Am I Crazy?

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJedi View Post
Thanks for the responses! My hubby is getting a kick out of how I am on the TOTV boards now! LOL! We have watched the DVD from the sales office and I already subscribe to the VMail and I have The Daily Sun app on my phone!! See? Crazy! :-) Yes, I am a Disney fanatic! I love it! Used to go often when I lived in Florida; now I have to fly across the country to get there. Boo! Thanks for the heads up on the music scene. I like all types, but as a Gen-Xer (almost 47) I know it will be awhile before NIN or Muse (my favorites) plays the squares. [emoji13]
Do you visit The Villages webcams? Go to thevillages.com and click on the yellow temperature. It s\ould ask you if you want to run a program say yes (it's harmless. Now you can see all 3 webcams
Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 AM

Thanks for all the encouraging words! I just woke up (Pacific Coast Time) and was thrilled with all the responses! Thank you for not thinking I am crazy! :-) Our move to TV is still far off, but I feel I am now one step closer. Watch out...Gen X on its way! [emoji4]
Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM

Oh, yes! I love the webcams!! :-)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina
Smile don't wait if you're ready

Quote:
Hello all! I've been a lurker here at TOTV for a few months and like what I see! Hubby and I are T.H.I.N.K.E.R.S (two healthy incomes, no kids, early retirement) and are Gen-Xers. My dream is to have a home someday at TV! It will be a few years until we are 55+, but TV already seems like exactly what we want/need! Am I crazy? Will we be welcomed as two 55 year olds when the time comes? We are envisioning spending spring and fall in FL and winter and summer in the western state we reside now...with plans to spend more time in FL as the years pass. We have lived in FL before and loved it! Thoughts? Am I crazy? [emoji12]
Come now. I'm 53 and I still work. I work from home, so I can be here now. I love it every single day. My neighbor down the street is 48 and her husband is 50. They love it. Maybe if you were 30, the age difference would matter, but for me it doesn't make one bit of difference. I have friends now all the way up to 80's. They're just great awesome people to me. I don't see their age.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Come on ahead

Quote:
Hello all! I've been a lurker here at TOTV for a few months and like what I see! Hubby and I are T.H.I.N.K.E.R.S (two healthy incomes, no kids, early retirement) and are Gen-Xers. My dream is to have a home someday at TV! It will be a few years until we are 55+, but TV already seems like exactly what we want/need! Am I crazy? Will we be welcomed as two 55 year olds when the time comes? We are envisioning spending spring and fall in FL and winter and summer in the western state we reside now...with plans to spend more time in FL as the years pass. We have lived in FL before and loved it! Thoughts? Am I crazy? [emoji12]

My wife and I are moving into our TV home yet this afternoon. We went to Cancun earlier this year with two of our couple-best friends. We are in our late 60s and all four of them are in their late 40s. They are the ages of our kids but that has made no difference to them or to us.

In fact, one of the couples told us that if we run into a "deal" here to let him know as he'll buy now so that they and their friends have a place to go to during the cold Nebraska winters. And they'll then have their retirement home well in advance.

In other words, my suggestion is that you move forward!! And welcome in advance.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all the encouraging words! I just woke up (Pacific Coast Time) and was thrilled with all the responses! Thank you for not thinking I am crazy! :-) Our move to TV is still far off, but I feel I am now one step closer. Watch out...Gen X on its way! [emoji4]
OK. Gen X--born 1965-1980. Nine Inch Nails and Muse became popular around 80-85. So here's my guess: 47.

BTW, I heard some Frankie Goes To Hollywood at Spanish Springs.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Don't worry around your age around here, you will surely fit right in, so go ahead and retire early...why wait?? I sold my business this past January and bought a nice house here the very next month! I was age 47 and 48 now. My wife is only 43. We also don't have any two legged children, just two of the furry four legged type. We have a great neighbor near us who is also 48 and she also loves it here. Although everyone on our street is older than us, we really don't notice this age difference and some of our neighbors actually act younger and have more energy and are more active than we are! We hope to be as active and fit as they are when we are permanently living here.

We didn't have a problem being allowed in at our ages, as the law states 20% (hence my username) under age 55 can be allowed to live here. Our real estate agent just put in a call to the management, told them we are willing to pay cash for a brand new house and bingo, we were approved and in like Flynn! I would suggest buying south of 466a as we did because the occupants are overall younger here than up north.

I also felt that buying a house here sooner rather than later was not only a great lifestyle change but also a wise financial investment. As fast as a lot of homes sell and the way the prices are rising in TV, I figured buying sooner would save me a great deal of money other than waiting until later when the proposed "build out" may occur. I don't know your salaries or financial condition but consider, if you put off buying now and wait another few years to continue working and then the type of house you want here has appreciated 'X' amount by then, will the extra money you made working, far exceed this additional cost? If not, then maybe you're working for nothing and can in reality be here sooner than you even imagined. Or, if you're in very good financial shape, what about buying here at today's price, work your retirement out and then rent your house in the meantime and have it pay it's own expenses?

You're not crazy for wanting to live here. We don't feel crazy living here and enjoy every day we spend down here. Plus, don't forget, Disney is calling your name!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Just so you know, if you are crazy you'll have a problem. I don't think we have any shrinks here.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:08 PM

I loved FGTH back in the late 80's / early 90's! Yes, I am almost 47. Thanks for the great advice, encouraging words, and welcoming tone! :-)
Old 10-01-2014, 03:33 AM
Sage

TVJedi, From a younger wannabee (almost 54) I recommend that you take a Lifestyle Preview Visit (4 to 7 days) which can be arranged through The Villages sales office. You will get a taste of what it is like in The Villages. In the slower season (May through about mid-fall) you can pretty easily rent a home in The Villages for a week or two at a time from private homeowners in The Villages who are either snowbirds or who live in The Villages full time but also own rental homes. I have rented short term in TV several times in the past few years to get a feel of what living in different villages is like. Good luck in your research!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Great idea! We will plan on doing a visit someday relatively soon. :-) How exciting!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///
Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Our vision is to be snowflakes at first. Reverse snowflakes, as we like to snow ski and have a place in the west to do so. Question: what is tricare standard for military retirees like around TV (not tricare for life)
Old 10-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Our vision is to be snowflakes at first. Reverse snowflakes, as we like to snow ski and have a place in the west to do so. Question: what is tricare standard for military retirees like around TV (not tricare for life)
Hi, I too am a TV Gonnabe like yourself in 5-7 years and also a Fed Employee (VA Nurse). I know there is a VA Clinic (CBOC) right in TV, but with regards to Tricare you may want to post your inquiry on the Health Message Board and you will probably get a number of good responses there.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:24 PM

Good point! Great to meet a fellow TV Wannabe!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.