Amazon delivery

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2022, 08:02 AM
Default Amazon delivery

Newbie here in Deluna. Whats the deal with Amazon here? Do they just deliver to your home address as per usual or does the mail station come into play. I should have asked at closing but I forgot about it.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

All depends who ships it.
Some come direct from Amazon others USPS.
TV postal system has nothing to do with determining which.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

If your package is delivered by the Amazon truck or UPS, it will come directly to your house. But, sometimes, Amazon will choose to pass off a package to the Post Office, and you will pick it up at the mail station or delivered to your house by the USPS. Also, for some items, you can choose to pick up the item at an Amazon locker nearby if you want to get it earlier.

The tracking number is a good way to determine who will deliver it, a number beginning with "9" is the Post Office, "1z" is the UPS, and "T" is Amazon.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Yes, both. Last-mile (to your door) varies we get both from Amazon.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Our village is just a bit over a year old. During this first year all Amazon deliveries came via USPS, UPS or FedEx. If by USPS it might have been placed in your mail box, postal locker or delivered to your house. Just this past week I’ve started getting deliveries from the Amazon van.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-24-2022, 10:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,960 Times in 752 Posts

Amazon notifications will tell where it has been delivered at postal mail drop or picture at front door home delivery.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Our village is just a bit over a year old. During this first year all Amazon deliveries came via USPS, UPS or FedEx. If by USPS it might have been placed in your mail box, postal locker or delivered to your house. Just this past week I’ve started getting deliveries from the Amazon van.
Pretty much our experience also. It seems that the first few months of a new section the deliveries can be a little bumpy, but then it smooths out. Almost 3 years now and no complaints on deliveries for any of the services.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&JenC View Post
Newbie here in Deluna. Whats the deal with Amazon here? Do they just deliver to your home address as per usual or does the mail station come into play. I should have asked at closing but I forgot about it.
We closed in Jan 2022 and for the first few months everything went to the postal station. I'm guessing that once Google Maps gets updated that's when packages start coming to your door. I'd say since early May it's been a pretty regular thing for packages to get dropped at our door.

I'm wondering if you're the Tom from Jersey I've been chatting with?
Roy
Old 06-25-2022, 06:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
UPS, FedEx, and Amazon all deliver to your home, but sometimes UPS (and Amazon?) delivers to one of the large mailboxes at your postal station instead. If you get a message from UPS saying your package has been delivered, but it’s not on your porch, chances are it is in your postal station, and the key to the box is in your own mailbox. I haven’t been able to figure out how they decide where to leave packages. Sometimes a rather heavy box is left at the postal station, and sometimes a tiny bag is left at my porch. However, USPS boxes or oversized items in bags are left at the postal stations if possible. This is very nice. Where I lived before moving here, I had to drive to the post office to pick up an oversized package, and that was five miles away.

One thing about shipping. I don’t know how Amazon Prime can cover shipping costs for most things—they must have amazing deals with shippers. However, I sell used musical instruments and books sometimes on eBay, Amazon, and Reverb (for instruments), and I can tell you that if I weigh and measure the box and buy shipping from those companies, I save a LOT, and I assume other sellers do, too. For example, if I take a box with a guitar in it to a pack and ship store to the UPS Annex or something, it might cost me $150, but if I buy the shipping from one of the above companies, the best price may be more like $85. (FedEx is sometimes cheaper but nearly often much more.) I print out the shipping and postage label and drop off the box at any pack and ship—without having to stand in line.

Another interesting thing: If I buy a used book on Amazon for $5, I have to pay $3.99 shipping plus tax. If I sell a used book for $5, however, Amazon takes $4.11 of that and charges me two kinds of tax. The cardboard mailer costs me 75 cents, and tape maybe a quarter. If the buyer isn’t too far away and the book isn’t too heavy, my shipping for a book may be only $3.25, as I then have access to a Printed Matter rate that is not available to me at the Post Office and is cheaper than Media Mail. So that sale may make me as little as three cents or as much as 78 cents, judging from past sales. So I won’t sell a book for under $5, and I only sell them to get rid of them, not to make money. If a book won’t sell for $5, I give it away to the local library for a sale.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
The Amazon people are wizards! They deliver directly to addresses in The Villages. Just indicate where you want the package to be delivered when you order. For example, “Leave package on the side of my house.” Or “Leave in front of my door.” This is what I do. Not sure if you order large packages, however. Should work the same, or they might use the mail station for those.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Amazon uses the least expensive means of delivery. In some cases they use USPS. Because USPS deliveries in The Villages come thru the neighborhood mail stations, your packages(s) must be picked up there. If you lived in a place where your mail was delivered to your home, then that’s where your packages would be delivered. I don’t like it that way either, but that’s the way it is.

To my knowledge you can’t specify the means of delivery by Amazon. Their computers will always choose the least expensive means of delivery.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:18 AM
Default Newbie

Quote:
We are wondering same thing as use Amazon often and we are closing in DeLuna July 1st, moving in maybe August. Thanks for the question.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:59 AM

Your shipping confirmation tells you where your shipment might be delivered:

USPS tracking number --> your mail station.

UPS, FedEx, DHL tracking number --> your home address

Amazon tracking number --> your home address

Now for something confusing...some FedEx and UPS start out on their trucks, but end up at the mail station. Look at the tracking number to see if there's a handoff to USPS.

And to complicate things further, sometimes the mail station people will deliver packages to your home if they have time, or run out of lockers.

We are in Marsh Bend, and have been happy to get everything delivered as expected.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 06-25-2022, 09:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Delivery to your front door always makes my wife nervous.
They do take a picture from your front door and sometimes post a notice of a delivery on line.

If your gone for awhile and have a Amazon order, you better make plans to have someone
pick your order from your front door until you return.

This happens a lot with my snowbird neighbors.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

A little of topic but UPS use to deliver by golf cart. They had a trailer and would go through the neighborhoods. Not sure they do that anymore. I use to like it before Amazon created their own delivery system, UPS and FedEx were just fine, now add Amazon…. I try to avoid buying from Amazon but unfortunately in this day and age you can’t avoid it sometimes. Generally deliveries are placed inside our screened entryway.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, mail, station, play, asked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.