alarm

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Default alarm

We are looking to move to TV and want to get a burglar alarm, not monitored. Does anyone else have this? Who did you get to install the alarm?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

I have the same thoughts, Eyegirl. I'll be keeping an eye on this post. PS: Where abouts in NY?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:39 AM

My husband says that there is only ONE place in NY...BROOKLYN!
Actually, I lived most of my life in Central NJ, now in Arizona.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyegirl View Post
We are looking to move to TV and want to get a burglar alarm, not monitored. Does anyone else have this? Who did you get to install the alarm?
We have a burglar alarm, not monitored. Her name is LolliPop and she weighs 70 lbs. She is quite inexpensive to maintain, one bag of dogfood per month.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Platinum member

From the looks of Lollipop, if a bad guy broke into your house she would probobly lick him to pieces and show him where the stuff is hidden.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Yep, I had one of those unmonitored alarms in NY. A 30-lb dachshund who sounded like a Rottweiler.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyegirl View Post
My husband says that there is only ONE place in NY...BROOKLYN!
Actually, I lived most of my life in Central NJ, now in Arizona.
My husband also says there is only one place in NY..BROOKLYN...
Old 11-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Sage

Sorry I can't help you with the name of an alarm company.

Welcome to TOTV. Love your avatar.

Originally from Yonkers, New York.

Last edited by 2BNTV; 11-25-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 11-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Veteran member
Default Pretty safe

I had a burglar alarm system for 25 years when I lived in suburban Maryland (Silver Spring) and it probably did deter some crime. There were two tries at burglary and the alarm did scare off the "perps".

Here, in The Villages, I see no use for a burglar alarm - monitored or not. There are very, very few break-ins. However, each to their own idea.

The only company listed in the phone book is Advanced Security, Inc. Their website is www.asiadvancedsecurity.com. I know nothing about them but chances are they would only want to put in a monitored system.

You probably could get some system from Wal-Mart or Best Buy and have a handyman service install it.

As I said, I feel this is an extremely safe environment. People feel safe walking neighborhoods in the dark, leave golf clubs in golf carts in parking lots, return lost wallets intact, and talk to strangers (they might become friends).
Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

I agree with Tbugs. We used to have a monitored alarm system in Albuquerque. Still didn't feel all that safe. I had planned to at least put up an alarm sign and put stickers in the windows here in TV, but decided even that was unnecessary. We feel very safe here, but always vigilant. TVers look after each other.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:29 PM

Hi,
We had an alarm in Va before we moved here-lived in a very nice friendly neighborhood. The only reason we got the alarm was that for a time my husband worked the night shift, and I would come home (and leave) at all hours. Not out partying, lol, but I was a nurse who had to take call, and also flew with our hospital helicopter-seems I always got a LONG flight right before shift change, and would have to come home to a deserted house. My husband and I talked about getting an alarm here, and were still undecided. UNTIL TODAY! Friends of ours are here who have been our next door neighbors for 15 years. We were out with them and the Villages agent. Our house is basically completed, and we close in Dec, so since it is done, all the doors are locked. They wanted to see our house, so we asked the agent(he sold us our house) if he had a key to get into our house---AND HE DID. So not only does who knows how many workers have access (or had) to our house, but apparently all 200-300 of the TV agents!!!!!! My husband says that even if we change the tumblers(?) on the lock, since it is a master lock, people can still get access. Anybody have any comments, or knowledge of this large number of people who have or might have access to our house????
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

You should change the locks on every new home. And once changed, your locks are secure unless you have a really determined thief. But a determined thief will break in no matter what. So yes there are probably several hundred keys out there that will open your home. I am sure TV only uses a couple different tumbler settings for all their homes. Call A 1 lock service. I found him to be knowledgeable, professional and came on time.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

When the homes are under construction they are unlocked most of the time. When ours was built we had access most of the time. As it became closer to completion locks appeared. The lock on the front door was a old door knob. We asked the agent and he said it would be changed a day or 2 before closing. At that point he would get the keys, for delivery to us at the walk through.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
Hi,
We had an alarm in Va before we moved here-lived in a very nice friendly neighborhood. The only reason we got the alarm was that for a time my husband worked the night shift, and I would come home (and leave) at all hours. Not out partying, lol, but I was a nurse who had to take call, and also flew with our hospital helicopter-seems I always got a LONG flight right before shift change, and would have to come home to a deserted house. My husband and I talked about getting an alarm here, and were still undecided. UNTIL TODAY! Friends of ours are here who have been our next door neighbors for 15 years. We were out with them and the Villages agent. Our house is basically completed, and we close in Dec, so since it is done, all the doors are locked. They wanted to see our house, so we asked the agent(he sold us our house) if he had a key to get into our house---AND HE DID. So not only does who knows how many workers have access (or had) to our house, but apparently all 200-300 of the TV agents!!!!!! My husband says that even if we change the tumblers(?) on the lock, since it is a master lock, people can still get access. Anybody have any comments, or knowledge of this large number of people who have or might have access to our house????
New construction locks are set to be accessible to a number of individuals, including workers and agents. After you close on the house (usually within hours after closing), you will do a walk through with the builder. At that point, he will adjust your locks so only your keys will work. Remember, it's not really your home until after closing.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the replies and comments-hope it is very true. I did read on here once that someone had closed and were in their house unpacking and heard something at the door. They went to check it out, and a workman was entering their house that was locked. They said he made some excuse and left, but they wondered how he had a key that opened their house at that time. Good to know other thoughts though!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.