Pool Privacy

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2021, 09:29 AM
Default Pool Privacy

We are considering building a pool and would like a little privacy on two sides. Trying to decide between a step down wall or just foliage. Pros and cons?

Foliage suggestions?
Old 07-30-2021, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison2242 View Post
We are considering building a pool and would like a little privacy on two sides. Trying to decide between a step down wall or just foliage. Pros and cons?

Foliage suggestions?
The amazing pool designer for T&D, Vera, designed our pool with a raised edge toward the street and said she thought it wise to be fully screened to the ground to allow air to flow and circulate as it is SO hot here. T&D dug up our back foundation plantings and temporarily planted them (rather covered their roots with dirt in the corner of our lot while they were doing the pool) and when finished planted them around the pool and they quickly grew, especially things like the butterfly plants, and well almost everything. We dropped in several Hibiscus bushes and they too took off like wild fire. I think the neighbors can see us when we are seated by the pool, but not in it so much. I know it must be tempting to build half walls, but I don't recommend it. It is HOT enough.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	pool and tree looking nice.jpg
Views:	3206
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	90254  

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-30-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Foliage suggestions?
Podocarpus makes an excellent privacy hedge. We used Viburnum when we built and it also makes an excellent privacy hedge. But the Viburnum grows incredibly fast so trimming is a constant issue. Podocarpus grows as well but a bit slower requiring less trimming. Now having said that, you need to decide how to place any hedge plants. If you plant anything directly around the pool screen if you have a pool screen, it presents a serious problem for screen replacement. We solved that issue by planting our privacy hedges just inside the property line. My sprinklers run along the pool enclosure and reach the hedges on both sides. When we decide to re-do our privacy hedge, we will use Podocarpus due to its slower growth and better shape.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:

Foliage suggestions?
Foliage by all means, you’ll always have to look at a wall (boring!). You can change the foliage and the view, the walls are eternal. Foliage will also give you more air flow for your pool area.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Foliage for sure. Viburnum is an excellent privacy hedge, grows quickly and you can go as high as you want.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

We did a little of both since we have a view and a bike path behind our house. We have a short wall along the back of pool that blocks anyone on the bike path from seeing anyone in the pool but also allows us to see the Preserve from our lanai. We also have shrubs on the side of our birdcage so our neighbors don't have to see me in the pool. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-30-2021, 10:30 PM
Default Pool Privacy

We appreciate the detailed responses. Gave us some good things to think about. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2021, 04:42 AM
Default Pool privacy

[QUOTE=Rison2242;1980623]We are considering building a pool and would like a little privacy on two sides. Trying to decide between a step down wall or just foliage. Pros and cons?

There are plenty of foliage options to provide visual privacy, but sound privacy is best served by a wall. My wall is 4 & 5 feet high. I have adequate air flow, but a friend has 6 foot wall and has problems with air flow.

Foliage suggestions?[/QUOTE
Old 07-31-2021, 06:12 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default pool

Privacy screens on both sides with a mural.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:17 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default pool

ps screns
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	poolscreens.jpg
Views:	1675
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	90264  
Old 07-31-2021, 06:59 AM

Pretty
Old 07-31-2021, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Foliage suggestions?
Another vote for foliage! We have podocarpus but wish we had viburnum. Either would be good I’m sure. I do have 2 suggestions though.

One, plant the bushes far enough away from your screen so they can be trimmed behind them. Someone will need to walk between the screen & plants with a trimmer.

Two, check your lawn/plant sprinkler heads often to be sure your pool is not being hit with recycled water. It will upset the water balance in your pool negatively.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH7SS View Post
Podocarpus makes an excellent privacy hedge. We used Viburnum when we built and it also makes an excellent privacy hedge. But the Viburnum grows incredibly fast so trimming is a constant issue. Podocarpus grows as well but a bit slower requiring less trimming. Now having said that, you need to decide how to place any hedge plants. If you plant anything directly around the pool screen if you have a pool screen, it presents a serious problem for screen replacement. We solved that issue by planting our privacy hedges just inside the property line. My sprinklers run along the pool enclosure and reach the hedges on both sides. When we decide to re-do our privacy hedge, we will use Podocarpus due to its slower growth and better shape.
Viburnum is actually a large plant family. I don't know what variety we have, planted by the builder they are now ten years old. I cut them about 3-4 times a year no trouble keeping them at 6 foot, easy to care for, no disease, no insects.

Podocarpus, I am not familiar with it but internet says it grows to 40-50 feet and 25 foot wide.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Foliage suggestions?
Foliage is a maintenance headache, continued reoccurring costs and dramatic negative impact for maintenance on the pool. Use a fence/solid barrier and just put accent greenery
Old 07-31-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETHOVENMIKEY View Post
Foliage is a maintenance headache, continued reoccurring costs and dramatic negative impact for maintenance on the pool. Use a fence/solid barrier and just put accent greenery
Huh? Do you live in The Villages?
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, foliage, privacy, decide, cons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.