Developer Gary Morse puts The Villages on political map -- Orlando Slantenal

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Eternal Member
Default Developer Gary Morse puts The Villages on political map -- Orlando Slantenal

Any comments about Sunday's Orlando Sentinel article about Gary Morse.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5410930.story

Why do they always make a big deal of his yacht?
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle View Post

Why do they always make a big deal of his yacht?
I'm missing something. I can't find anywhere in the article where they mention a yacht.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle View Post
Any comments about Sunday's Orlando Sentinel article about Gary Morse.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5410930.story Why do they always make a big deal of his yacht?
Muncle, I'm sure that your reference to a yacht must be a joke, but it went right over my head!

Talkhost, are you hynotizing dogs now?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I Kind Of Like The Idea

I like the way Morse conducts himself. While he and his family have been the creative drive behind the creation of the lifestyle we now enjoy, he's also quietly supported the public interests that he feels are important. His conduct and demeanor are a lot more attractive than a Donald Trump, as an example.

I don't always completely agree with his political interests, but I can't argue his right to support them. I admire him for doing so. Our country would be better off if there were more people like Gary Morse.

Last edited by Villages Kahuna; 10-06-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Taltarzac
Default Local politics

The Morse family obviously have a huge impact on Sumter County politics but doubt if they have all that much clout on the national level as this article seems to imply. They probably have a lot of clout in FL politics as well.

They do not seem to have that much power on Marion County politics but some in Lake County.

They would need to have more media control than just VNN and The Villages Daily Sun to do that. There is very little of The Villages Daily Sun available through the Internet.

Books like Leisureville also counteract the political influence TV's First Family might have.

I am waiting though for Gary Morse to be featured on one of Letterman's Top Ten Lists. Then he will have made it into the American psyche IMHO.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-06-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
The Morse family obviously have a huge impact on Sumter County politics but doubt if they have all that much clout on the national level as this article seems to imply. They probably have a lot of clout in FL politics as well.

They do not seem to have that much power on Marion County politics but some in Lake County.

They would need to have more media control than just VNN and The Villages Daily Sun to do that. There is very little of The Villages Daily Sun available through the Internet.

Books like Leisureville also counteract the political influence TV's First Family might have.

I am waiting though for Gary Morse to be featured on one of Letterman's Top Ten Lists. Then he will have made it into the American psyche IMHO.
Letterman !! UGH!!! Mr. Morse is better than THAT disgusting man.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Taltarzac
Default Letterman's Top Ten Lists usually do not improve their target's self-image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallerTrees View Post
Letterman !! UGH!!! Mr. Morse is better than THAT disgusting man.

Just think that Letterman's taking notice of the Villages and/or Gary Morse would show that the US is really taking notice of TV. I did not really make any comment for or against David Letterman.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Eternal Member

Sorry about the yacht comment. The article as published in paper was a bit longer. In the last couple paras, there was a comment about Morse providing transport to pols on his jet and the mandatory reference to his 157-foot boat. Really had no connection to the story, as it didn't to the column by Ritchie when she included the tidbit.

Hadn't noticed that the web site story was considerably abbreviated.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 AM

I thought the article was fair and honest. I don't happen to agree with Mr. Morse's politics but then he probably doesn't agree with mine --- so, we're even.

Yes, he does have a yacht and a couple of airplanes. Why not, he's a very rich and busy man. No national Republican politician would consider trying to win Florida without showing him some reverence. He was the largest single contributor to the Florida Republican Party and major politicos are his guests. Don't see anything wrong with this. If I had his money and influence I might do the same thing (probably not the same guests).

The fact is he was/is a brilliant, hard-working visionary who along with his father turned a run down trailer park into one of the finest places to live in the world. He has earned and will retain my respect.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Smile

"The fact is he was/is a brilliant, hard-working visionary who along with his father turned a run down trailer park into one of the finest places to live in the world. He has earned and will retain my respect. "

I agree.. I only wish I knew his phone number, so I could set up a meeting with him..I have some great ideas for the future of TV..

Gary, if you read this you can email me..LOL

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 10-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default You Might Think That If Morse Was Trying To "Get Something"...

...for his significant contributions to the political party that was in power for six of the last eight years, that we'd be seeing some of the federal bucks at work in The Villages. But even with all his contributions, he hasn't been able to get the simplest "federal benefit"...a Post Office!

Maybe he never asked. If I could confirm that, I'd be even more impressed with the man.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
i thought the article was fair and honest. I don't happen to agree with mr. Morse's politics but then he probably doesn't agree with mine --- so, we're even.

Yes, he does have a yacht and a couple of airplanes. Why not, he's a very rich and busy man. No national republican politician would consider trying to win florida without showing him some reverence. He was the largest single contributor to the florida republican party and major politicos are his guests. Don't see anything wrong with this. If i had his money and influence i might do the same thing (probably not the same guests).

The fact is he was/is a brilliant, hard-working visionary who along with his father turned a run down trailer park into one of the finest places to live in the world. He has earned and will retain my respect.
Well said!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Morse would have to compromise his values and reach a new low for himself to earn that notoriety.

I'm sure Morse would do well to avoid anything "Letterman" as I'm sure he will. Talk about opposites. Yikes!
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley

Last edited by gfmucci; 10-08-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.