Was your first move to TV a rental?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Default Was your first move to TV a rental?

We're thinking we may end up renting when we move to TV until we find what we're looking for or have something built. If you did the same thing, did you rent a furnished or unfurnished home? Did you rent through The Villages or find something on your own? If you rented furnished, did you have a storage company you used that you were pleased with?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM

My parents are planning on renting unfurnished for a year prior to buying. Hopefully be going down in March to find a rental. We've done that several times in the past when moving to a new area. Get an idea of where we want to buy or build. And also give the folks some time to look into preowned homes as well since we abruptly learned you cannot use VA loans on new homes but only preowned.

The downside as our TV sales rep was quick to point out is you're paying for someone elses house for a year when renting and you could be paying down your own.

It really just depends on how comfortable you are with jumping in.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 PM

I am renting a furnished house for a year. I love doing this. It is giving me time to really find what I want and where I want to be. When I do buy I plan to do so only once. I do not want to buy something quickly only to discover that I really wanted something else and move a year or two later. Also by renting right now I really can focus on getting to know TV and enjoying what it has to offer since I don't have to worry about all those "new home" activities like landscaping and decorating. Personally I have no problem living with someone elses decorating for a year, but I know that could really drive some people crazy. Renting works for me and it works so well I may just do it for a second year. As for paying for someone elses home rather than my own I figure I also have a lot less stress as the trade off. I don't worry about things like sink holes or problems getting homeowners insurance.

I guess I should also confess I was fortunate to find a rental that includes everything so I just have to write one check a month to my landlord and he takes care of everything and the price was very right.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM

I have a rental and a couple people have rented till they decide. If you have questios- email me at lanalarry@gmail.com.
Larry
Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 PM

We knew we wanted to live full time in TV - but there were sooo many choices so we decided to rent unfurnished for a year. We looked at open houses when we felt like it & enjoyed the lifestyle (it really is a lifestyle!) daily. Finally found the perfect (for us) home! One option we did consider is renting furnished and storing our "stuff" in the garage. We found the rental on TheVillagesForRent.com.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Veteran member

Sue and Gene, It's ....thevillages4rent.com.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 AM
Default not sure

Hi all...I am interested in renting too as I am unsure of what I want and if TV is right for me. My question is a little different. I was a live in care giver to my uncle for the past year under Hospice care. He passed on Monday night, it was and wasn't expected. I am on Cape Cod but truly do not want to live here any more for many reasons.

I want to know if anyone knows of a room mate situation in TV. Do others do it? Is it allowed? If so how would I get info on it.

I am a small business owner, retired school teacher, whose business is mainly virtual and beginning in September I will be traveling for 6 months part time. If anyone can help I appreciate it. Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If you are considering renting for a six month or year period, please remember this, you may find your perfect home four days into the lease.

It has happened frequently. Then you have to let your dream house go or buy it and finish out your lease.

We bought a new home 3.5 years ago and sold it and moved into another new house. Moving here is much cheaper than moving up north.

Never say never. Your lilypad may be your first lilypad.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you are considering renting for a six month or year period, please remember this, you may find your perfect home four days into the lease.
This is why I don't even allow myself to look for a house to buy right now....I just know that would happen...so for know I am just enjoying the freedom my rental affords me. Works for me. About 3-4months before I want to buy I will begin looking.

Suzanne
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.