“The Villages Rocks” rock painting activity group

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 PM
Default “The Villages Rocks” rock painting activity group

Hi all, did a search on the boards to see if this has been brought up in the past, and didn’t see it mentioned, so I thought I’d be the first to spread the word. Have you heard of the rock painting trend that is sweeping the nation? Here’s a link to a great article that explains the concept!

Long story short: Many communities are coming together by starting these rock painting groups, most of which have a dedicated Facebook page. Folks in the community paint rocks with designs or messages to make someone else smile, and place the decorated rocks in public places. If you find a rock, you’re encouraged to post a photo of your new treasure on the Facebook group page, or re-hide it for someone else to find!

Of course, this activity is meant to spread kindness and joy, and not meant to cause any sort of nuisance to the community. When leaving rocks for someone else to find, group members are encouraged to avoid areas that might cause havoc to landscapers, and to be respectful to local businesses.

We have a rock painting group of our own here in The Villages! If you’d like to get involved, check out the Facebook group called “The Villages Rocks” for details. It’s got a fairly small following right now, but the more people that start participating, the more fun it will be. To see what a very active group looks like, check out “Lakeland Rocks” – they have 31,000 members! (For comparison, we have 295 here in The Villages)

I’ll be honest, I thought this was a little silly when I first heard about it – but when I checked out the Facebook group and saw the joy of some of the folks who had found decorated rocks, it made my day! And this activity isn’t just for kids – adults are really getting into it, too. Even if you don’t think you’re artistic, I would encourage you to give it a try… anyone can paint a smiley face or a rainbow! It’s a lot of fun and is a simple activity that has been uniting many communities around the nation.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

My daughter the really into this in Jax
Old 06-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

I signed my granddaughters up for a class of rock painting this summer in our Villages Kid's Camp.. first I had heard of it when I saw the class listed but the girls said it was a "cool" thing that everyone is doing .. so there !!!
Old 06-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Default Reply

We used to have one on the counter f our resort. It said, "Please turn me over". People in line would pick it up. On the reverse side it said, " Thanks, I needed that!" Everyone smiled.
Closed Thread

Tags
group, rock, painting, facebook, activity

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.