55+ community?

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Crimes and senior community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Geoff View Post
I read the paper every day and pay special attention to the crimes that happen here. Many/most seem to be committed by "village residents" in their 30s or 40s. What's up with that? We bought our home here because it fit our current stage of life -- retired, over 55. Why are there so many under 55 year-olds committing crimes here? Is this a 55+ community or not?
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, let us get real here. Quotas and standards? Enforced by who? Where is the control and record keeping that maintains the 80%? Surely you can see there is no way to evaluate, clarify or reinforce this standard, it is totally ignored.
There is a speed limit? How about that one?
There is a cart speed limit, OK so how is that handled?
I have our cart set to max speed of 19 mph. Carts on the paths speed by us at far in excess of 20, that is so obvious? Ever see anyone get a ticket? Take a very cautious view of the speeders on so many roads. Lots of revenue there so what is wrong? Have you seen all the homes letting the weeds grow? Does any one care?
We have a gated community? Oh really?, Yes gates and anyone can push the button or follow a car in.
In order to have real standards, there has to be a method of control. Good luck and try to be safe.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
We young'ns come here because the place is wonderful, including low crime rates. Some misguided people are misguided and get in trouble. Very difficult to find another community with 100,000 people that is so beautiful and with low crimes.
Very true, but it could be better if the misguided were re-guided or that they knew we were watching their misguidedness with laser-guided very watchful eyes.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack9696 View Post
...Many want to "post" only a rosy picture.
And others want to "post" only doom and gloom.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
And others want to "post" only doom and gloom.
I think that is listed on the other thread, Types of Posters.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

snipped
An over 55 community is the same all over the country. 20% of residents can be under 55. I am amazed at the amount of our adult residents that still don't understand the simple main and basic laws that govern this. Again -- this is indicated by the many threads and posts that refer to this.
snipped
I am amazed that folks do not realize that the statutes for the 55+ community refer to percentages of RESIDENCES and NOT to percentages of residents!
"At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older"
[]kernel (20) / Error - Florida Commission on Human Relations

Old 08-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'm 59, my wife is 39. Are we ok? Can we stay? I put the 39 thing in case my wife reads the first part of this post! Just as an example: a married couple man's age is 25 women's age is 22 they come to TV'S for a visit and love the place. Are they allowed to buy a home and live in it full time if they wish?

Last edited by Nucky; 08-20-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Just as an example: a married couple man's age is 25 women's age is 22 they come to TV'S for a visit and love the place. Are they allowed to buy a home and live in it full time if they wish?
Yes. As long as they aren't violating the 20% rule. And I think we have a long, long way to go.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yes. As long as they aren't violating the 20% rule. And I think we have a long, long way to go.
Also, the couple in their 20's could not have children under 19 living with them permanently.

A few years ago, I went to an open house in TV hosted by a Villages real agent representative who owned the house. I said, "Not to be nosy, but there is no way you are 55 years old, and you mentioned you have children in elementary school. How can you live in The Villages?" He said "I don't live in the home, I own it as a rental for investment purposes, but now I want to sell it. My family home is a few miles outside of TV."

So in theory, couldn't a couple (or single) in their 20's own a home in TV for 30 or more years as an investment property renting it out for all those years, then move into the home in TV when they are ready to retire? I don't know how many young couples or singles would want do that, but is it allowable?

Also, hasn't it probably happened that people well under the age of 55 have inherited a home in TV from parent(s), grandparent(s) or another relative?

Last edited by Schaumburger; 08-20-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by (snipped)

[B
So in theory, couldn't a couple (or single) in their 20's own a home in TV for 30 or more years as an investment property renting it out for all those years, then move into the home in TV when they are ready to retire? [/B] I
I know a couple in their 30s with two kids under the age of 6 who are doing just that.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
...I have our cart set to max speed of 19 mph. Carts on the paths speed by us at far in excess of 20, that is so obvious? Ever see anyone get a ticket? Take a very cautious view of the speeders on so many roads. Lots of revenue there so what is wrong?...
I can only handle one of your complaints at a time. This cart speeding business has already been discussed ad nauseam on this forum in threads directly related to golf carts. As a refresher here goes, when carts are operating on the MMP's (multimodal paths) they are on private property (Villages Land) and the police have already stated they will not ticket carts for speeding but will ticket for open container of alcohol. The cart lane on the side of public streets, example St. Charles Blvd, is handled differently and does fall into the jurisdiction of the police and the state speeding laws pertaining to golf carts.

I would guess that manpower probably dictates that ticketing speeding seniors operating a golf cart in excess of 20 mph in a retirement community is probably a lower priority than the meth lab in Wildwood or the shoplifter at Walmart or the Fruitland Park driver who's pickup truck is parked at a new home in Pine Hills removing some new stainless steel appliances would probably get higher attention. If you're unhappy with the lack of ticketing on public streets then I suggest you take your complaints to the Sumter County Sheriff's Office in Bushnell and look for this guy.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I know a couple in their 30s with two kids under the age of 6 who are doing just that.
It would be interesting to see how long they will keep the investment property in TV. Being a landlord owning in TV and living a few miles/a reasonable car ride from your rental property could be a very good long term investment. Being a landlord for many years living 1,000 or more miles away from the investment property is not something I would be interested in doing.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I am amazed that folks do not realize that the statutes for the 55+ community refer to percentages of residences and NOT to percentages of residents!
"At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older"
[]kernel (20) / Error - Florida Commission on Human Relations
Correct!
Perhaps I did a poor job of wording what I meant. I do know what the law is.

Last edited by Mrs. Robinson; 08-21-2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2017, 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=Jack9696;1437868]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

Ms. Robinson, it has been stated many times in error, but the actual law says 4 of 5 homes must have one occupant over 55.

Theoretically all homes can be owned by 19 year olds.

Theoretically if each home had 4 residents and in 20% of the homes all 4 residents were 19 years old and in 80% 3 of the residents were 19 years old we could theoretically have a Villages that was made up of 80% 19 year olds. Maybe even higher than 80% if the legal occupancy were over 4 persons, which it probably is.
Your post is absolutely incorrect! Look at what Gracie posted with a link to the correct site. The correct rule is 80% of all residents including guests/visitors must be 55 or older! The districts keeps control by how many recreation IDs are handed out! When you get an ID you have to give a birthdate. The latest figure I have heard is 8% are under 55 years old! If anybody knows of a person under 19 years old living here more than 30 days a year they need to be turned into community standards. That is a huge violation that needs to get resolved ASAP! Unfortunately when parents keep supporting children that have no initiative to maintain a job or have substance abuse issues there will probably be some crimes committed by those individuals since they have no way to support their habits!
Old 08-21-2017, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
It would be interesting to see how long they will keep the investment property in TV. Being a landlord owning in TV and living a few miles/a reasonable car ride from your rental property could be a very good long term investment. Being a landlord for many years living 1,000 or more miles away from the investment property is not something I would be interested in doing.
In this case, their very active, capable parents live about half a mile away. (Not us, by the way.) Another parent has a winter home in Buttonwood. I grew up with the mother; our kids grew up with their kids, so we know the family well. This will work. They are very interested in the community and all it has to offer.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Many snowbirds return to up north homes, hundreds of miles away, and with a good homewatch have piece of mind

Tags
crimes, community, 55+, current, stage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.