Arriving in two weeks - Newbie Questions

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Default Arriving in two weeks - Newbie Questions

Hello all. Great forum here for exchanging information. I'm scheduled to close on a resale later this month and am so looking forward to becoming a member of the TV community. I plan to live in the Villages six months per year and my current home in southeast Florida six months (with the possibility of eventually living full-time in TV). I have these questions:

1. Realtors I've spoken to emphasize the importance of location and they say proximity to one of the three town squares is something people find desirable. How close is close in your opinion? I will be living about 1.4 miles from one of the squares. Is that considered a desirable distance for rentals or resales?

2. What are some of the reasons people leave the Villages, other than family, health or employment?

3. Golf seems to be waning in popularity in some parts of the country. It's not unusual to see golf courses (or parts of them) being converted to housing or parks where I live now in southeast Florida. I know golf is very much alive and well in the Villages, but hypothetically, what do you think might happen in the future if interest tapers off in TV? Is anyone aware of any stipulations set forth by the developer as to how golf courses could and could not be repurposed if any of them ever become financially unsustainable?

4. In your opinion, is it okay to do without hurricane insurance? I've read that the Villages is the safest area in Florida for hurricanes.

5. I don't think I'll have a golf cart, so instead I'm considering getting one of those three wheeled scooters with a seat and handlebars. Is it safe to leave them at stores, rec centers, etc. (with the key taken out of the ignition of course)? Any reports of them being stolen? Where do people park them?

Thanks for input on any or all of the questions!
Old 01-07-2020, 03:14 PM
Gold member

Being close to a town square is nice but not really that important. After a while you really won't be going there that much. Golf cart is a better option then that scooter. I don't think their allowed on the golf cart trails. I think it's important to have a safe exit from your area where you will be living. Such a stoplight or roundabout. Some exits are very hard to make a left turn on. Just ask the people on Morse avenue near San Marino. Some of those areas are impossible to get out of when the snowbirds are here.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

1. I personally do not think that distance to a tow square matters.
2. ---
3. None of us could ever answer this, other than guessing.
4. I would neve advise anyone about insurance. Too personal.
5. That is not a good option. Once you are here you see that for yourself.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

A scooter, I've had two neighbors both buy Yamaha Scooters within the past five years. One crashed within the first month and spent a week in the hospital. The other rode it a lot for about six months and then hasn't touched it in two years. They were about $4500 new and look like this and they had to get training and an endorsement on their driver's license. You can get a 3 wheel kit installed on a Yamaha for about $3,000.

Any other scooter cheaper is probably some $1800 Chinese piece of junk and you wouldn't really be too happy with it. With a scooter you would need regular insurance and a license plate, of course you could drive off campus, but you would have a car for that. Do yourself a favor and get a golf cart.

The Villages Florida

Insurance, hurricanes fall under wind damage. Other than fire, that's the next possible catastrophe that could damage your home, so why not have coverage. In fact, I don't think you can homeowners insurance without wind damage. Here in The Villages the greatest danger would be wind damage from a tornado, since we're the lightning capitol of American a tornado can happen anytime anywhere. The only consideration to add to insurance would be flood or sink hole. Yes on sink hole and catastrophic collapse insurance since were are in sink hole alley, and flood insurance only if you're in a flood zone. Go to Villages Insurance, an independent agent owned by TV with locations at every square and they'll set you.

Near a square, well if you in a resale, especially between 466 and 44 you'll be within 3 to 4 miles to a square and maybe like myself in Tamarind Grove, I'm within that distance to two squares, LSL and BW. Even if you're north of 466 you'll probably be close to SS square. It's only the new homes that have the distance and golf cart availability to a square limitations. Buy the home (resale) that you like and the price you desire.

Golf courses that are already built are here to stay, at least in our lifetime, especially in Florida.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

Near the square for ownership is really personal preference. Even though I don’t dance on the squares as much as I did, I still like being near the square so I can walk or bike to coffee or dinner. When it comes to rentals, you can charge more, and they will have higher occupancy rates if they are close to a square. People who come down for a month or three seem to like the convenience and enjoy dancing like the new folks.

Your distance of 1.4 miles is probably close enough from a rental point of view.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

In Florida, scooters like the ones in the photo above are considered regular motor vehicles, which means they can't be taken on the golf cart or MMV trails. Those are reserved for golf carts, bicycles, pedestrians, roller skates, and Segways. I -believe- skateboards are allowed as well but I don't remember seeing it included in the rules, and I don't recall anyone ever asking about it here.

Scooters are pretty pointless unless you only plan on using it around your own neighborhood - in which case it's still pretty pointless.

If by scooter you mean something more similar to a wheelchair, like a Hov-Around, they are definitely not very practical for long distance use, and you can't go fast enough to keep up with traffic on the golf cart lanes on Morse or the main side-roads (like Avenida Central); and VERY limited sidewalks means you'd be stuck riding those things in some pretty hefty and scary traffic.

If you are physically capable of using a golf cart, I think I and almost everyone here on this forum will recommend you re-consider your decision not to get one. Either that, or expect to drive a car everywhere outside your own neighborhood.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

By your questions OP, you are not a US national. Forgive if I have that wrong.

Scooters here mean a moped, a mobility cart or a step through frame motorcycle. Hover round is a brand name of mobility cart.

Hurricane insurance is homeowners insurance. If you have a mortgage you will be required to have it. If you own your home it is an excellent idea..

Golf is very popular in the over 55 crowd.

One mile+/- is the closest designer home village in Brownwood, the village of Collier. You can get closer in the other squares. That is quite close.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the responses so far. You guys are the best! As of now, I don't think a golf cart is in the cards because I'll be renting my place out part of the time, and the landlord (TV's own property manager) doesn't allow golf carts because of the potential liability. And now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't get a scooter with a seat, even a foldable one, because it would be too big and heavy to put in my car every time I rent the place out. So an electric stand up scooter might be better. I would use it to go to the places that are not quite walking distance but too close to drive to (like that town center 1.4 miles away). OrangeBlossomBaby, the idea of a skateboard sounds interesting, but probably not for me. I can't wait to see some of us in the over age 55 crowd tooling around town on a skateboard though!

Oh, that reminds me. I saw a post on another board that said you don't have to be age 55+ to buy a resale. Is that true? I thought HUD requires 80% of a community's residents to be that age in order to remain a designated senior housing development.

Fortunately my place is a half mile from two Villages rec centers and a mile from a regional rec center. I look forward to walking to those. That's one of the reasons I decided on this particular house. I'm looking forward to pickleball, volleyball, wood shop, bridge, singing and jamming, lifelong learning, strolling the nature trails and all the other activities the Villages is so well known for. TV seems to be right up my alley as I'm single, active and love to get out and do stuff.

JohnW, you are probably right that we need hurricane insurance because it also covers tornadoes, so thanks for that.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:07 PM
Veteran member
Smile

[QUOTE=Toymeister;1708109]By your questions OP, you are not a US national. Forgive if I have that wrong.

You mean the Liverpoolwalrus handle? That's a reference to the Beatles, Toymeister. Nothing to forgive. You're good. I can understand why you thought I might be from England, but I'm a proud, lifelong American having spent most of my life in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC.

Just for the record, I believe there's a Liverpool in New York and Illinois and perhaps other states.

Thanks to all for the responses so far. You guys are the best! As of now, I don't think a golf cart is in the cards because I'll be renting my place out part of the time, and the landlord (TV's own property manager) doesn't allow golf carts because of the potential liability. And now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't get a scooter with a seat, even a foldable one, because it would be too big and heavy to put in my car every time I rent the place out. So an electric stand up scooter might be better. I would use it to go to the places that are not quite walking distance but too close to drive to (like that town center 1.4 miles away). OrangeBlossomBaby, the idea of a skateboard sounds interesting, but probably not for me. I can't wait to see some of us in the over age 55 crowd tooling around town on a skateboard though!

Oh, that reminds me. I saw a post on another board that said you don't have to be age 55+ to buy a resale. Is that true? I thought HUD requires 80% of a community's residents to be that age in order to remain a designated senior housing development.

Fortunately my place is a half mile from two Villages rec centers and a mile from a regional rec center. I look forward to walking to those. That's one of the reasons I decided on this particular house. I'm looking forward to pickleball, volleyball, wood shop, bridge, singing and jamming, lifelong learning, strolling the nature trails and all the other activities the Villages is so well known for. TV seems to be right up my alley as I'm single, active and love to get out and do stuff.

JohnW et al, you are probably right that we need hurricane insurance because it also covers tornadoes, so thanks for that.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 01-07-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:10 AM

You Need a golf cart..3 wheel scooter could be dangerous..
1.6 miles from a town sq is ok but far by GC.
Have fun relax and enjoy..welcome
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Being close to a town square is nice but not really that important. After a while you really won't be going there that much. Golf cart is a better option then that scooter. I don't think their allowed on the golf cart trails. I think it's important to have a safe exit from your area where you will be living. Such a stoplight or roundabout. Some exits are very hard to make a left turn on. Just ask the people on Morse avenue near San Marino. Some of those areas are impossible to get out of when the snowbirds are here.
Actually, scooters are allowed on the trails/paths (but not the golf courses themselves). It has to be 49cc or less, most that advertise 50cc are actually 49cc anyway. Remember though that the speed limit on the paths is 20mph no matter what you drive.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:54 AM

Go with another rental management company. When we rented, especially 3 to 6 months, we preferred a place with a golf cart. Insurance on one isn't expensive and you can write in the contract using the cart at the renter's own risk. Although I never had a problem. We didn't race around in the carts supplied with houses. Renting a cart just adds to the expense of renting while visiting or staying to find our forever home.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Here's the largest Villages Rental Website with 1650 rentals. Look up homes like yours and you'll see what your competition will be and the rates. As HappyRetired mentioned, a golf cart is almost standard on rentals, it's one of the selling points even for non-golfers. On my street of 13 villas, five have carts and yet don't golf.

https://www.villagershomes4rent.com/
Old 01-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I use a golf cart and a 10 to 15 minute one way trip is fine. A car is a little faster. I guess your choice is close enough to walk or within about a 10 minute commune. Don't forget the possibility of noise from the center.

A fire might be less likely than a hurricane so maybe skip insurance??? I would get a homeowners policy with hurricane. Sink hole depends on how close to the ponds you are.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDhot View Post
Hometown property Mgmt is terrible
If you are referring to the Village’s Empty Nest program, I respectfully disagree. I have used them for 10 months now and they have helped me get furniture, instal appliances, receive packages and in general help me out whenever I needed it. They report regularly on all relevant items in the house, prepare it for me before I arrive and close it up after I leave. They have continually gone above and beyond my expectations. One little gesture among many, for example, after I got my new fridge there was a box of baking powder in it to keep it fresh for when I arrive. I couldn’t be happier with a home minder!
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, villages, people, florida, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.