3 quick questions

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Question 3 quick questions

What percentage of residents live in TV year round? I'm asking because if we do purchase property, we would reside there year round as opposed to being snowbirds.

For those of you that do live there year round, is it desolate in the summer or does it remain lively?

Lastly, we're in NC right now but are originally from New England. Summers here in NC are pretty brutal in terms of heat and humidity. Does anyone know if it's about the same or worse in TV?

Thanks again for your help! Looking forward to our first visit in 7 weeks!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisad View Post
What percentage of residents live in TV year round? I'm asking because if we do purchase property, we would reside there year round as opposed to being snowbirds.

For those of you that do live there year round, is it desolate in the summer or does it remain lively?

Lastly, we're in NC right now but are originally from New England. Summers here in NC are pretty brutal in terms of heat and humidity. Does anyone know if it's about the same or worse in TV?

Still busy in the summer, just fewer people.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Sage

Disclaimer... the following are opinion, not fact.

I would guess that about 60% of all households are year rounders. The percentage is probably higher in designer neighborhoods, less so in villas.

More and more folks, if not full time, are here for 6-9 months.

Summers are very lively... Lots of golf, games, outdoor music, pools, etc. Lots of kids visiting granma and grandpa. I would never call it desolate. As a four+ year permanent resident, I love the summer.

I'm from the DC area. Summers here are more tolerable than there... they just last longer. By September, you do get tired of 90 degree days. But, it beats shoveling snow. Also, air quality here is almost always code green.... something you don't see in big cities in summertime.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 PM

I work on the trolley and the % they give us is 80% are full time residents...not sure how accurate this # is...but that's the # I give when anyone asks.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisad View Post

Don't know where you are in NC. I don't think the summers in TV are more brutal than in ATL, though as V07 pointed out, they last longer. The great thing though is that winter is shorter!

We love being in TV in the summer, as it is less crowded. It most assuredly is not desolate. If you don't love being outdoors in the summer-- except at one of the pools-- there are plenty of indoor activities at the rec. centers.

Oh, how I wish we were frogs!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

My husband and I live in TV year round, and we think that the summers are just as much fun as the rest of the year; just less crowded. I personally don't find the heat/humidity oppressive, although of course, those conditions do exist (but, not much more than the way it was in Louisville during at least part of the summer there); but, then, we spend most summer afternoons at the pools. I adore soaking up the wonderful Florida sunshine and the beautiful sunrises/sunsets. There are plenty of activities to do indoors in the summer for those who mind the heat. Some adjustments are easy, and obvious, to make; for example, in the summer we take walks early in the mornings, to avoid the hottest part of the day.

To me it is like TV seems like two different places; the way it is in the summer, when it is more 'laid back'; and the way it is the rest of the year. That's part of the charm of living here.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Veteran member
Default From a full time resident

I, also, am from the 'burbs of Washington DC. The heat and humidity here is a lot more tolerable than in the DC area. Yes, it does get in the 90's and there is some humidity - but the air quality is a lot better. No Code Red or Code Orange days (air pollution due to carbon monoxide, bus emissions, etc).

I would guess around 70-75% are full time residents.

The summers are great because it is easier to get good tee times, no restaurant lines, etc. - but we love our snowbirds. They pay property taxes and also keep our ammenity fees low.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Lived in NC for 27 years

NC friends would warm me about Florida heat and bugs, BUT they have a short memory about the heat in NC....We are now permanent here and could not be happier....Love, love, love the Villages....Temps get in 90's but as previous posts indicated, there are many things to do to stay coooool!
In our village, 80% are permanent and when birds return it gets busier of course....We enjoy both seasons and I know you will also...Rent in both seasons and give it a test run....
Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 AM

Thanks for your replies! It seems the % of year round residents is higher than I had thought - which is good! Summers here in NC start in May and last though September. We often have long stretches of 90 degree/high humidity weather so I'm certain I can handle TV with all of the pools!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If I can handle the humidity here, anyone can. I used to live in Diablo Valley in Northern California. It gets hot there, very hot (107 the day I left), but no humidity. Heat I could always tolerate, humidity was something I always found unbearable. The first summer was miserable. The second summer was not quite miserable, but honestly not bearable for me. Do the outdoor stuff early in the morning, take a quick nap, do indoor stuff in the afternoon, relax or goof around in the evening. Works perfectly.

The advantage to the summer is you don't have to wait for things. Rec center activities aren't as crowded. No lines for restaurants. A slower pace of living. Still lots to do, to see and enough people around to see and do them with. Really, really nice.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.