF(formerly from)NJ and glad to be gone. [emoji3]
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:14 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
The back roads here remind me a little of "Deliverance"...

Oh my goodness, I would not want to attempt that.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
By gosh. I think this attitude may be a big part of the problem. Yes, we are a golf cart community but this community has vehicular traffic on county roads.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have heard countless ravings from TVers that they could drive their golf carts anywhere and anytime, giving the impression that it was the reason they moved to TV.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. I have heard countless ravings from TVers that they could drive their golf carts anywhere and anytime, giving the impression that it was the reason they moved to TV.
Countless ravings?

It is true that I drive my golf cart anywhere in TV it is legal to do so, and I do this anytime of day or night I please. It is also true that for many people, the ability to live here and access everything via golf cart is a major attraction. Certainly is for me. This does not mean I think I always have the right of way or can violate traffic laws.

TV is indeed a "golf cart community" and the largest one in the world. That's not going to change. Painting cart drivers or car drivers with a broad brush is foolish. There are bad cart drivers and bad car drivers, I avoid both whenever possible.

Last edited by GoodLife; 01-23-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Countless ravings?

It is true that I drive my golf cart anywhere in TV it is legal to do so, and I do this anytime of day or night I please. It is also true that for many people, the ability to live here and access everything via golf cart is a major attraction. Certainly is for me. This does not mean I think I always have the right of way or can violate traffic laws.
Same here.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Sage

Quote:

TV is indeed a "golf cart community" and the largest one in the world. That's not going to change. Painting cart drivers or car drivers with a broad brush is foolish. There are bad cart drivers and bad car drivers, I avoid both whenever possible.
Good post, clear and concise.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
You heard that? Lol

What brought you to TV?

Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
It really takes the experience of both owning here and living here to truly understand the day to day activities such as driving a golf cart "anywhere and everywhere".

The reality is that there are few owners who pass others on golf cart paths and very few who drive without care. There is a big problem with those who drive anything with a snoot full............or even a couple beers. You have to be dead eyed sober to stay alive for long in this area with all of the folks who come here and don't usually drive anything, like those who live in large metropolitan areas and use public transportation 365 days a year. They rely heavily on their horn.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
There are bad cart drivers and bad car drivers, I avoid both whenever possible.
You left out one more group - bad bicycle riders. Actually I don't know if bicycling is a popular sport down there.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage

Just like boating we learned more in our first 30 days of full time cruising than we did in NJ as weekend boaters for 14 years--the same goes for driving anything in TV--it takes months if not a full year to get comfortable with the lay of the land and it takes awhile to acquire a perception of what to expect , especially during snowbird season and or holiday season
Old 01-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Just like boating we learned more in our first 30 days of full time cruising than we did in NJ as weekend boaters for 14 years--the same goes for driving anything in TV--it takes months if not a full year to get comfortable with the lay of the land and it takes awhile to acquire a perception of what to expect , especially during snowbird season and or holiday season
I agree with this assessment. It applies to adjusting to driving in any new community during each season. As to how good a golf cart driver one becomes...I doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with home ownership other than perhaps driving responsibly as insurers know all too well. Probably the younger drivers who have driven a lot of accident free miles over the years after a year in TV will be the best. Eyesight (cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma...) physical strength and endurance, reaction time, the effect of medications (legal & illegal), an affliction such as Parkinson’s disease and possibly dementia all play a role. After a time even a home owning long time resident of TV ought to hang up his/her golf cart keys as well as the car keys.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I agree with this assessment. It applies to adjusting to driving in any new community during each season. As to how good a golf cart driver one becomes...I doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with home ownership other than perhaps driving responsibly as insurers know all too well. Probably the younger drivers who have driven a lot of accident free miles over the years after a year in TV will be the best. Eyesight (cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma...) physical strength and endurance, reaction time, the effect of medications (legal & illegal), an affliction such as Parkinson’s disease and possibly dementia all play a role. After a time even a home owning long time resident of TV ought to hang up his/her golf cart keys as well as the car keys.
I would disagree with what I bolded above. In my experience, the worst cart and car drivers are impatient younger and most likely recent transplants from dog eat dog urban environments. The older folks seem to show more courtesy, obey stop signs, and are not in a hurry.

Older folks are old because they have successfully avoided traffic accidents and other forms of death.

If you read the online news, they usually report the ages of people involved in traffic accidents. There are plenty of them caused by younger drivers.

Last edited by GoodLife; 01-24-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
hit, time, cross-walk, plaza, pinellas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.