55+ community?

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Default 55+ community?

I read the paper every day and pay special attention to the crimes that happen here. Many/most seem to be committed by "village residents" in their 30s or 40s. What's up with that? We bought our home here because it fit our current stage of life -- retired, over 55. Why are there so many under 55 year-olds committing crimes here? Is this a 55+ community or not?
Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Two reasons. First only 80% of owners must be 55 or older. Secondly some senior residents let their adult children live with them. Hence there are many residents under 55.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

To qualify as a retirement community, 80% of the homeowners have to be over 55 years old. No restrictions if they have their children living with them. No one under the age of 19 is allowed to live in the villages, 30 days(?) is the limit. So, 20% of the homes can be owned and occupied by people between the ages of 20 and 55, and you can still have some living with parents.
I do not have the time or inclination to see how many crimes are committed by under 55 versus over 55, but I think IMHO that some of the reporting may be emphasizing the younger crimes, no proof of this, just a general impression. Also, this is NOT a gated community, so there have been many instances of visitors committing crimes within the borders of The Villages.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
To qualify as a retirement community, 80% of the homeowners have to be over 55 years old. No restrictions if they have their children living with them. No one under the age of 19 is allowed to live in the villages, 30 days(?) is the limit. So, 20% of the homes can be owned and occupied by people between the ages of 20 and 55, and you can still have some living with parents.
I do not have the time or inclination to see how many crimes are committed by under 55 versus over 55, but I think IMHO that some of the reporting may be emphasizing the younger crimes, no proof of this, just a general impression. Also, this is NOT a gated community, so there have been many instances of visitors committing crimes within the borders of The Villages.
See pudding.
The Villages Florida
Old 08-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

80% of the homes have to have one person over 55 living there. Need not be an owner.

And yes, it's obvious under 55s commit much of the crime.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

I noticed a lot of the crime reports were of those under 55 also.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Geoff View Post
I read the paper every day and pay special attention to the crimes that happen here. Many/most seem to be committed by "village residents" in their 30s or 40s. What's up with that? We bought our home here because it fit our current stage of life -- retired, over 55. Why are there so many under 55 year-olds committing crimes here? Is this a 55+ community or not?
Here we go again.

There are more threads if you want to do a search.
55 and under getting in trouble

30 somethings

Not A resident adult child--Not speed
Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Actually none of the owners need to be 55 or over. The standard is homes with one or more occupants being 55 or over. A 25 year old son homeowner, with his 55 year old mother living in , qualifies the residence.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Geoff View Post
Here's the legal parameters of being a 55+ Community:
Housing for Older Persons Requirements

Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes

For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

1. At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.
2. The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.
3. The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.

Housing for Older Persons Directory / Resources / Home - Florida Commission on Human Relations

Old 08-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Why keep talking about only 80% of the homes must be 55 or older. These DUI, drug possession, fisticuffs, shoplifting, stealing, etc criminals couldn't afford a home here if they could. They are adult children who couldn't make it on their own, and the parents take them back.

The didn't make it in the first place because the parents never had ground rules, lacked authority, and let the kid run over them. Now as a 35 year old adult and mostly unemployed, they run over their parents even more who are now less defensible as a senior. It's not until the parent finally puts the foot down and tells them to 'get out', or the law incarcerates them for a length of time, will we see a end to this behavior. Recent case is the 31 year old who while intoxicated (by his own omission) swung his golf cart around in a violate maneuver throwing a 51 year old female out on her head who later died. He now faces DUI vehicular manslaughter. Even with these charges, the parents have him out on bail.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Thank you for the clarification on ownership versus l the home.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Why keep talking about only 80% of the homes must be 55 or older. These DUI, drug possession, fisticuffs, shoplifting, stealing, etc criminals couldn't afford a home here if they could. They are adult children who couldn't make it on their own, and the parents take them back.

The didn't make it in the first place because the parents never had ground rules, lacked authority, and let the kid run over them. Now as a 35 year old adult and mostly unemployed, they run over their parents even more who are now less defensible as a senior. It's not until the parent finally puts the foot down and tells them to 'get out', or the law incarcerates them for a length of time, will we see a end to this behavior. Recent case is the 31 year old who while intoxicated (by his own omission) swung his golf cart around in a violate maneuver throwing a 51 year old female out on her head who later died. He now faces DUI vehicular manslaughter. Even with these charges, the parents have him out on bail.
Excellent point. Some of these creeps never left mommies home.

I know one that briefly went into the military, could not cut it and has lived with daddy since, mooching weed money etc.

Another only left home to go to college, where he actually completed several degrees, but was way too pampered and now is a huge financial and emotional burden on his parents.

Several adult woman I know came back to live with parents, both are underemployed with drinking problems.

Most villagers know a few of these misfits and yes the parents are often to blame.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Here's the legal parameters of being a 55+ Community:
Housing for Older Persons Requirements

Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes

For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

1. At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.
2. The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.
3. The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.

Housing for Older Persons Directory / Resources / Home - Florida Commission on Human Relations
There are a number of people who buy homes here with no intent to live in them but as rental units. so this is another way of getting around the 55+ rule. So a 19 year old can't live here but a 19 year old can own a home

As The Villages continues its growth it adds businesses of all types. Those businesses have to be maned . the employees working at those businesses need housing. Those that can afford housing here and frankly the price range is so broad many could well afford a place here will qualify even under the age of 55

does the 55+ rule have application to resales? I really don't know and within that same question who does the arithmetic on the 80/20split if it does? I mean if 20% can be sold to under 55 then what stops a homeowner from doing so? Who steps in and says wait we need assurance that the split of the split between new and resales is evenly apportioned?

then we have the passing of the estate upon a residents death which also frees up a home to be transferred to those under 55.

I am not hung up on the 55+ requirement, in fact I would endorse it. Nor am I convinced that the offspring of residents are the main cause of crime. a renter will be classified as a village resident based on address given when booked. Many crimes are committed by youth from outside of TV. many crimes are committed by village residents over 55

To cast all blame on adult children living with their parents is very narrow minded, very unkind and hence very unchristian like
Old 08-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Sage

Face it!! Every last one of the under-55's in TV is a drunken druggie thief and worse. They all simply need to be thrown in jail!!

You guys are amazing.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Looks like every home can be owned by and occupied by 19 year olds, as long as they let grandpa live in 80% of the homes with them.
Closed Thread

Tags
crimes, community, 55+, current, stage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.