Are you a Cruiseship fan ?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2021, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Well it's a good thing that the CDC hasn't said that vaccinated people "must" wear masks indoors, isn't it?

They recommend it, for reasons that have been explained in a few other threads that you've already been an active participant in.

Stop spreading rhetoric. No one is denying you your rights, no one is being contradictory, and the CDC is being helpful with their RECOMMENDATIONS (which are something other than mandates - you can look that up for yourself).

As for me, I really love the concept of cruising, and I loved our first cruise. I also liked hanging out at the bar on our last cruise. But I'm not a fan of a few thousand people all stuck on the same boat with no escape for days at a time. I've told my spouse that I'd like for our next cruise to be a river cruise, on a small boat that accommodates only a few hundred people.
As you wish.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-29-2021, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

The cruise lines make the rules, not the CDC. The international ports make the rules, not the CDC. The CDC make rules for US ports which is why some cruise lines were threatening to originate cruises from non-US ports. So far, cruise lines seem to be holding firm to sailing with only 100% vaccinated folks on board. I suspect that will change when the cruise lines are willing to accept more risk and liability.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-29-2021, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
The cruise lines make the rules, not the CDC. The international ports make the rules, not the CDC. The CDC make rules for US ports which is why some cruise lines were threatening to originate cruises from non-US ports. So far, cruise lines seem to be holding firm to sailing with only 100% vaccinated folks on board. I suspect that will change when the cruise lines are willing to accept more risk and liability.
The problem is if they accept more risk and liability by allowing non vaccinated folks on board is the risk of the end of cruising.

All they need is one major outbreak and they are done.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

The CDC is now saying cruising will be allowed out of US ports in mid July if 98% of the crew and 95% of the passengers are vaccinated.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

We went on a cruise and had a blast right before the cruise lines were shut down due to Covid. I hope to go on another cruise as long as there are not mask mandates, social distancing and other restrictions. The vaccine is available to those who want it. For those who prefer to take their chances that is their call. I don't think the cruise lines should be put in the position of demanding mandatory Covid vaccinations. Some people can't take the vaccine and some people (kids) aren't even being offered the vaccine.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
The CDC is now saying cruising will be allowed out of US ports in mid July if 98% of the crew and 95% of the passengers are vaccinated.
If the cruise lines agree, so far they are at 100%. They will need proof of vaccination and will be interesting to know what they will accept.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-30-2021, 10:18 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
The vaccine is available to those who want it. For those who prefer to take their chances that is their call. I don't think the cruise lines should be put in the position of demanding mandatory Covid vaccinations. Some people can't take the vaccine and some people (kids) aren't even being offered the vaccine.
For liability reasons, mandatory is the only smart way to do it. The vaccination age is expected to drop to 12 shortly as well.

As far as younger kids, the CEO of Royal stated a couple days ago "obviously we carry a lot of kids 11 and under, but relatively speaking, as a percentage of our total guest counts, it's quite a small number. So we're not overly concerned with that."

Royal Caribbean talks about CDC letter and what it means for kids | Royal Caribbean Blog

That means it is less likely to get in an elevator and finding all the buttons pushed....
Old 04-30-2021, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
For liability reasons, mandatory is the only smart way to do it. The vaccination age is expected to drop to 12 shortly as well.

As far as younger kids, the CEO of Royal stated a couple days ago "obviously we carry a lot of kids 11 and under, but relatively speaking, as a percentage of our total guest counts, it's quite a small number. So we're not overly concerned with that."

Royal Caribbean talks about CDC letter and what it means for kids | Royal Caribbean Blog

That means it is less likely to get in an elevator and finding all the buttons pushed....
I think that they might be underestimating how unpopular a vaccination mandate for cruises combined with the inability of families to bring their children along is going to wind up being.

I suppose they are free to adopt any rules that they want to. We'll see how long those rules last.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:22 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
I think that they might be underestimating how unpopular a vaccination mandate for cruises combined with the inability of families to bring their children along is going to wind up being.

I suppose they are free to adopt any rules that they want to. We'll see how long those rules last.
They want cruising to restart as badly as anyone. And the ships are booked up at a higher level than they've ever been at. Many of them are already red-flagged, which means they've reached capacity.

As far as adopting rules - that's a CDC / CLIA thing. Whatever one cruise line does, they'll all do. Patience is the key. My assumption is the faster everyone gets vaccinated, the faster the rules will be lifted.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Went by Port Canaveral recently; it was like a ghost town. Vaccination mandate is fine by me, as I am looking forward to a megaship cruise.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
We are hard core cruisers (30+ cruises all over the world and on different size ships) and have booked to go again in the coming year. I am a strong advocate that everyone who boards the ship be vaccinated unless there is a valid medical reason not to be vaccinated. In that case, the person should be tested every couple of days since they probably will be going ashore. Of course, if they have a valid medical reason not to be vaccinated, they probably should avoid cruising altogether.
We are the same, cruised 35+ times, still love it even though it's changed a lot. Agree that is someone is not vaccinated for health reasons, they probably are not making the best choice to cruise. We were on a ship that specifically stated for no young children (under 18) but a couple thought it was cute to bring their 8 year old. Also stated that if someone had a health issue, they should think of a different cruise line. Ended up having a major fire onboard and needed to do abandon ship about 3 hours after the fire started. It was very difficult with a child whining and crying and trying to get a gentleman off the ship with oxygen. I've been on ships with a lot of children onboard and I've been on ships with the majority being much older. I see the hazards on both ships, just 'in case' an emergency happens. Wishing everyone smooth sailing, stay safe even beyond COVID!
Old 05-01-2021, 07:59 AM
Platinum member

Do not want to get into politics, but Mr/Gov DeSantis wants Florida to have a law where in companies can not make it a requirement that their customers are vaccinated to use that business. For a small business this might make sense, but for the cruise industry it is crazy.

My opinion is that cruising will get back up to speed if their are rules that all passengers and crew are vaccinated. I am ready to go now.

F
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

DeSantis has banned businesses from setting vaccine requirements. Many cruise lines are requiring vaccinations (95% of passengers must be vaccinated per CDC). Will DeSantis's order hamper the cruise lines from sailing out of Florida? Hopefully the order will be modified.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
DeSantis has banned businesses from setting vaccine requirements. Many cruise lines are requiring vaccinations (95% of passengers must be vaccinated per CDC). Will DeSantis's order hamper the cruise lines from sailing out of Florida? Hopefully the order will be modified.
Interesting. Since the cruise lines are not US corporations wondering whether they can insist on vaccinations and hoping they can.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Default Countries with mandatory vaccinations

So far the following countries require Covid Vaccination PROOF before entering:

Since many cruises go through Bahamas, you think the cruiselines won't have to comply?

Anguilla
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
British Virgin Islands
Croatia
Cyprus
Ecuador
Estonia
Republic of Georgia
Grenada
Guatemala
Iceland
Israel
Montenegro
Nepal
Seychelles
Tahiti

So, do you think the AIRLINES are going to stop flying there from Florida because of the Governors order? At least some of these have direct flights from multiple Florida airports.

These Countries Are Open to Travelers With COVID Vaccines
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccinated, people, cruise, masks, ship

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.