Act of kindness

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM
dbanks50 dbanks50 is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Jasper, GA & TV
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Act of kindness

Friday afternoon my husband and I went out to dinner. Shortly after we were seated, the gentleman at the table next to us asked for his bill. The waitress said it had been paid by the gentleman at the table on the other side. He had overheard the couple discussing their recent 57th anniversary. They were really shocked and most appreciative. As they got up to leave, we wished them a happy anniversary. We talked for about 10 minutes. They are a lovely couple. Thank you to the kind man who bought their dinner.
  #2  
Old 02-22-2015, 02:26 PM
folkh folkh is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PA, Village of Springdale
Posts: 248
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbanks50 View Post
Friday afternoon my husband and I went out to dinner. Shortly after we were seated, the gentleman at the table next to us asked for his bill. The waitress said it had been paid by the gentleman at the table on the other side. He had overheard the couple discussing their recent 57th anniversary. They were really shocked and most appreciative. As they got up to leave, we wished them a happy anniversary. We talked for about 10 minutes. They are a lovely couple. Thank you to the kind man who bought their dinner.
What wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing, I would love to meet the wonderful person that was so thoughtful I am sure he made there anniversary, day week and year and that walked out with a smile for someone so thoughtful!! 3 CHEERS to him!! I believe it is random act of kindness month!!!!!
  #3  
Old 02-22-2015, 02:55 PM
golf2140 golf2140 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bonita
Posts: 1,870
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Default

It happens more than most people think. Gives you a good feeling. Life is short, enjoy your time here.
__________________
Villager from 2000 until they take me out in a small box!!!
  #4  
Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM
HimandMe HimandMe is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Near Spanish Springs in TV
Posts: 548
Thanks: 66
Thanked 50 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Inspiring gesture...pay it forward ...this type of thing happens regularly in a restaurant in SW florida I know of ..most times it is completely anonymous.
  #5  
Old 02-22-2015, 04:43 PM
MikeV's Avatar
MikeV MikeV is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Village of Charlotte
Posts: 1,381
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have done this. We were at Cotillions in Wildwood for lunch and the place was full. My wife and I were sitting a four person table when we noticed a mother and daughter waiting to be seated. We told them to join us. We found out that they were celebrating the daughters 21st birthday with a day out with just mom and daughter. They were so appreciative of us asking them to sit with us that when I went to the register to pay my bill I also paid their bill. I never said anything to them as I left a tip large enough for both checks and left. My wife was very pleased and I felt great. I am not looking for accolades I tell you this story to encourage more people to do the same. If you see someone who looks like they are celebrating a special occasion or who may appear to need help paying why not anonymously help them out. You will feel really great.
__________________
New Jersey, Texas, Mississippi, Delaware, Mississippi, Viet Nam, New York, Guam, New York, Massachusetts, New York, The Villages.
  #6  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:36 PM
dbanks50 dbanks50 is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Jasper, GA & TV
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I have done this. We were at Cotillions in Wildwood for lunch and the place was full. My wife and I were sitting a four person table when we noticed a mother and daughter waiting to be seated. We told them to join us. We found out that they were celebrating the daughters 21st birthday with a day out with just mom and daughter. They were so appreciative of us asking them to sit with us that when I went to the register to pay my bill I also paid their bill. I never said anything to them as I left a tip large enough for both checks and left. My wife was very pleased and I felt great. I am not looking for accolades I tell you this story to encourage more people to do the same. If you see someone who looks like they are celebrating a special occasion or who may appear to need help paying why not anonymously help them out. You will feel really great.
When we worked at a university, we fed hungry college students who couldn't afford to go home for Thanksgiving because they wanted to go home for Christmas. We still try to help out where we can.

It's a wonderful thing to help out other people. It helps both parties.
  #7  
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Beechie Beechie is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I have done this. We were at Cotillions in Wildwood for lunch and the place was full. My wife and I were sitting a four person table when we noticed a mother and daughter waiting to be seated. We told them to join us. We found out that they were celebrating the daughters 21st birthday with a day out with just mom and daughter. They were so appreciative of us asking them to sit with us that when I went to the register to pay my bill I also paid their bill. I never said anything to them as I left a tip large enough for both checks and left. My wife was very pleased and I felt great. I am not looking for accolades I tell you this story to encourage more people to do the same. If you see someone who looks like they are celebrating a special occasion or who may appear to need help paying why not anonymously help them out. You will feel really great.
Nice story MikeV. I too have done similar things in the past and the feeling of making someones day is priceless. You could not have put this cost of kindness to better use.
  #8  
Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 3,056
Thanks: 137
Thanked 1,030 Times in 316 Posts
Default

I do this for every service man/woman and LEO I encounter in a restaurant; it's the least I can do to repay them for their service and sacrifice.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
  #9  
Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 PM
bettymg1866 bettymg1866 is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbanks50 View Post
Friday afternoon my husband and I went out to dinner. Shortly after we were seated, the gentleman at the table next to us asked for his bill. The waitress said it had been paid by the gentleman at the table on the other side. He had overheard the couple discussing their recent 57th anniversary. They were really shocked and most appreciative. As they got up to leave, we wished them a happy anniversary. We talked for about 10 minutes. They are a lovely couple. Thank you to the kind man who bought their dinner.
LOVE these "pay it forward" stories!!!! Keep it up Villagers!!!!!
  #10  
Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Beechie Beechie is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 140
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I do this for every service man/woman and LEO I encounter in a restaurant; it's the least I can do to repay them for their service and sacrifice.
Good for you. I don't think they get enough respect and gratitude for putting their life on the line every day they serve.
  #11  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:53 PM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is online now
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 6,834
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,778 Times in 728 Posts
Default

I tried to buy breakfast for Lady Lake police officer this morning, and he said they could not accept the gratuity, I was disappointed, but I thanked him for his service. I am guessing this was because I was on my way out and I offered him the money to pay for the meal. It probably would have worked if I could have waited and actually paid the bill. I will need to try harder next time.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
  #12  
Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 3,056
Thanks: 137
Thanked 1,030 Times in 316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I tried to buy breakfast for Lady Lake police officer this morning, and he said they could not accept the gratuity, I was disappointed, but I thanked him for his service. I am guessing this was because I was on my way out and I offered him the money to pay for the meal. It probably would have worked if I could have waited and actually paid the bill. I will need to try harder next time.
Being a retired LEO, never, ever offer a Police Officer money. Your intentions may be on the up and up, but you never know when "the wrong type" may observe you doing that and make a big stink out of it. I always pay their bill, discreetly, and go my way.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
  #13  
Old 02-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Chi-Town's Avatar
Chi-Town Chi-Town is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,620
Thanks: 26
Thanked 598 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Many times in Chicago the coffee shops would not write up a check for the police officers who were usually in there in pairs. They knew they were protecting their neighborhoods and more immediately their coffee shop.
  #14  
Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 AM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Many times in Chicago the coffee shops would not write up a check for the police officers who were usually in there in pairs. They knew they were protecting their neighborhoods and more immediately their coffee shop.
How about Lou Mitchells ????
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.