55+ community?

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Gold member

Seems like over time we have seen a shift from retired seniors to an increased community for troubled children.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

another factor contributing to this dilemma is that the number of homes sold is prominently displayed in the paper, etc. However of little notice are the number people who move away from The Villages.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

It would be interesting to know how many homes are owned in and lived in by people actually 55 and over who house their deadbeat adult children so that the public would come to realize the number.

If one compared the percentage of criminal incidents per person of the under 55's residing in TV to that of the 55 and older the results would not be surprising, at least to me.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
another factor contributing to this dilemma is that the number of homes sold is prominently displayed in the paper, etc. However of little notice are the number people who move away from The Villages.
??? Usually I quickly get your point, but I don't on this post. I am not crazy about a lot of rental homes here either, so I agree with you on that, but the Feds do track ages in an age restricted community.

And Jack, you are partially right and partially wrong. There are losers here who live with their parents, and there are nice kids too who like mine who has retired from working her whole life at McDonald's, granted a little early to retire, she is in her early fifties,, but we were moving to Florida and she lives with us because she has Williams Syndrome. We like that a lot that she lives with us.. There are also young people who have unfixable or difficult to treat mental health problems. WE raised our kids with all of the criteria that you point out not to have a loser and we have no losers but we are just lucky, blessed, and fortunate. Some folks do all of the right things and something is seriously wrong.

There is a lot of bullying going on in the political forum about a similar issue. I hate losers, and I hate selfish and lazy people who drink too much but I hate bullies worse. They are insecure men, usually, who are quick to throw criticism at others. They are unkind at best and usually mean to the core and cruel for the joy of it, and probably have not had good success in interpersonal relationships of any kind; with their folks, with their partners, with their teachers and with their bosses. Now they pick on people who don't deserve it.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Gold member

"To cast all blame on adult children living with their parents is very narrow minded, very unkind and hence very unchristian like"

I don't think all blame is being cast on adult children,
but I do think it a very rational observation that a good % of the crime,
in and about TV is perpatrated by that demographic group.
As far as the unchristian remark, I think it is a sin and diservice to do for others,
what they can, and should do for themselves!
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions!"
Old 08-19-2017, 02:52 PM

Given The Villages is already the size of a small city and is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country, I would contend the issues are not the number of problem people but the fact that EVERY incident is reported and published daily. Only place I've ever been with this much "police blotter" information in your face, all the time.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
Given The Villages is already the size of a small city and is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country, I would contend the issues are not the number of problem people but the fact that EVERY incident is reported and published daily. Only place I've ever been with this much "police blotter" information in your face, all the time.
Bingo.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here we go again.

There are more threads if you want to do a search.
55 and under getting in trouble

30 somethings

Not A resident adult child--Not speed
... and we really wish people would before posting about this, dog poop, where to day-trip, roundabouts, poor parkers, the best grocery stores, the best doctors, deed compliance issues of the (fill in your favorite) variety, and the like.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
It would be interesting to know how many homes are owned in and lived in by people actually 55 and over who house their deadbeat adult children so that the public would come to realize the number.

If one compared the percentage of criminal incidents per person of the under 55's residing in TV to that of the 55 and older the results would not be surprising, at least to me.
I can only state what I know. On my street of 13 CYV's, all are occupied by persons over 55 with no adult children living with them. Ten are full time residents and 3 are snowbirds, and none are rented out.

From what I've seen for the six years I've lived in TV, in a community of 115,000 the actual number of adult children living with their parents is not that large, I would guess less than a 1,000. There are many you never hear about because they are responsible adults who are actually caregivers for their elderly parents. You might have 500 bad apples which is less than 0.4% of the population.

The online newspaper wouldn't be read or be a successful business if they didn't have readers. It's just like the tabloid papers at the checkout stand. If they didn't have a picture of Alec Baldwin or George Clooney on the cover doing something, nobody would bother. I see the whole picture and it's a small percentage. A good many of the crime reports are people living in Wildwood or Fruitland Park and it seems the addresses get blurred together. Inside TV, you might see one adult child a day or every other day get arrested. It's not anything to worry about, you have enough 55+ adults at the squares putting away a few alcoholic beverages.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
From what I've seen for the six years I've lived in TV, in a community of 115,000 the actual number of adult children living with their parents is not that large, I would guess less than a 1,000. There are many you never hear about because they are responsible adults who are actually caregivers for their elderly parents. You might have 500 bad apples which is less than 0.4% of the population.
The online newspaper wouldn't be read or be a successful business if they didn't have readers. It's just like the tabloid papers at the checkout stand. If they didn't have a picture of Alec Baldwin or George Clooney on the cover doing something, nobody would bother. I see the whole picture and it's a small percentage. A good many of the crime reports are people living in Wildwood or Fruitland Park and it seems the addresses get blurred together. Inside TV, you might see one adult child a day or every other day get arrested. It's not anything to worry about, you have enough 55+ adults at the squares putting away a few alcoholic beverages.
I'm in total agreement with your post.
I know only three adult children living with parents in TV. All three adult children are respected members of the community.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:21 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=petsetc;1437675]Given The Villages is already the size of a small city and is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country, I would contend the issues are not the number of problem people but the fact that EVERY incident is reported and published daily. Only place I've ever been with this much "police blotter" information in your face, all the time.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I can only state what I know. On my street of 13 CYV's, all are occupied by persons over 55 with no adult children living with them. Ten are full time residents and 3 are snowbirds, and none are rented out.

The Villages will never be a "metropolitan" city, regardless of the population. It is also hard to consider it a "small city" when you consider that while there is plenty to do here, it's aptly called "The Villages."

The Villages' populace thrives on and revels in reading much of the printed dirt offered in the daily newspaper and what is available online. Even some of the topics here on TOTV indicate that TV is still very much a small town. Many have referred to TV as a type of Disneyland.

An over 55 community is the same all over the country. 20% of residents can be under 55. I am amazed at the amount of our adult residents that still don't understand the simple main and basic laws that govern this. Again -- this is indicated by the many threads and posts that refer to this.

Personally, I know of no children living permanently here with their parents. I'm not sure TV has a definite number (percentage) of those who live here who are under 55 because I don't believe they are all registered.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=Mrs. Robinson;1437813]
Quote:
Given The Villages is already the size of a small city and is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country, I would contend the issues are not the number of problem people but the fact that EVERY incident is reported and published daily. Only place I've ever been with this much "police blotter" information in your face, all the time.[/QUOTE]

The Villages will never be a "metropolitan" city, regardless of the population. It is also hard to consider it a "small city" when you consider that while there is plenty to do here, it's aptly called "The Villages."

The Villages' populace thrives on and revels in reading much of the printed dirt offered in the daily newspaper and what is available online. Even some of the topics here on TOTV indicate that TV is still very much a small town. Many have referred to TV as a type of Disneyland.

An over 55 community is the same all over the country. 20% of residents can be under 55. I am amazed at the amount of our adult residents that still don't understand the simple main and basic laws that govern this. Again -- this is indicated by the many threads and posts that refer to this.

Personally, I know of no children living permanently here with their parents. I'm not sure TV has a definite number (percentage) of those who live here who are under 55 because I don't believe they are all registered.
HUD Laws for Age-Restricted Home Communities | Home Guides | SF Gate
Old 08-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Geoff View Post
I read the paper every day and pay special attention to the crimes that happen here. Many/most seem to be committed by "village residents" in their 30s or 40s. What's up with that? We bought our home here because it fit our current stage of life -- retired, over 55. Why are there so many under 55 year-olds committing crimes here? Is this a 55+ community or not?
We young'ns come here because the place is wonderful, including low crime rates. Some misguided people are misguided and get in trouble. Very difficult to find another community with 100,000 people that is so beautiful and with low crimes.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Mrs. Robinson;1437813]
Quote:
Given The Villages is already the size of a small city and is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country, I would contend the issues are not the number of problem people but the fact that EVERY incident is reported and published daily. Only place I've ever been with this much "police blotter" information in your face, all the time.[/QUOTE]

Ms. Robinson, it has been stated many times in error, but the actual law says 4 of 5 homes must have one occupant over 55.

Theoretically all homes can be owned by 19 year olds.

Theoretically if each home had 4 residents and in 20% of the homes all 4 residents were 19 years old and in 80% 3 of the residents were 19 years old we could theoretically have a Villages that was made up of 80% 19 year olds. Maybe even higher than 80% if the legal occupancy were over 4 persons, which it probably is.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm in total agreement with your post.
I know only three adult children living with parents in TV. All three adult children are respected members of the community.
Many times we would not "know" the derelict adult children but we "know of" them.

I "know" some and and I "know of" others.

Many want to "post" only a rosy picture.
Closed Thread

Tags
crimes, community, 55+, current, stage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.