Activation of mailbox and telephone

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2021, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

If you “build” your home, you can certainly have the house wired for conventional phone lines……. If that’s the case, the only company <that I’m aware of> that offers a true “land line” is CenturyLink. There may be others but I doubt it….
Old 12-17-2021, 04:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Get a magic jack. Connect to your cable modem. Or just use cell phone
Old 12-17-2021, 04:07 PM
Default Activation of mailbox and telephone

When my title search came back, Peninsula Land and Title had to call me for my home address because my (correct) address at the Villages had been returned to them twice as "Return to Sender" "Not Deliverable as Addressed" "Unable to Forward".
As for my current landline, I am bundled with Comcast.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
Just bought a new home last summer. There aren't any phone outlets in the home nor wires for phone service in the low voltage cabinet in the garage. If you want a landline, I think your only option is as stated above. Get a phone line from your internet provider. It will be VOIP and will be down anytime the
internet is down.
We just moved in the end of October and it's a new build and it doesn't have a phone jack in every room but it had 5. One in each bedroom but the front, it had two and one in the living room.

We set our LL service through Comcast so it's part of your cable service and I would bet the same would be true for Spectrum. As part of my paperwork with my accepted offer, I got a list of utilities for our home. In our case CenturyLink was an option so if you only want POTS line you could still do it the old fashion way. POTS=Plain Old Telephone Service
Old 12-17-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
Welcome.

You should get a MB key at closing. Mail addressed to your name and street address will go to your mailbox. Once you close, give it a few days and then send your self a letter/postcard to test the system.

Landline phone? Does that still exist in new construction? You will need to contact the landline phone company to contract for service. If a re-sale, ask the current owner who they use.
I read on another thread what some Villagers do when they first arrive. They establish a land line and give the number to EVERYONE who is NOT a family member, close friend, and maybe their doctor(s). They keep the ringer off to the landline phone and when convenient for them, check the messages left on it. What a great idea to keep nuisance calls at a minimum!
When we arrive at the Villages this is exactly what we will do, coupled with changing our cell phone numbers and only giving it out to close friends and relatives. Also, there are apparently laws in the works to limit the spam / robo-calls that we all endure.
Although I have not checked it out, a person from my work has a robo-call screening feature on his cell phone. When I call him, a recording requires me to give my name before I can be connected to him. I suppose that those in his contact list do not have to go through this step.
And of course there is the do-not-call registry and we should all be on it. If you are not, go to: National Do Not Call Registry
Closed Thread

Tags
mailbox, telephone, activate, activation, mail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.