Younger Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Younger Villagers

Is it just me? It seems that on the online newspaper there are a lot of younger Village 'residents' getting arrested. 20, 30, etc. year olds. What gives?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Boomerang kids.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

To be a 55+ Retirement community, current rules require that one person on 80% of the deeds in the community be over age 55. TV meets that requirement, I think - and I am sure someone is monitoring it. All the other people in the home can be almost any age EXCEPT under 19. As Bizdoc pointed out, you thought you were an empty-Nester and got rid of those problem kids but they couldn't cut it on their own and they "boomeranged" back into your fold - now in TV.

Of course that is a generalization - not true in 100% of the cases - but you get the idea of how it happens and exactly why the high percentage of 'youngsters' making the daily arrest reports - they were losers before they left mom or dads nest, couldn't make it in the big, bad world on their own, and now that they've returned, they are supported (by mom or dad or grandparents) or subsidized (by us taxpayers) losers, still causing all the trouble they have always caused.

My suggestion is that we remove the warning labels from ALL products and let nature take it's course. That should drain the shallow end of the gene pool.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Default Slightly harsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
To be a 55+ Retirement community, current rules require that one person on 80% of the deeds in the community be over age 55. TV meets that requirement, I think - and I am sure someone is monitoring it. All the other people in the home can be almost any age EXCEPT under 19. As Bizdoc pointed out, you thought you were an empty-Nester and got rid of those problem kids but they couldn't cut it on their own and they "boomeranged" back into your fold - now in TV.

Of course that is a generalization - not true in 100% of the cases - but you get the idea of how it happens and exactly why the high percentage of 'youngsters' making the daily arrest reports - they were losers before they left mom or dads nest, couldn't make it in the big, bad world on their own, and now that they've returned, they are supported (by mom or dad or grandparents) or subsidized (by us taxpayers) losers, still causing all the trouble they have always caused.

My suggestion is that we remove the warning labels from ALL products and let nature take it's course. That should drain the shallow end of the gene pool.

However, I agree. Some parents are total enablers, they don't know how to say no. Makes me crazy. I know there are situations when a little help is needed, economically it's a tough time. I'm happy that I could help my kids every now and then but as far as them mooching off of me, that will never happen. There doesn't seem to be any consequences for bad actions now. I struggled with being a single mom, but I made it work. I don't know if I've had the blessing of dumb luck, but it can be done. Oh dear, I'm rambling all over the place, sorry.

I guess I am just blessed with having productive kids that want to make something of themselves. I spent my life raising my kids and now it's time for me, me, me. Boom!

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

The other situation is that your youngest cf 5 is in college and you wanted to move to The Villages because you were ready to leave the cold weather up North and your child needs a permanent residence. Our daughter is a junior at Ave Maria University in Naples, however, she left for the summer and is working in North Wildwood, NJ. She will be returning in a week and will be traveling to England for two weeks, prior to returning to school at the end of August. She is not a boomerang child nor is she enabled. She is a bright intelligent woman who needs a place to call home, which at this time is TV.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Sage

The ages of buyers and residents of new home are easily tracked, and, I imagine, regulated, but how about resales? How would resales be regulated ? I find it hard to believe that some authority could tell me that I could not sell my home to a 35 year old couple.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
The ages of buyers and residents of new home are easily tracked, and, I imagine, regulated, but how about resales? How would resales be regulated ? I find it hard to believe that some authority could tell me that I could not sell my home to a 35 year old couple.
EZ. All you have to do is track the green ID cards. As for telling you who to sell to, keep in mind the "under 19 rule". Everyone who tried to challenge it in court with a reason why they should be the exception has lost.

Why does the 55+ rule exist? Simple, there is a federal law which exempts 55+ communities from having to provide services for children (like schools, playgrounds, etc). It also makes it legal to discriminate based on age (you have to have a person on the deed over 55), but allows some flexibility in recognition that some folks retire early.

If you think it is a bad idea, you need to read up on some of the early "over 55" communities which didn't enforce the rule and lost their status. Not pretty.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Sage

Judge not until you have walked a mile in someone's shoes.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Judge not until you have walked a mile in someone's shoes.
???????????
Old 08-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In awe of TV View Post
However, I agree. Some parents are total enablers, they don't know how to say no. Makes me crazy. I know there are situations when a little help is needed, economically it's a tough time. I'm happy that I could help my kids every now and then but as far as them mooching off of me, that will never happen. There doesn't seem to be any consequences for bad actions now. I struggled with being a single mom, but I made it work. I don't know if I've had the blessing of dumb luck, but it can be done. Oh dear, I'm rambling all over the place, sorry.

I guess I am just blessed with having productive kids that want to make something of themselves. I spent my life raising my kids and now it's time for me, me, me. Boom!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
There is nothing in the regs that say you can not sell your house to a 35 year old buyer. It does say who can occupy an occupied unit. The following is copied from the regs.

"3. Verification of Age of Occupants – Verify age of occupants at time of
occupancy and update verification every two years.
a. Policies must require compliance with age verification procedures.
The best documentation of age is government-issued identification,
such as drivers license, passport. Alternative methods are available
if such documentation cannot be provided. 24 C.F.R. 100.307(7)(f).
b. The biennial age survey must show 80% occupancy by someone age
55 or older.
c. You may use the same proof of age originally provided by the tenant
if you verify the same tenant is in the home/unit.
d. The biennial survey must be maintained and available for public
inspection upon request. The documentation of individual residents,
however, is not open to public inspection."

For a complete copy: http://www.floridahousinglaw.com/pdf...er_persons.pdf
Old 08-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

Momie and Daddie moved to the Villages to get away from them, never figured they would follow.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

How many "problem" adult children are there living with their parents in The Villages?

With whom are they associating?

I can't seem to get the Sheila Miller episode out of my memory.

When I was in my 20's, 30's and 40's the LAST place I would have wanted to live would be back with my parents, especially if they resided in a retirement community.

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Sorry to be insensitive but if you are in your twenties and want to live with mommy and daddy in a retirement community you are a loser
Old 08-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by advp007 View Post
Sorry to be insensitive but if you are in your twenties and want to live with mommy and daddy in a retirement community you are a loser
Really?!?!

There are many special needs children/adults who live with senior parents WHO ARE NOT LOSERS.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.