Any Indians in the villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2019, 01:10 AM
Default Any Indians in the villages?

Hi folks! I’m Indian. I’ve lived in the Midwest for close to 30 years now. Looking to retire and move to TV. Just out of curiosity, are there many (any) Indians in TV?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Krishna
Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

There is a new group that started up and just had what looked to be a great first gathering with Indian food, dance, music. I would have to research what the name is but it looked to be well attended. The Villages has a strong Caucasian leaning but there is multi culturalism here, not like a major city though.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:33 AM

Good to hear, and thanks for your response! I’m looking forward to making a visit sometime later this year!

Krishna
Old 02-07-2019, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
There is a new group that started up and just had what looked to be a great first gathering with Indian food, dance, music. I would have to research what the name is but it looked to be well attended. The Villages has a strong Caucasian leaning but there is multi culturalism here, not like a major city though.
Quote:
The club will meet on the first Thursday of the month at Pimlico Recreation Center. For membership and other information, contact Marwah at (412) 720-8048.
There is this from the rival site to Talk of the Villages with respect to news of the Villages. They had 200 people at their recent first meeting. From the other news site--
Quote:
The Indo-American Club of The Villages held its inaugural event at the Pimlico Recreation Center this past Thursday.
indo-american club the villages - Google Search

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-07-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Wow! Interesting comments at the end of that article. Hopefully those are not representative of the majority of the villagers!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Please ignore those that reply with racist tone. The politics and racism that one can encounter here can smell of hatred. There are many loving, happy, accepting people. I was disappointed to miss their inaugural event, I had not seen it advertised. I had a close working relationship with the Indo Canadian community when I lived in British Columbia. Hope you will move here. Please focus on the people who have good attitude. If I did not do that I would have to move.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:44 AM

Do you celebrate Diwali? I LOVE the food.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM

Thanks For your response, Jane! I really appreciate it.

Krishna
Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
Do you celebrate Diwali? I LOVE the food.
We do celebrate Diwali. But living in America, we celebrate Diwali during thanksgiving. That way all the family and kids come home for the long weekend. And we invite our neighbors and friends for a huge Indian meal at Thanksgiving.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There are many physicians in this area with East Indian heritage. They may not LIVE in The Villages, but live nearby. Our physician, Dr. Trenny Gulati is of East Indian Heritage.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Hi Krishna and welcome to TOTV. I had no intention of responding to this subject until I saw that you had, unfortunately, read comments at the bottom of the online newspaper article. Please do not let that make up your mind about TV, they are the dark underbelly of society that always rears its ugly head because they never have to show their faces or sign their names to their disgusting comments. These people are always there in every town in the world, not just here in the USA.

Like others, I have an Indian physician, mine is a brilliant hand Surgeon. A very educated and knowledgeable man who can converse on any subject. I am biased because my husband and I spent several years living in the UK where there is no bias shown towards Indians and there is an Indian Restaurant on every corner.

Krishna, be assured that if you chose to live here you will find your niche and enjoy a wonderful retirement.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Hi Krishna and welcome to TOTV. I had no intention of responding to this subject until I saw that you had, unfortunately, read comments at the bottom of the online newspaper article. Please do not let that make up your mind about TV, they are the dark underbelly of society that always rears its ugly head because they never have to show their faces or sign their names to their disgusting comments. These people are always there in every town in the world, not just here in the USA.

Like others, I have an Indian physician, mine is a brilliant hand Surgeon. A very educated and knowledgeable man who can converse on any subject. I am biased because my husband and I spent several years living in the UK where there is no bias shown towards Indians and there is an Indian Restaurant on every corner.

Krishna, be assured that if you chose to live here you will find your niche and enjoy a wonderful retirement.
Thank you Madelaine, I appreciate what you said. I’m a physician too. And I lived in the Uk for 3 years while I did my FRCS. Of course I’m an Anglophile and I love my Scotch and I love to play golf and tennis! I hunt, fish and I’m an avid biker. I used to be a member of an English club in Madison and we used to meet for dinner once a month and toast the queen with a glass of port after a wonderful steak dinner.

I’m looking forward to going down to the Villages and making new friends. I’m interested in golf, bicycling, tennis, women and scotch, but not particularly in that order!

Krishna
Old 02-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Wow! Interesting comments at the end of that article. Hopefully those are not representative of the majority of the villagers!
No. Not at all. You will find loud mouthed bigots mainly online but they are few and far between among the real people here in the Villages. We have been here since June of 2005 and I can only recall maybe under ten outright racist comments made by people in real life settings.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't see any problem here, real or imagined. Most people old enough to live here look for similarities, not differences. There are always a few pills everywhere and assuredly there are many envious people who do not live here who post on public blogs, trying always to hurt what they do not have.

We have been blessed in our life to know many people from different cultures. I hope the OP likes all of us. I think that as a group we Villagers are exceptionally nice.

Tags
indians, curiosity, reply, krishna, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.