Your opinion..Do we need our own Villages Post Office

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Default Re: Your opinion..Do we need our own Villages Post Office

Lord almighty, do we ever need a post office of our own!!!! Our zipcode is Lady Lake and I am getting sooooo tired of explaining I DO NOT live in Lake County, but in Sumter County. You would think with over 60,000 people here the Post Office could give us our own zip code and post office. It just might be a lot more efficient than what is there now.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:07 AM

i've always been under the impression that at least the sumter county sections of the villages were given their own zip code a few years ago. 32162.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM

A Post office in TV is a "nice to have" but nothing more. The problems that some people address and others don't is indicative of the process not necessarily because the mail comes through Lady Lake. I'd venture that most of us have at one time or another had a packaged delivered late regardless of where we lived prior to coming here. As far as curb side delivery, that can open a big can of worms. Such as would everybody be able to buy the type of box they chose or would the"developer" or the CDDs make a determination on what would be acceptable. Of course that would open the arguement of who makes any profit on the boxes. And the list could go on. I really like the current system even with some of the issues. One thing I really like is when I am gone for a week or so my mail will still be there locked away in a little box and not filling up a mail box on the street. ;D
Old 09-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Eternal Member

When I go away, I ask my neighbor to collect my mail and newspapers for me. They put it in a box and give it to me when I get home. My neighbor was on an around the world cruise. I took care of his mail and did weekly checks of his house.

If you tell the person at the mail box, they will hold your mail and put it in one of the large boxes and put a key in your box on the day you told her you will return. You might have to fill out a form.

If you need a post office, you have Oxford, Summerfield, Lady Lake, Weirsdale, and La Grande. I currently plan my post office run when I am headed in that direction.

When I lived in Jersey, the local Post office was as far as Oxford is now or La Grande is now.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Veteran member

I have never understood the "deal" cut by the developer and the postal service regarding our mail. We are entitled to delivery to our home and I resent having to drive down two streets to pick up my mail. I resent that I am told to pick my mail up more often as I am overloading the box. We are ENTITLED to appropriate mail service and just because the villages is densely populated doesn't mean the post office shouldn't deliver our mail. I lived in a large community in Central Virginia with thousands of residences and the mail was delivered by carrier to our homes.

Where have you heard of paying in your closing costs for a mail box key??? Well, just in case you didn't know it, you did it here.

Mail is a BIG issue to me. We have some folks who have difficulty getting to the mail boxes and they are entitled to have their mail delivered to their home just like every citizen. Even when I lived on a rural route, regardless of weather, etc. my mail was delivered to my home.

The service here stinks and I drive to the post office on 301 to send things off in the mail.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Platinum member

I like the mail banks at the pools. I feel my mail is much safer there and is safe when I travel for a few days.
I vote for the present system.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Sadly, if you are not the developer, you don't get to vote in the Villages. :edit:
Old 09-15-2007, 07:50 AM

I would like to have a postal facility designed with adequate entrance, egress, and parking space within the Villages...parking at current postal locations on the 466/25 roads are crowded, convoluted, and present a wonderful opportunity for an automobile accident.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I like the postal situation the way it is ....My mail is locked away until I want it and I don't have to look at miles and miles of mail boxes of all different shapes and sizes messing up our beautiful Villages.....Get over it Villagers, The Postal Dept. is a dying business and we may as well find new ways of replacing it.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:51 PM

I am very happy with the postal delivery system we have. Ugly mailboxes at the end of driveways is something I would rather not see. Going to pick up mail is a bit of a social thing in our neighborhood.
A post office for the occasional times I need it, I suppose would be nice, but we don't mind driving to the very nice facility in Summerfield (Hwy 301) where the service is friendly and good.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member

Take a ride through Spruce Creek and look at the monotonous ugly mail boxes in front of all of the homes. This is great. The only thing that upsets me is that I do EFT or online payment of everything so all I get at the mail stop are catalogs and invites to financial seminars.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Sounds like Frangyomory has that 'entitlement' mentality that raises my taxes. No one has mentioned the post office in Wildwood that's in the plaza (Sumter County offices, too). If you live south of Lake Sumter it is not that far a drive. I live in Largo and it's about a ten minute trip.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.