Yuletide Gratuities or Tipping

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Yuletide Gratuities or Tipping

I know we have done this to death in other years, but I do have a legitimate question. If the person who does your yard work is the owner of a successful and quite large business do you tip him at this time of year?

Apart from that, who else do you take care of with a tip.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Sounds like you don't want to tip him. You have my permission. I tip well during the year, and I don't feel the need for any additional tipping at Christmas.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I know we have done this to death in other years, but I do have a legitimate question. If the person who does your yard work is the owner of a successful and quite large business do you tip him at this time of year?

Apart from that, who else do you take care of with a tip.
Gratuities for Sanitation Folk

Tipping the Mail Carrier

Poorly Paid Mail Station Workers

Last edited by CWGUY; 12-08-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
What difference does it make what other people do?
It makes a difference because, when most people tip, the business starts to depend on their employees receiving a tip, and they reduce employee pay accordingly. Just look at how tipping has affected the restaurant industry. Even the IRS has created tipping regulations.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It makes a difference because, when most people tip, the business starts to depend on their employees receiving a tip, and they reduce employee pay accordingly. Just look at how tipping has affected the restaurant industry. Even the IRS has created tipping regulations.
Thank you! I won the bet!
Old 12-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Platinum member

This month, I tip the two-man yard crew which includes the owner. I tip my barber extra in December. I buy a couple of dinners for the needy at the grocery store checkout and make my annual donation to St Jude's in December. That's it.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I actually asked "Do you tip the OWNER of the business" and all the etiquette books say NO, only the employee.

Which leads me to think that not many people actually READ and DIGEST the question before rushing to answer, this makes for answers that appear more aggressive than maybe they are meant to be......... and on that note I am out of here, have a great evening.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-08-2018, 05:51 PM

We tip the sanitation workers, my barber gets extra $ and the newspaper guy gets a good one too 5 years living here we have never not gotten our paper no matter how many starts and stops we do.The yard guy gets the best tip he gets to sleep with the lady of the house.

Bob
Old 12-09-2018, 04:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The owner, no. The employees, yes. Biggest mistake I’ve seen here is giving the tip to the owner to pass around to the guys. Too often, this goes directly into the owner’s pocket, never to be seen by the workers.

My tipping list is the newspaper carrier, my mail lady, the lawn guys. I do not tip the sanitation guys but do tip them throughout the year when they do extra for me. I don’t have a hairdresser, but would tip them if not the owner. Ditto my non-existent housecleaner, petwatcher, housewatcher. Servers get an extra $5.00 this time of year.

Grocery stores get extra for those in need. My charities get quarterly donations. Always have toys, pjs, etc. for the rec center bins. I get for the older kids since there always seem to be a lot for younger kids. When my grandsons are with me, I go out of my way to give a little wherever I can so they can see the importance of giving.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 AM

I give a nice tip to my yard guy who is owner as well as my dog's groomer who is also the owner. They both do the work themselves, do a great job and are very dependable and I think they deserve a thank you. I also tip my hairdresser extra during the holidays.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:13 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

As many yard workers go from Crew to another during the year, I feel it's safe to tip the owner and let him decide who gets what. The we cannot be his conscience. I must say this pertains to the small type of lawn crew. I wouldn't be sending any tip money to Massey or Deans for distribution.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

We tip our pool cleaner each year. New problem this year. She got promoted and we now have new person doing the cleaning. She has been at it for only 2 weeks.
I do not plan to tip her as she is an unproven entity.

We also do mail and lawn service folks.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We tip our pool cleaner each year. New problem this year. She got promoted and we now have new person doing the cleaning. She has been at it for only 2 weeks.
I do not plan to tip her as she is an unproven entity.

We also do mail and lawn service folks.
I had the same situation. Gave the new person a tip to grease the wheels for future service. Wasn't as much, of course, but enough to show that we are partnered.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I tip my yard guys, the owners and their help as one works by himself the the other has a helper or two as he is getting older. I tip my pool man, cleaning ladies, mail guys and car detailers, send a box of goodies to my accountant and a couple of commercial tenants and an amusing holiday card to my physician as he collects them and posts them on a bulletin board at his office.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Default Tipping

Don't forget the people who hold classes that you don't have to pay for in The Villages at the rec centers. They are volunteering their time and services. They do not receive payment from anyone.
Closed Thread

Tags
tip, successful, owner, large, business

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.