Advice on visit please?

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Default Advice on visit please?

My lovely wife and I will be visiting The Villages on Sunday, 14 Dec, to look around, have lunch, etc. We're doing a Disney vacation with adult kids that week and this was our only day to visit. We're staying in a hotel Sat night in Lady Lake. Any advice on what we should hit on a Sunday to get a quick glimpse of TV? Thanks, Bob (Gainesville, VA)
Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Sage

The trolley tour, from LSL sales office.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Gold member

We started the exact same way in September of 2011. Drove up from Disney while on vacation. We took a ride around the major roads and visited Lake Sumter Landing. While there we took a ride on the bus that looks like a trolly that leaves from the Sales Center. It takes you on a guided tour of The Villages. You can also talk to a Realtor about what kind of house you are looking for. Their is no pressure and everyone is very helpful and friendly. What till you see this beautiful place. We came back in January 2012 for a 4 day Lifestyle visit and moved here in September 2012. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:54 AM

visit one of the town squares if weather is good. Either Spanish Springs or Sumter Landing. There is so much to do, see, between the residents, live entertainment, and a true glimse of social life in the evening in the villages! It makes everyone feel young, and fun. It's free for the entertainment listening, and happy hour drinks are half price for an hour in Sumter Landing, and 2 hours in Spanish Springs. Truly an enlightening experience of the Villages Lifestyle.........enjoy!
Old 11-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Sage

Go to youtube and search for The Villages. Keyword search this site using the term in quotes "first visit". Spend the rest of the day reading the posts.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:57 AM

Stay at the Waterfront Inn in Sumter Landings....Better area ...walking distance to downtown square, plus a nice boardwalk around the lake, plus boat rides on the lake plus close to the shuttle bus rides that are free and close to all the restaurants..After all that grab a seat at the square for the free entertainment starting at 5pm till 9pm with a 2 4 1 happy hour starting at 5pm till 6pm...If you want you can also go to The Villages Golf Cart Store and rent a 2 or 4 seater cart for the day and take a cart ride to look around....This is what I would tell my friends to do and where to stay...
Old 11-15-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueandskip View Post
Stay at the Waterfront Inn in Sumter Landings....Better area ...walking distance to downtown square, plus a nice boardwalk around the lake, plus boat rides on the lake plus close to the shuttle bus rides that are free and close to all the restaurants..After all that grab a seat at the square for the free entertainment starting at 5pm till 9pm with a 2 4 1 happy hour starting at 5pm till 6pm...If you want you can also go to The Villages Golf Cart Store and rent a 2 or 4 seater cart for the day and take a cart ride to look around....This is what I would tell my friends to do and where to stay...
Old 11-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

While you are waiting..use this link to tour our rec centers.

No. I don't work for the developer but I do have a little imbedded thingy in my neck.

Recreation Centers
Old 11-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran member

Buy a copy of the Daily Sun newspaper and look at what open houses are around and go take a look. No pressure sales at all. Agents are there to answer any questions you may have. Definitely stop by the Eisenhower Rec Center, Trolley Tour as a previous poster mentioned. Enjoy!!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

We came for just one afternoon in March 2011 and were happy with everything we saw. We talked to everyone we met on the street, asking them about their experiences at The Villages. Everyone is friendly and happy to tell you their story. We were amazed by how active everyone was and went home to make arrangements to rent a home for a month in 2012. We did the same last month and closed on a home yesterday. Enjoy!!

And....I agree with staying at the Waterfront Inn. You'll get more of the "real experience" by being so close to Lake Sumter Landing.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Gold member

I agree about staying at the Waterfront Inn. The rooms, bedding, lake views, and walking distance to Lake Sumter Landing town square and live bands/dancing are superb at excellent prices.

I checked the website for Sunday night, and a double queen or king room with lake view is only $139. Here's their website:
Waterfront Inn Villages | The Villages, FL – USA

The other suggestions are good too, about the trolley tour which allows you to see the whole community with guides explaining it all.

And, talk with people sitting at the patio bar-restaurants and at the town squares where people are dancing to live music every night of the year. There's no place like this!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Advice for visit to TV

Bring lots of money, 'cause you will fall in love with this place and probably buy a piece of heaven.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 PM

As others have said, stay at the Waterfront Inn as you are a quick and brief walk to Sumter Landing for restaurants, nightly outdoor entertainment, Villages Golf Car Store, shopping, stadium seating movie (Old Mill Playhouse) theater and more. I would take the tour with other Villager Wannabees to get some insight as the place is huge. We haven't taken one in years...naturally....and I would hope that they would also do Spanish Springs and not just the Brownwood area in the tour. Rock & Roll and Enjoy.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Location: Caroline, Norwalk OH, Federal Way, WA. Stamford, CT. Tuscarora, PA

When you go to a square in the evening talk to people. A good opener is, "How long have you lived here?" Follow up with, "Aren't you tired of it yet?" The conversation will take off!

If you take the trolley you'll step inside the Sales Center and see the quality that pervades the Villages. Walk around nearby Lake Miona, or Sea Breeze regional rec center and experience more of the same. It's all yours.

Eat lunch at the Lighthouse Restaurant on the lake. If there's room for it, walk the Sumter Landing boardwalk and follow up with a Haagen Daaz ice cream. Notice that the speakers along the way are playing songs you remember from the 60's and 70's. And smile.

Definitely spend one hour at a pool and think to yourself, "one day that could be MY POOL."

If you hear some pocking sounds at a nearby pickleball court go and watch a few minutes and think to yourself - "don't those people know they are too old to be running around and having fun like that."

And when you stop by the Square at night and see the couples in their 60's & 70's dancing think to yourself - "they could be sitting home and watching tv every night instead of this."

Did I say, "talk to people?"

And you must . . . you must . . . you must . . . rent a golf cart for the day.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM

Definitely stay at the Waterfront Inn. It is inside The Villages. Don't waste a minute at a hotel outside The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.