you think TV water is drinkable

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I have no idea if an expensive filtering system is really necessary but generally shy away from such claims. it would appear that providing clean drinkable water is a responsibility not taken lightly by the people regulated to protect our water sources and operations. However,

A poster cited another thread that spoke to the NOVA system. The OP displayed a photo showing the comparison between a new filter to the one being replace. The former filter is white and latter filter is brown. But what does that brown tinge represent and is it harmful? Medical people claim a drawback on drinking just bottle water is the benefit of minerals contained in water.

Like the vast majority of people living here we have a refrigerator with a water filter. We use it primarily for drinking . The cost to replace these filters has been drastically reduced especially if you buy on line. Any other uses are cooking with water and hygiene regimes
Old 01-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

My vote goes to the Nova water filtration system. It is not a water softner. They consist of 3 large filters hooked up in the garage as the potable water feeds in, and they do a fantastic job of filtering out the smell and taste. Change filters every 12-15 months depending on usage. Do not need a water filter in our refrigerator any longer, so the cost of that filter is eliminated.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
We've been here 16 1/2 years. We always drink the tap water.

I agree.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default I have tasted worse

Quote:
Into our 11th year here in TV. I have definitely tasted a lot worse and we drink the tap water and filter water on the refrigerator.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

I drink water straight from the tap. Here is a suggestion. Keep a picture or bottle(s) of tap water in the fridge. Drinking it cold reduces the unpleasant flavors.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:45 AM

we just love the Nova system and found the customer service to be top notch !!!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Billions are spent yearly to produce clean potable water in the US . Is there any scientific evidence that expensive filtration systems significantly improve quality? I believe water softeners add salt content to the water. Is that a good health move?

How about facts-- Not a Nova informercial?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Sage

Don't need any expensive filter system- cut in a simple GE-whole house filter with the carbon element--change the filter every 6 months--haven't had to change the frig filter in 5+ years--simple way to go make sure to install a bypass when you're working on the filter--just in case
Old 01-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Sage

Water softeners add sodium, in proportion to the hardness of the water, not salt. Salt is sodium chloride. The amount that is added is small - typically much less than the recommended amount of sodium in your diet. It is really a non-issue for most people especially if they eat any processed food (which typically have large amounts of sodium). Regardless, if the small quantities of sodium is still a concern, use potassium chloride as a regenerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Billions are spent yearly to produce clean potable water in the US . Is there any scientific evidence that expensive filtration systems significantly improve quality? I believe water softeners add salt content to the water. Is that a good health move?

How about facts-- Not a Nova informercial?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
To anyone that has had decent public water, or have taste buds that work...it's pretty bad.

Bottled water and a filter on the fridge (mostly for coffee) is the only water I'll drink...if I have a choice.
I'm with you, always drink bottled water everywhere. Chlorine will kill good gut bacteria. 80 percent of immune system is in your gut. Filters do not eliminate chlorine, only boiling for a few minutes.

Last edited by maureenod; 01-07-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Thumbs up

DITTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
To anyone that has had decent public water, or have taste buds that work...it's pretty bad.

Bottled water and a filter on the fridge (mostly for coffee) is the only water I'll drink...if I have a choice.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Sage

A carbon-block filter will remove chlorine at the 99% level, for the concentrations we have in The Villages (1.5 ppm) and typical flow rates from a kitchen faucet (1 gpm), when new. This will degrade with time but is easily monitored with chlorine test strips. KDF-based filters will also remove chlorine. The carbon-block filter I use (20"x4.5" Big Blue) costs about $60 and is good for about 2 years before I notice any chlorine leakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenod View Post
I'm with you, always drink bottled water everywhere. Chlorine will kill good gut bacteria. 80 percent of immune system is in your gut. Filters do not eliminate chlorine, only boiling for a few minutes.

Last edited by biker1; 01-07-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
DITTO!
When we moved here, the first thing we did was make a cup of tea as we were unpacking. It tasted so strange to me I had to look at the package to see if perhaps I had mistakenly used a tea other than plain Lipton. Later, as I ran the tap, I thought I could smell chlorine or some other chemical.

We too had Nova install a whole house filter. The water, for our taste, is dramatically improved since the installation.

So, while I believe the water is "drinkable" without filtering, the issue for us was taste.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM

How the tap water tastes in TV is somewhat a function of where your house is located. There are 4 different water source companies that serve TV with 3 of them proving potable tap water and the 4th just serves irrigation. Check the water quality reports of each of the 3 and you will see the water quality is different based on the source company. As for us, we drink the tap water, unfiltered, and it is probably not the greatest tasting water, but certainly drinkable. For more info: (the source is .... w.districtgov.org/departments/Utilities/utilities.aspx)

North Sumter County Utility Dependent District (NSCUDD) services approximately 46,138 residents.

North Sumter Utility (NSU) and Villages Water Conservation Authority (VWCA) services Districts #5, #6, #7 and #8 and a portion of District #9

NSU comprises 229 miles of potable water mains, 172 miles of sanitary sewer mains, 33 miles of sanitary force mains, 4306 manholes, 30 lift stations.

VWCA (irrigation only) comprises of 244 miles of Non-Potable water mains and hosts 1972 fire hydrants.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I always drank tap water wherever I've lived. I think that if there are impurities in it, they help to build your immune system. I think that we are becoming weak because we want everything to be perfectly pure. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

We did have a whole house Nova system installed, but that was because my wife was getting a rash and though it might be the water.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
aftertaste, leaves, lingers, water, drinkable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.